Stock .84 Housing Modification

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Could a mod change the title? It was supposed to say *Stock

2012-04-07_18-17-36_960.jpg

2012-04-07_18-17-24_46.jpg

Just wanted to share these pictures. It's rough and I need to clean up the wastegate hole.

I don't have any numbers or impressions from this, but it seems like there's no way that it couldn't help. I think it'll be a great mod to do for the guys that are running the batmowheels and trying to make the stock turbo live with extra fuel.

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I opened up the flapper hole a little, but I needed some bigger drill bits. I'm going to bring it to work and clean it up and drill the hole a little larger.

PStroked444

Reaction score
I guess the question would be did it make any difference?? How much of an improvement did it make? any dyno? Just asking I am not passing judgement. I have wanted to do that a while back to help relieve some BP on the top end with the stock housing.

Thanks....:D

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
You should do it! I have a TN Knock-off now that seems to work great, so I'm not all that anxious to try this stuff... That being said, I may just swap it on to give everyone my impression. I know that I do miss the response of my stock turbo.

It's definitely going to make an improvement for those running larger than stock injectors and even really aggressive tuning... I think that is a no-brainer...

The pressure difference between the passenger and driver sides of the motor has got to be pretty extreme once the wastegate does start opening.

907DAVE

Reaction score
Might give this a try when I swap motors between trucks, but my stocker seems to be working pretty so far.

PStroked444

Reaction score
If I was not using my truck every day I think I might try it. But who knows. Keep me posted if you actualy get the chance to do the .84 mod. Good luck!!:gun::rockon:

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I was able to open it up all a little more at work yesterday...

Took a drill press and drilled the divider some more, and then cleaned it up and "sharpened" it a little...
2012-04-11_16-43-22_718.jpg

Then I opened up the wastegate hole to 7/8's... That's as large as you can go without the flapper getting in the way... Mine got a little scarred but I cleaned it up and it's fine...

Then I ported the hole with my Dremel and made it taper up to the flapper.
2012-04-11_16-42-41_167.jpg

And there is the backside of the hole...

2012-04-11_16-42-58_780.jpg

RedSmokey

Reaction score
Might do this for chits and giggles till I throw the van turbo on. I would guess my wastegate is open probably more than 50% of the time i'm driving LOL

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I honestly think that this will make for a better turbo than a 1.0 housing stock turbo... But that's just me. Once I get it on I'll know. But to me, it seems like I can have the best of both worlds... Neck-snapping spool-up as well as good top end, and that will be achieved by adjusting my wastegate spring tension and using either a boost or backpressure referance to open the actuator.

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I think I should have one laying around, but I'll keep you in mind! Thanks! I only need the little piece that goes from the turbo inlet to the CCV piece.

Homesteader

Reaction score
I was able to open it up all a little more at work yesterday...

Took a drill press and drilled the divider some more, and then cleaned it up and "sharpened" it a little...
2012-04-11_16-43-22_718.jpg

Then I opened up the wastegate hole to 7/8's... That's as large as you can go without the flapper getting in the way... Mine got a little scarred but I cleaned it up and it's fine...

Then I ported the hole with my Dremel and made it taper up to the flapper.
2012-04-11_16-42-41_167.jpg

And there is the backside of the hole...

2012-04-11_16-42-58_780.jpg

JAP.
How's it working out? I'm running a stock turbo for now. Might just do the same if it works.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.