Shocks

smokinstroker

Reaction score
How would you compare the ride of the 2.0 IFP to the 2.0 resi?

The ride will be practically the same. The resi will shine when you are abusing the shock as it lets the fluid cool faster than the non resi can. Valving is the same in both shocks.

onebadf150

Reaction score
Great Information!

Don't do twin shocks. That's a bandaid for poor valving.

The price difference between the 2.0 and 5100 is minimal.

Shocks will give you the better ride. The 4 link is not going to make anything feel smoother or more controlled with worn out shocks still on the vehicle.

I have it posted in another shock thread on here,

Good rule of thumb

firm/tight----soft/spongy
5100-5160-2.0-2.0 resi

The bilsteins are valves with more rebound and it does cause the shock to be a bit stiffer when the truck has no weight in it. That being said, they are still a good shock for the price. It all comes down to ride preference.

3brorce

Reaction score
I got them on yesterday, have not took her on the road yet though.

3brorce

Reaction score
They definitely soak up the bumps some better that is for sure. Only got about 20 miles on them or so today for the first time.

greyford1979

Reaction score
My Fox 2.0s did pretty well in the dunes last weekend. Well that is except for when we went air born, that still didn't feel very good LOL

KTM300

Reaction score
The ride will be practically the same. The resi will shine when you are abusing the shock as it lets the fluid cool faster than the non resi can. Valving is the same in both shocks.
I think I read that the resis on the 5160s allow them to have more travel than the 5100s. I assume that is not the case with the Fox shocks?

I also read on another forum that the Fox shocks don't work as well on progressive coils as they do on straight rate coils. One of your previous posts said you tested your shocks on a truck with 4.5" Icon coils, so what are your thoughts on that? I will be running 4.5" Icon coils as well.

You said you tested Icon 2.0s. How did they compare to the Fox?

Thanks for all the great info so far.

smokinstroker

Reaction score
I think I read that the resis on the 5160s allow them to have more travel than the 5100s. I assume that is not the case with the Fox shocks?

I also read on another forum that the Fox shocks don't work as well on progressive coils as they do on straight rate coils. One of your previous posts said you tested your shocks on a truck with 4.5" Icon coils, so what are your thoughts on that? I will be running 4.5" Icon coils as well.

You said you tested Icon 2.0s. How did they compare to the Fox?

Thanks for all the great info so far.

No resi will give you more travel, irregardless of manufacturer.
I've ran them on both progressive rate could and linear rate, as well as multiple customers. This is why I recommend fox, as the ride quality vibes very well with a number of applications and driving styles.

4.5 icon coils were just fine with the fox IFP and resis that I ran. Although I would recommend carli springs if your looking to get as soft as you can. (Which is what many people are after)

The icon 2.0 is very nice, although it is stiffer on road than the fox.
The valving for icon can be adjusted before/after ordering if needed though icon. This will become more of a custom application between you and icon, and could be sent back to be revalved as many times as your willing to pay to ship/valve.
Icon shocks are valved differently causing the ride to be "stiffer" or "tighter" on road and I use those terms loosely as it is my opinion. They seem to really shine Offroad under heavy abuse, where the fox has a very smooth on road feeling.

Higher priced shocks are out there and some do have their place (carli pintop 2.5 and icon omega series)

Anything else feel free to ask or I can clarify, the number of shocks I ran were solely to find what I felt was the best ride quality without breaking the bank.

Last edited:

KTM300

Reaction score
I found the post saying the 5160s have longer travel than the 5100s. It is actually from a guy that works at Carli, so I have to believe it is true. Posted by OCVeloMan on ps.org, "The 5160 are remote reservoirs and will get more travel for a given length than a 5100 as the dividing piston is in the reservoir so the shaft can travel the entire length of the body rather than be limited by the internal reservoir like in the 5100s."

smokinstroker

Reaction score
I found the post saying the 5160s have longer travel than the 5100s. It is actually from a guy that works at Carli, so I have to believe it is true. Posted by OCVeloMan on ps.org, "The 5160 are remote reservoirs and will get more travel for a given length than a 5100 as the dividing piston is in the reservoir so the shaft can travel the entire length of the body rather than be limited by the internal reservoir like in the 5100s."

The distance he is mentioning will be minimal, as they are building there setups for trucks planning on maxing out shock compressed length and extended on a regular basis.

For the average consumer, they will not be drooping the suspension with a properly spec'd shock to reach the point of needing limiting straps.

Not quite sure where your going with this, and please fill me in if you need a more direct answer.

If your looking for a setup that can take a beating like carli puts their test trucks and builds their kits for, than you wouldn't be considering a non resi shock from the beginning.

For what it's worth, carli is not even offering bilsteins in their kits at this time due to bilsteins lack of supply.

Last edited:

smokinstroker

Reaction score
whats the warranty on the foxs? how long do they last? how do they perform towing?

http://www.ridefox.com/help.php?m=truck&ref=topnav

How long they last will greatly depend on how the vehicle is used. If the suspension is cycled more heavily or "abused", like any suspension part they will wear out faster. I have customers that have over 50k on their sets with no problems. One thing that's nice about the Factory series. You can send them in and they will re valve and re build them for a minimal charge and can last many more years.

Latest posts

Members online