someone should try it

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Since I obviously cannot know exactly where you might be getting hung up, I'll try to explain everything in detail, simply ignore the parts you have a firm grasp on.

12psig (psi gauge) is 26.7psia (psi absolute), 12psi + 14.7psi of atmosphere. Since the gauge is set to zero at 14.7psi, a reading of 12 tells us we actually have 26.7psi.

This represents a pressure ratio across that compressor of 1.8163:1, 26.7psia / 14.7psia. The meaning of this is that the compressor is taking in air at 14.7psia and compressing it 1.8163 times such that it is discharging air at a pressure of 26.7psia. That is the pressure ratio. It is technically described as P2/P1 where P2 is the outgoing and P1 the incoming pressure.

From here the easiest way to see this might be to simply take a ride through the system.

The first stage takes in air at 14.7psia at sea level. If it's producing a pressure ratio of 1.8163, then it is compressing that air from 14.7psia to 26.7psia on it's outlet.

The second stage compressor then takes in this air at 26.7psia and compresses it another 1.8163 times such that it takes the air from 26.7psia and compresses it to 48.5psia.

The third stage compressor then takes in this air at 48.5psia and compresses it yet another 1.8163 times, such that it takes in the air at 48.5psia and compresses it to 88.08psia.

And with 3 total stages, each running a pressure ratio of 1.8163:1 and starting at 14.7psi, 88.08psi is exactly what you will end up with.

Converting back to gauge pressure, our boost gauge would read out 73.38psi (88.08psia - 14.7psia worth of atmosphere).

I hope that does it.

This does it Charles!!!! THANKS!!!!!!

Now I think I get the hole picture. I was figuring the first stage right, just not the last two.

Thank you sir.. you just made my day!!!

So when are you going to start the new project dustin!!! I realy think you should. you would even have a quicker spool up then the stock turbos could give.

I think this might be a cheaper rought then even the tow powers from elite!! Well ALMOST. But you would flow more air and still have the Quicker spool up.

TyCorr

Reaction score
They usually gate them in the upper 100's to lower to mid 200's on boost depending on power if they're diesels.

Thats stiiiiil alot of pressure, at any rate but substantially less than 400psi. Hypermax has an ad for a 8cyl p-pump style injection pump and it says something along the lines of "800-1500hp! Want more power? Simply add more turbos!" I always picture a truck with no hood or fenders and just tons of aluminum sitting in between the frame rails and turbos fitted with guillotine-style boost elimination to keep from blowing the motor to pieces. Delightful! Diesel of course.

I don't know, lol. I've never worked in any field involving gas compressors and I've never experienced 400lbs of boost so it may all be bullsh*t...

;)

There seems to be alot of that going around. More in some places and less in others. Although the amount of work you've done on your 99, Id say you're fairly well versed in airflow and pressure variables.

Charles

Reaction score
This does it Charles!!!! THANKS!!!!!!

Now I think I get the hole picture. I was figuring the first stage right, just not the last two.

Thank you sir.. you just made my day!!!

So when are you going to start the new project dustin!!! I realy think you should. you would even have a quicker spool up then the stock turbos could give.

I think this might be a cheaper rought then even the tow powers from elite!! Well ALMOST. But you would flow more air and still have the Quicker spool up.

It will actually spool a bit slower than with the stock chargers by themselves. This is dependent on the size of the turbine in the third charger and the housing selection, but whatever the selection there will be additional pressure downstream of the stock chargers that will reduce the pressure drop through their turbines, yielding a little less energy to drive them up to speed down low.

When I first installed the 47 on my truck I confirmed this in that the 38R was a little bit slower to come up than as a single. Although it's hardly noteworthy, and doesn't really affect anything.

But don't think it will spool quicker, it will be just a taaaaaaaaad slower if even really noticeable.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I want someone to tell me this is a bad idea, i dont feel good about it unless someone says it wont work

Dzchey21

Reaction score
It will actually spool a bit slower than with the stock chargers by themselves. This is dependent on the size of the turbine in the third charger and the housing selection, but whatever the selection there will be additional pressure downstream of the stock chargers that will reduce the pressure drop through their turbines, yielding a little less energy to drive them up to speed down low.

When I first installed the 47 on my truck I confirmed this in that the 38R was a little bit slower to come up than as a single. Although it's hardly noteworthy, and doesn't really affect anything.

But don't think it will spool quicker, it will be just a taaaaaaaaad slower if even really noticeable.

Stock turbos spool so ***ing fast it wont matter anyway.

Charles

Reaction score
I want someone to tell me this is a bad idea, i dont feel good about it unless someone says it wont work

I consider myself an honest guy, so I can't help you there. Good gating on the stock chargers and a decent sizing on the first stage and this will work.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I consider myself an honest guy, so I can't help you there. Good gating on the stock chargers and a decent sizing on the first stage and this will work.

you know what my first stage is going to be, that 86mm 510

Beans71086

Reaction score
At 70psi the compressors in a 3 stage system are probably doing their best impression of a ceiling fan.

LOL LOL

So why hasn't this been done already? Hasn't this been a common thing with the 7.3 6.0 6.6 5.9? Is it just because the 6.4 is already a "twin turbo" and the thought of three is scary to some? Sorry for the questionnaire. I really like the idea and if I had the money I would be making calls! Go for it Dustin, be our pioneer once again!!! :pimp:

Charles

Reaction score
Thats only a phone call away. But im sure the 86 will move plenty of cfm for his purposes

Depends how low he can restrain the stock chargers. If he could run 40 or 50lbs on the first stage then he could get away with something like an 80mm charger. If he can't run more than 15lbs because the stock chargers won't stay under control, then he'd be looking 90+mm to move the air.

Austin

Reaction score
Going to be honest, I couldn't read Charles' posts out of fear of my brain spontaneously combusting. LOL

He makes it simple for us to understand. At this point after doing a few calculations and asking him a couple questions, I realized it's much easier than I would have initially thought.

P2/P1.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Depends how low he can restrain the stock chargers. If he could run 40 or 50lbs on the first stage then he could get away with something like an 80mm charger. If he can't run more than 15lbs because the stock chargers won't stay under control, then he'd be looking 90+mm to move the air.

well i have a turbo, we could try it, if its not enough i can go bigger

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.