Stock .84 Housing Modification

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
LOL Hell if I know...

Who's curious enough to do this? I don't mind giving subjective data, but all this dual BP gauge and stuff...

I've heard of EGT drops but a bit slower spool up on 5.9's... Anyone running a stock turbo and hybrids, Stage 2's, or Stage 1's want to try this??

I would be willing to bet there will be an EGT drop...

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
Yeah I gotcha... And at this point I'm thinking I'd rather stick a BP gauge in each manifold and go WOT on a stockish turbo before I say anything else lol.

But, my point is that when the combined flow is to much for the dam, it's gonna congest the other river, and back that congestion up to the relief point, which is not enough possibly for both streams, so I'd expect the back up to go further upstream. Equalizing both rivers.

You're talking about reversion, it can be a pulse or and all out direction change but in this case the waste gate opening on one channel will have much more reversion than opening both channels upstream to equalize.

I'm with you jap, reducing the bouncing around and inconsistent pressure's will promote flow and the stagnant gas will be reduced. Unless there's a long tube effect here that we're not seeing I think this would have to lower egt and lower BP.

Big Bore

Reaction score
Yeah I gotcha... And at this point I'm thinking I'd rather stick a BP gauge in each manifold and go WOT on a stockish turbo before I say anything else lol.

But, my point is that when the combined flow is to much for the dam, it's gonna congest the other river, and back that congestion up to the relief point, which is not enough possibly for both streams, so I'd expect the back up to go further upstream. Equalizing both rivers.

Well I currently have two EGT gauges, one in the DP/outlet, and one in the drivers side up pipe. If I had another up pipe probe I could at least do a comparison of temps. Of course that would require enabling the WG on my 38R. And its such a pain in the ass to get to the arm and c-clip, just thinking about it has now deterred me. LOL

Big Bore

Reaction score
175/30's and factory 38r WG with ported comp housing. I have a non WG 1.15 that I was planning to use with compounds, but after seeing what David did with compounds I'm rethinking a bit.

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I think you could make it work... Before I put it on compunds, I would open up the 1.0 as much as possible. If you can't keep your BP in check with the 1.0 and wastegate mods, I wouldn't think the 1.15 could do it either without a wastegate.

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I'd be interested in seeing how far the 38R could be pushed until it got past 2:1.

I remember you asking me about this a while back.

Gearhead

Reaction score
Nice mod.... I suggest doing this on the 38r with the 1.0 housing instead of going with the 1.15 and letting the wastegate blow open at around 34psi.

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
Haven't read the whole thread but i just put an engine back in a truck with stock everything aside from 200/30 injectors, i cut a arc out of the septum of both the turbine housing and the collector, then shaved them to a point, did not drill through the septum through the wastegate hole..

EGT's are down a little bit, and boost has come back down into a reasonable range for the stock turbo. Before, he could damn near get the boost off the 35psi gauge. For what it cost ($0) it's a cost-effective mod, lol.

TARM

Reaction score
I tend to wonder it you are going to be increasing the flow turbulence significantly by mixing the two sides in this manner. You have alternating gas impulses (separate banks) being fed all the way right to the turbine wheel. Now you are mixing all of those pulses right at the transition point entering into the turbine housing. I think you are gonna be losing the advantage gained by not having pulses canceling each other out as well as the turbulence created by the two mixing together right there.

Maybe what you gain by venting both volutes will exceed any losses I do not know. I am very interested in how this turns out. I hope it does show benefits all around.

TARM

Reaction score
Well it is possible but I doubt it at our RPMS given Ricers concern themselves greatly with this and they are turning at least 2x what we are. Damn slow HUEI LOL

But my concern would be also the effects at spool up. One of the big effects of twin scroll is spool up. Then you have what is the turbulence going to be like even if the pluses are decreasing in effect. Flow will be higher so worse turbulence is what I am thinking.

Its really moot at this point as its already done. They are just my concerns from little I know.

Last edited:

PStroked444

Reaction score
ok just for argument is there really going to be a loss of lowend boost? The biggest benefit would be BP? With the tight housing this would help relieve both banks? I think this is a very interesting idea......:rockon::toast: Very interesting ideas...keep em coming:thumbup:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
since jap is the first one to post pics of this mod for a 7.3 that i know of... i think it should be called the jap mod!!!:thumbsup: im sure at some point in time someone has done it for a 7.3 but i searched for a while and came up with nothing.

Latest posts

Members online