steering linkage and joints

Jomax

Reaction score
I remember when i was a little kid, you used to be able to order FoMoCo or motorcraft.

I guess Ford no longer allows us to do that ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Thy still do last I know. I could've gotten motorcraft rotors or genuine ford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jake

Reaction score
You could always Put a 90* grease fitting in the upper ball joint.I did that,and it cleared the Universal joint.That was on my'11 f-450.

They were 90's and small ones at that. The u joints still slapped them off there.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
1400 miles on it and its popping again. not sure if its the tie rod end this time though. will have to get under truck and look.. wtf!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
yup, just confirmed that it is the drag link to pitman arm popping again.. ****ty part is the oem drag link wasnt as bad as these have been when i took it out..

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
That's where I'm torn going oem or Moog. The last time I put some Moog stuff on the 00, I wasn't really impressed, especially the ball joints where the grease zerts wouldn't clear the ujoints.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
i think pmf uses moog so i would guess its a decent part.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
After you get that stuff all figured out, have your alignment shop add some caster. I think max is like 2.7 or something in the book for the trucks. And that is where mine is. When I went through trying to find my troubles, that was one of the steps. Ford did it, so they wouldnt go any further than the book allowed. But its been pretty nice driving since.

Jomax

Reaction score
After you get that stuff all figured out, have your alignment shop add some caster. I think max is like 2.7 or something in the book for the trucks. And that is where mine is. When I went through trying to find my troubles, that was one of the steps. Ford did it, so they wouldnt go any further than the book allowed. But its been pretty nice driving since.

I'm at 4.0 for Castor.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
That should be even better. And I may not be 100% on where i am. But I think the ford book says max of 2.7 On these trucks so that's all the dealer would do for me. Things have been better for me.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
what does adding castor do?
I'm at 4.0 for Castor.

Jomax

Reaction score
might go aftermarket with the trac bar. this is bullchit if i have to do this every few months now.

Aftermarket trackbar still uses the factory balljoint though. I believe PMF makes a bar that replaces the ball joint. OUO is still developing their joint to replace the factory ball joint.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
Adding caster helps with return to center, and keeps the wheels from going into "death wobble". So instead of the wheels slightly shaking back and forth (before you get to the death wobble stage) it keeps a more constant pressure on steering components. I cant say for certain, but there's no real reason your steering parts should be failing so quickly after replacement, assuming tires are moderately well balanced. Not that I am high mileage, (~135k or so) but I replaced my front end components once so far and had the alignment changed. My truck weighs in at 9500#, and I am not nice to it getting to tower sites on non-maintained roads. And abuse it with tire chains in the winter on the same roads, when I HAVE to get to the site.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Aftermarket trackbar still uses the factory balljoint though. I believe PMF makes a bar that replaces the ball joint. OUO is still developing their joint to replace the factory ball joint.

yup.. pmf is what i was looking at the gets rid of ball joint..

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Adding caster helps with return to center, and keeps the wheels from going into "death wobble". So instead of the wheels slightly shaking back and forth (before you get to the death wobble stage) it keeps a more constant pressure on steering components. I cant say for certain, but there's no real reason your steering parts should be failing so quickly after replacement, assuming tires are moderately well balanced. Not that I am high mileage, (~135k or so) but I replaced my front end components once so far and had the alignment changed. My truck weighs in at 9500#, and I am not nice to it getting to tower sites on non-maintained roads. And abuse it with tire chains in the winter on the same roads, when I HAVE to get to the site.
that makes sense!!

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
replacing the tracbar bj today and 2nd drag link.. thinking of drilling and tapping for grease zerks. i already have my mind made up that if these dont last this time then im going with pmf stuff for them both and gettting rid of the trac bar bj all together.

Latest posts

Members online