Should I get 6.0 or keep my 7.3

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
that's fine on your own junk, but any shop that one-for-one's studs on a 6.0 should be shut down immediately! LOL

Jomax

Reaction score
Why not buy the CLEAN 2003 king ranch in the classifieds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

04cr450

Reaction score
agree 100% with the posts above. you should read some of the for sale ads on craigslist around here.. bullet proof in huge letters etc. and yes, no grammar whatsoever. these trucks sit also on craigslist for months. the stock ones only last a week it seems.

f350BeastinmaKing

Reaction score
I wouldn't buy it unless it is really bullet proofed meaning the oil cooler has the bulletproof one installed separating the oil from coolant completely very big headache with the 6.0 egr ****** option honestly id buy the upgraded rounded tube option that's considered the upgrade and keep the egr working as supposed to. have headache with pipe cracking cause of faulty kits out there. I just bought a 05 6.0 back in February this year and already delt with allot wrenching. id stick with the 7.3 unless u got money to spend making the 6.0 being strong as the 7.3

swinky

Reaction score
I wouldn't buy it unless it is really bullet proofed meaning the oil cooler has the bulletproof one installed separating the oil from coolant completely very big headache with the 6.0 egr ****** option honestly id buy the upgraded rounded tube option that's considered the upgrade and keep the egr working as supposed to. have headache with pipe cracking cause of faulty kits out there. I just bought a 05 6.0 back in February this year and already delt with allot wrenching. id stick with the 7.3 unless u got money to spend making the 6.0 being strong as the 7.3
You have some pretty horrible input.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

swinky

Reaction score
Very bad input.

An OEM oil cooler is fine, and that's what you get when you buy a Chinese egr ****** LOL
Yeah I've had my 03 for 4 years and it has 240k on it, runs 11s, oem oil cooler...... what do I know.

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
I would jump into a 05 newer 6.0 before a 7.3 any day of the week. As long as it was done correctly, bulletproofed is in big letters on our adds when we sell trucks because that's what 99% of the public in our area associates with a truck when it has studs etc, we also do all updates w oem cooler etc etc when they are gone through and sold. And there are also 20-30 service customer trucks here at any time so our situation is a bit different then joe blow selling his truck in his front yard

A 05 truck will clearly have more power , better shifting trans (imo) and also better ride since it's a coil front end truck vs a leaf spring truck.

The one you looked at seems like it's from a kid. Which I would stay away from.

I personally won't ever own another 7.3 I hate pretty much everything about them compared to the new trucks. LOL

We do several 100 6.0's/6.4's a year for reference. A lot of the 7.3's in our area are so worn out they need motor replacements by now or most owners are trying to do the work themselves.

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
keep the 7.3 unless you are deadset on a newer truck... do what was said and buy one from an old dude that has been bone stock all its life.. hell, anymore with all the young toolbags beating the chit outta 7.3s these days i prolly wouldnt buy another unless it was bone stock from an old man!

live life full throttle

j.mo

Reaction score
Idk about everyone bashing the "bulletproof" stuff.
I've owned five 6.0s and just picked up my 6th. An 06 bone stock lariat with 74k. Deltas are great, truck runs great. I plan on keeping the truck for a while, so I ordered a bpd cooler and studs and all the fixins. If I have to end up doing gaskets in 100k miles, why not just do them now and be done with it? Nothing wrong with dropping the cash and getting it done If you can.
That being said, I sold one of my bone stock 04's with 245k trouble free miles, and at 430k that same truck is still running strong with only a waterpump replacement and 2 injectors.
I daily drive mine and tow my boat and take it on trips. I'd rather stud it and do the updates and bpd cooler and ride along without a worry. Ex cab that I'm selling i bought done already and it has 280k ticking along like a bottle of fine wine. But it is an extended cab, so when I found a deal on a crew cab I jumped on it

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
The guy who bought my perfect running 06 just had it stolen.

Your truck has less than 100k on it. The one that just got stolen was around 140. It (and yours) may have gone 300k without needing head gaskets.

Sure would have sucked if he'd pumped a bunch of money into that truck for no reason right before it was stolen...

I have no problem with a quality stud job. I have a problem buying a truck from most sellers who use the term "bulletproof" to describe it. I just assume that they have no idea what they're talking about.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
I also have a buddy whose parents still have the 04 he abused through high school. It has 180k, and it has been pushing coolant under heavy load for about 75k miles LOL

My point being, even if you do lift a head, you have a little time to get things in order to do the head stud job!

swinky

Reaction score
I also have a buddy whose parents still have the 04 he abused through high school. It has 180k, and it has been pushing coolant under heavy load for about 75k miles LOL

My point being, even if you do lift a head, you have a little time to get things in order to do the head stud job!
Been there. Raced mine for half a season with blown gaskets. Drain a gallon of coolant out once you get to the track and as it back before you leave.

JMart

Reaction score
Sure would have sucked if he'd pumped a bunch of money into that truck for no reason right before it was stolen...

Or you total it like I did. Spent all that money to have mine studded and updated only to total it before I got 4k miles out of it. That truck didn't even need it either.

Latest posts

Members online