Spar<->tan's 2015 Build

SpartanDieselTech

Reaction score
Update

So, we started this build with an H&S S369SXE turbo and RCD 60% injectors on the dual fuel setup.

Truck ran great, and spooled and drove amazingly well for an 800RWHP truck. After building base calibrations for the dual pumps, non-VGT kit, and 60% nozzles, we've decided it's time to move on and start pushing the power numbers.

Last week, we installed 100% over injectors and spent a few days on the calibration before shipping the truck off to River City Diesel. Josh and his crew at RCD started working on the truck today, with the install of the very first prototype RCD compound turbo kit. We will be testing an S366/S483 setup to start with, and working our way up to an S400/S500 race configuration for bigger power as development continues.

This is one of the nicest turbo setups we've seen. Designed to be modular, the manifolds and the rest of the kit can be used as a non-VGT single and have the extra turbo and plumbing added at a later date.

The manifolds are CNC-machined, plumbed with a crossover pipe to minimize the distance exhaust has to travel, and constructed as an integral turbo mount. It's a slick, out-of-the-box design that will have tremendous flow and extremely quick spool-up.

Below are pictures of the manifold and kit, to the point they reached on the truck today. I'll have some more complete photos of the build tomorrow once the chargers are installed.

Manifolds before welding and coating
2u3y0d3.jpg

Manifolds and crossover pipe installed
294nucl.jpg

Turbos and plumbing
2ltg2go.jpg

ToddP

Reaction score
I remember close to a dozen years ago a kid named Matt used to have me test out new tunes he'd written while he was still in high school, now he's a big time diesel man. Proud for you Matt, truck looks great

SpartanDieselTech

Reaction score
I remember close to a dozen years ago a kid named Matt used to have me test out new tunes he'd written while he was still in high school, now he's a big time diesel man. Proud for you Matt, truck looks great

Mr. Passmore. You have quite the memory!

CATDiezel

Reaction score
That's certainly a unique design of an exhaust manifold...

I personally don't understand the unbalanced flow design from left to right bank but I'm not anywhere near 800hp either!! Haha.

I would for fun sake like to know more of the theory of that exhaust manifold setup if anyone cares to elaborate.

SpartanDieselTech

Reaction score
That's certainly a unique design of an exhaust manifold...

I personally don't understand the unbalanced flow design from left to right bank but I'm not anywhere near 800hp either!! Haha.

I would for fun sake like to know more of the theory of that exhaust manifold setup if anyone cares to elaborate.

The flow will balance itself, just as it does with a wastegate that vents from only one side of a system or one up-pipe.

Pressure is a function of flow restriction, and the restriction is in the turbocharger housing itself. As long as the path to that restriction isn't obstructed or restricted itself, it's basically self-balancing.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
The flow will balance itself, just as it does with a wastegate that vents from only one side of a system or one up-pipe.

Pressure is a function of flow restriction, and the restriction is in the turbocharger housing itself. As long as the path to that restriction isn't obstructed or restricted itself, it's basically self-balancing.

I do understand the characteristics of air and fluid dynamics. And please don't take anything I say as bashing or destructive to what you have... it certainly looks like a wonderful design, a unique design.

It reminds me of a 6.5L chevy diesel!!! No offense!

IF I showed you what happens on a larger more amplified pressurized pipe you would see what I was getting at. However. Being on a much smaller scale the affects are much smaller and negligible to the average sensor or performance gain.

Last edited:

SpartanDieselTech

Reaction score
I do understand the characteristics of air and fluid dynamics. And please don't take anything I say as bashing or destructive to what you have... it certainly looks like a wonderful design, a unique design.

It reminds me of a 6.5L chevy diesel!!! No offense!

Wasn't offended at all until you compared it to a fookin chevy 6.5 :swordfight:

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Wasn't offended at all until you compared it to a fookin chevy 6.5 :swordfight:

Lol....

Let me explain myself just a hair more.... take two REAL Mr.Venturi designs and parallel them together at one restriction point. Run the formulation of length/diameter and pressure loss and you'll see were the difference is lost. I'm rusty on my calculus but these formulas are used in the natural gas industry for constructing pipelines with pressures around 12-1400psi.... in most people's back yards.

Truthfully I'm putting way to much thought into this for a competition engine! It will certainly work regardless!! And looks killer too...

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
Spar&lt;-&gt;tan's 2015 Build

I for one think this manifold will regulate drive pressure really well especially for a single wastegate application. May trade some spoolup without the divided pedestal, but the 6.7 shouldn't have much trouble overcoming that.