Setting up WVO on my OBS

Simone0414

Reaction score
Does the V3 come with any gauges?? Every kit should have at least a fuel pressure gauge but a veg temp gauge is real good to have. I wouldn't run veg without them.

Mdub707

Reaction score
The only thing they did come with was a cheap Isspro fuel level gauge. I agree, fuel pressure is VITAL, and many of us have recommended that the new kits come with them, or at least make it an option. Troubleshooting without one is pointless.

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
Does the V3 come with any gauges?? Every kit should have at least a fuel pressure gauge but a veg temp gauge is real good to have. I wouldn't run veg without them.

No gauges... If ya buy a VO tank from BFT it comes with a 0-240ohm sender, but you need to provide a gauge and a mount. Once upon a time the kit included a fuel level gauge and a steering wheel pod - but I guess they shaved a little off the 'kit' price since alot of folks used a different gauge and pod anyway.

One 'cheap trick' is to use a 0-100psi pressure gauge that is also 0-240ohm. Then you can use a SPDT switch to select FP or fuel level. 100psi would be 'full' and 50psi would be '1/2 tank'.

Another option is to use a 10-160ohm fuel level sender like OE tank and switch between fuel tanks indicated by OE gauge.

To be honest, if I had to choose fuel level or fuel pressure - I'd take fuel pressure all day long. I agree w/simone, FP is critical info with ANY modified fuel system.

As far as the insulation goes, I strongly recommend TIH as opposed to standard V3 HOH anyway. Adds about $30 to DIY and renders the insulation optional/not needed... ;)

The smoothest set-up would be a Riffraff F650 dash with a couple switches labeled for V3 system and fuel level and fuel pressure gauges in it! :rockon:

Mdub707

Reaction score
To be honest, if I had to choose fuel level or fuel pressure - I'd take fuel pressure all day long. I agree w/simone, FP is critical info with ANY modified fuel system.

As far as the insulation goes, I strongly recommend TIH as opposed to standard V3 HOH anyway. Adds about $30 to DIY and renders the insulation optional/not needed... ;)

I didn't know it came with NO guages now. I also agree, fuel pressure all day long. I have Isspro EV2 fuel pressure 0-100psi and EV2 fuel level side by side. Love the EV2's.

I'm going to HIH myself real soon. Or TIH like you say (I assume that is tube in hose?). The new coolant hoses supplied with a V3 are inferior to the old Goodyear hose that used to come with the kits too. There have definitely been a FEW areas that parts are a little "cheaper", but it's still hands down the best kit out there for a 7.3/6.0.

FN74

Reaction score
Wow, I didn't even know that the kits don't come with any gauges or insulation anymore. Hmmm. Used to come with Fuel level gage and pod with tank order, and Fuel pressure was an optional item.

After my shoulder heals up a bit more, I am thinking about hopping back into the Biz at least part time as a dealer, Likely early next year. I see some great opportunities for "Dealer Options".

On the OP question about WMO- The Vegistroke won't have any issue handling the Oil. It doesn't much care what fuel goes through it, so long as the viscosity is within an acceptable range. That said though- would be best to do a thorough flush between WVO to WMO by running at least a 1/3 tank of good ol #2 after running alt. fuel as low as possible and maybe pumping draining tank. This would give a comfortable margin of Flush/Dilution.

Snake

Reaction score
Wow, I didn't even know that the kits don't come with any gauges or insulation anymore. Hmmm. Used to come with Fuel level gage and pod with tank order, and Fuel pressure was an optional item.

After my shoulder heals up a bit more, I am thinking about hopping back into the Biz at least part time as a dealer, Likely early next year. I see some great opportunities for "Dealer Options".

On the OP question about WMO- The Vegistroke won't have any issue handling the Oil. It doesn't much care what fuel goes through it, so long as the viscosity is within an acceptable range. That said though- would be best to do a thorough flush between WVO to WMO by running at least a 1/3 tank of good ol #2 after running alt. fuel as low as possible and maybe pumping draining tank. This would give a comfortable margin of Flush/Dilution.

Look who showed up to the party! :bowfast:

Mdub707

Reaction score

I think a few things have been "changed" on the kit since you've had it. I had a lengthy discussion with some crazy old guy in AZ about this... hoses have changed, including fuel and coolant, relays are cheaper, etc. A few small things. Nothing that would prevent me from buying the kit, but just things to point out.

FN74

Reaction score
I love to crash party's from time to time.:jammin: Kind of like the "Where's Waldo" of oil. Grease stained shirt and all. I am thinking there might be a biz op here for me to start selling kits, but with a bonus kit that includes all the stuff I used to include with it, and maybe some poetic extras.

To the OP- Any updates??

Mdub707

Reaction score
I love to crash party's from time to time.:jammin: Kind of like the "Where's Waldo" of oil. Grease stained shirt and all. I am thinking there might be a biz op here for me to start selling kits, but with a bonus kit that includes all the stuff I used to include with it, and maybe some poetic extras.

To the OP- Any updates??

If you're going to start selling kits, or some sort of a kit again, I've got a list of things/ideas you might like to hear about. :popcorn::thumbsup:

Yodersstrokin96

Reaction score
The OP is back starting college and this could pay for itsself driving......... i will most likely get a V4 and either 30-60 gallon tank in the bed. i am curious how its tied into the fuel system? running Electric fuel currently

Mdub707

Reaction score
The only way it ties into the diesel side is the vegistroke ties into the wiring on your electric fuel pump, so once the temp switch is activated on the vegistroke manifold, it begins pumping fuel until it builds pressure, and it kicks the pressure switch, once the pressure switch is kicked, it takes power away from your diesel pump and turns the green light on the cab. This tells you that your diesel pump is off, you are pumping WVO now and burning veg! That's really the only reason for needing the electric fuel system.

Other than that, the diesel and veggie sides stay separate.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Ideally the deadhead is how it is set up. You CAN figure out a way to use a RR, but you're going to have to buy some more electric switching check valves and it just adds to the complexity of your system and more parts to fail.

There were some discussions on the BFT site about how to utilize a RR with the system.

The vegistroke is based off of using a dead head system though. The veggie feeds in the opposite end of the head of the diesel. On a 6.0 for instance, diesel is fed into the front of the heads and there are normally plugs on the back of the heads. We remove the plugs and feed veggie in from the rear, and just use check valves in the front of the heads to stop cross contamination.

Yodersstrokin96

Reaction score
i was talking to a guy who ran it 75-50 % in one of his tanks all summer long until it got cold then he ran diesel in the winter i think this would be an easier route right now i will prob be inthe market for a reg. cab 5speed to do the full swap but i will see who knows i would hate to not be able to use my new irate fuel line set up

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.