Spindle seals on 01

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Lol I was in the truck before and couldn't elaborate too much.

What I should have said was that I did indeed build the tool out of black steel pipe and a flange, and then ground it down to the proper diameter. I installed both seals in my 2000 with it, just as I would with the regular tool.

I set the seals on the shafts first while they were on the work bench. Then after sliding them back into the tube and knuckle, I would use the tool again to set it properly in the Knuckle.

After I did that work, I was forever Having issues with the needle bearings inside the drivers knuckle. I think I burnt up 3 unitized bearings. Finally borrowed the tool and set it properly, problem fixed.

Fast forward to last year, and my old man did them on his excursion. He is a fanatic about mechanics and is completely anal about his stuff. He put them in 100% correct according to what he told me. Sure enough, few months later he had a bad passenger wheel bearing. He borrowed the OTC tool from the same buddy and set the new one. No issues sense.

The parts to build the tool will cost you some money plus the effort and its still not correct or foolproof for installation. Hence my statement that $70-80 was cheap insurance to set it and forget it lol.

But I still am slightly special in the mechanical field. :morons:

All timken bearings?

live life full throttle

GreenMachine

Reaction score
All timken bearings?

live life full throttle

Nope parts store replacements. But I have to say that the current parts store replacement on the ex has held up perfectly for over a year once the seal was properly installed.

I didn't even ***k around on my 05. I used to OTC tool the first time because #1 the seal is wayyyy larger, and #2 the timken units on it are worth way too much.

greenthunder7.3

Reaction score
how does not having the seal on the shaft far enough effect a sealed bearing kit? it just lets water and road grime into the stub shaft area? just wondering because it is such a big seal that seems it would fit tight no matter what on inside and outside even if you were a hair off. I did mine on my f-350 with no tool and have had no issues for 2 years now but my dads truck I had one side go out 6 months later. I had better be ordering one of these I guess.

Zmann

Reaction score
it really doesn't have an effect unless you really botch it then i guess you could have the issue you mentioned but you can verify the seals integrity using a vacuum tester when it's all buttoned up and turn the axle by hand after you have axle slid in to make sure it isn't too tight against the seal

and the unit bearing doesn't ride on that seal so the only problem you can create by not getting the seal set properly is some friction when in 4x4 the axle won't move freely since you put that 2 piece seal in a bind ( some may not know that seal moves inside itself when the front is locked in and the axles are moving )

here is the backside of the newer unit bearings the older ones just use a needle bearing instead of the sealed

TimkenUnitBearing.jpg

don't get me wrong using the proper tool is the best but I have seen issue with aftermarket tools like some wont fit over the axle properly soyour on your own to do that step where the DIY tool does that part perfectly

Last edited:

dustinz85

Reaction score
Got a spindle seal yesterday, took in to the local ford dealership (small town dealership) the mechanic pressed the new one in FOR FREE! I about died lol But advance didn't seem to have a part number for the updated axle seal for the shaft. I'm going to try and see if Napa does after work. Truck has been apart for almost two weeks messing around with this ball joint job... I'm ready to drive the damn thing already.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

GreenMachine

Reaction score
Got a spindle seal yesterday, took in to the local ford dealership (small town dealership) the mechanic pressed the new one in FOR FREE! I about died lol But advance didn't seem to have a part number for the updated axle seal for the shaft. I'm going to try and see if Napa does after work. Truck has been apart for almost two weeks messing around with this ball joint job... I'm ready to drive the damn thing already.

Lol I know your pain, I did a balljoint job on my 05 last week. Pain in the azzz.

Seating the seal on the shaft isn't bad when its out of the truck like that, its imperative that you drive it in to the knuckle properly and thats the hard part lol. Not to sound like a broken record.

:blah::blah:

dustinz85

Reaction score
Lol I know your pain, I did a balljoint job on my 05 last week. Pain in the azzz.

Seating the seal on the shaft isn't bad when its out of the truck like that, its imperative that you drive it in to the knuckle properly and thats the hard part lol. Not to sound like a broken record.

:blah::blah:

Haha well at least all four will be new these lasted 190k so there is no shame for them.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Nope parts store replacements. But I have to say that the current parts store replacement on the ex has held up perfectly for over a year once the seal was properly installed.

I didn't even ***k around on my 05. I used to OTC tool the first time because #1 the seal is wayyyy larger, and #2 the timken units on it are worth way too much.

*** that. I wont run anything but timkens.. the bearings themselves are sealed units. All that the seal is that you have to pound in is for the vacuum autolock hubs.. I have never changed the seals on my dually. But ive also never cared for the auto lock feature. Replaced both front wheel bearings, did ball joints, and axle u joints at separate times and have prolly 60k to 70k miles on them now. Ive done the same for my brother and he is the cheap ass that wont buy good bearings and ive replaced 5 total front unit bearings in less then 40k miles... it pisses me off to no end but he is my older brother so I quit trying to convince him...

live life full throttle

GreenMachine

Reaction score
Haha well at least all four will be new these lasted 190k so there is no shame for them.

190k is real good! what did you replace with?

I got 120k out of my 05. I just put Ford stuff back in.

GreenMachine

Reaction score
*** that. I wont run anything but timkens.. the bearings themselves are sealed units. All that the seal is that you have to pound in is for the vacuum autolock hubs.. I have never changed the seals on my dually. But ive also never cared for the auto lock feature. Replaced both front wheel bearings, did ball joints, and axle u joints at separate times and have prolly 60k to 70k miles on them now. Ive done the same for my brother and he is the cheap ass that wont buy good bearings and ive replaced 5 total front unit bearings in less then 40k miles... it pisses me off to no end but he is my older brother so I quit trying to convince him...

live life full throttle

Sounds like me lol.

The parts store units I continued to replace on my 00 were sealed unitized bearings, but the needle bearings that the stub axle shaft rode in were not sealed. They were exposed needle bearings that I could grease up and what not.

My 05 I noticed when I had it apart that the timken units were completely sealed and I couldn't see the needle bearings. I figured they must have wisened up?

dustinz85

Reaction score
190k is real good! what did you replace with?

I got 120k out of my 05. I just put Ford stuff back in.

Moog, I'm guessing they were originals, they didn't have grease fittings in them. Yeah I cant complain about that life span.

Zmann

Reaction score
My 05 I noticed when I had it apart that the timken units were completely sealed and I couldn't see the needle bearings. I figured they must have wisened up?
that was a ford thing when they went to the larger axleshaft and revissed unit bearing they went to the new sealed unit but both are replaceable without buying the whole unit bearing

always good to grease the accessible needle bearings IMHO

bordo380

Reaction score
Guys I'm going to try and do my seals before I put my new bearing in. Do they both just press on while the knuckle/ axle is on the truck? Mine is flopping around like this. Is this normal or is
728d7da4a5c07f001d7c0cb923011487.jpg
there another bearing in here?
I plan on trying it use the OTC tool. https://vimeo.com/182263384

bordo380

Reaction score
Well I should have read up more on this. The spindle came out fine but I had to beat the crap out of that seal to get it off the shaft.
65358a5819112237aea75a0c0fff0067.jpg

bordo380

Reaction score
All done the OTC DIY Driver worked well.
402e348e6902dda668e17949563e8fd7.jpg
38b68f9a5aa63121d7aeb072ba798557.jpg

These National Seals were great too.
d9d91c253e178baf48d0286c6db79762.jpg

Latest posts

Members online