Stock turbo with 238/100s

Reaction score
I thought you where spot on with your post's.....

live life full throttle

Apparently we need to have a thread on how to read. Some way some how the OP thought that boost directly correlated with injector health and was wondering boost seen from similar setups. Refer to post #4 on the first page.

He was not asking the safe range of pushing the stock turbo or when it would blow. I agree with littleredstroker the stock turbo is wayyy out of the efficiency range and the life will be shortened. BUT thats not what the OP even wanted to know

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Quick question...anyone know how much psi a stock turbo should push out with 238/100s under WOT?

I only see one question here and thats how much boost his stock turbo SHOULD be making... and that is it... the bickering needs to stop...

The op was told what it shouldn't be ran past and got replys that also said how everything else comes into play...

So the correct answer would be that boost has nothing to do with how your injectors are health wise especially with tuning pulled back. but with those injectors and tunning, boost pressure could be anywhere between 28 psi and 60 psi for short burst before it explodes....

haha I know I know, I'm actually trying to determine the health of my injectors if that makes any sense. Just not sure if they are flowing as much fuel as they should be. I'll be getting a bigger turbo down the road...

live life full throttle

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Apparently we need to have a thread on how to read. Some way some how the OP thought that boost directly correlated with injector health and was wondering boost seen from similar setups. Refer to post #4 on the first page.

He was not asking the safe range of pushing the stock turbo or when it would blow. I agree with littleredstroker the stock turbo is wayyy out of the efficiency range and the life will be shortened. BUT thats not what the OP even wanted to know

APPARENTLY you should lose the attitude and piss up a rope...

live life full throttle

bigfords

Reaction score
Sorry I didn't get back to this one sooner, was gone most the day. Looks like I opened a can of worms.

Tough thing about forums is that it is easy to fill in blanks and make assumptions. Especially when OP's (like myself in this instance) didn't give 100% background. That's why we need to stick to answering questions and with being informative.

I'm far from new to these 7.3s, or these forums, just am not as vocal as some.

I know my truck very well, it does not have any boost leaks and holds descent ICP. Fuel psi isn't too bad either, until I really lay into it. (which I rarely ever do)

I realize the stocker is out of its MAP and inefficient past 30 psi or so.

This is a budget build. I replace what is worn/broken, and build as necessary while preventing further damage. My injectors had 200k on them and were just flat tired. I was dropping to 1100 psi of ICP, so I replaced injectors first.

My tunes do not have fuel pulled. They are full fuel at WOT.

I was simply looking to see what others were making in regards to boost on a stocker, with similar sized injectors.

I bought the injectors used and took the guys word for size. I thought checking boost numbers with similar setups would give some inclination as to whether they were flowing 238ccs of fuel.

Thanks for the information that was actually learned in this thread.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Sorry I didn't get back to this one sooner, was gone most the day. Looks like I opened a can of worms.

Tough thing about forums is that it is easy to fill in blanks and make assumptions. Especially when OP's (like myself in this instance) didn't give 100% background. That's why we need to stick to answering questions and with being informative.

I'm far from new to these 7.3s, or these forums, just am not as vocal as some.

I know my truck very well, it does not have any boost leaks and holds descent ICP. Fuel psi isn't too bad either, until I really lay into it. (which I rarely ever do)

I realize the stocker is out of its MAP and inefficient past 30 psi or so.

This is a budget build. I replace what is worn/broken, and build as necessary while preventing further damage. My injectors had 200k on them and were just flat tired. I was dropping to 1100 psi of ICP, so I replaced injectors first.

My tunes do not have fuel pulled. They are full fuel at WOT.

I was simply looking to see what others were making in regards to boost on a stocker, with similar sized injectors.

I bought the injectors used and took the guys word for size. I thought checking boost numbers with similar setups would give some inclination as to whether they were flowing 238ccs of fuel.

Thanks for the information that was actually learned in this thread.

Now that should have been the OP.

live life full throttle

Jason

Reaction score
Interesting.

Why not start at the root of the original problem, and replace the hpop, if you were having hpo issues? A hpop is much cheaper, and less counter productive than swapping to a less oil hungry injector, to bring icp up. I know it's water under the bridge, but curious as to why the solution to the problem wasn't addressing the actual problem. I have ran multiple 7.3's well past 200k on stock injectors, and not had tired, shotty performing stock injectors.

Last edited:

mattman347

Reaction score
238/100's will hit 35-40 PSI on a stock turbo, my super duty is stock other than the WW2, 238/100 hybrids, tune (Gearhead) and an intake. (I still have the factory exhaust on it!) All that being said I have no leaks on the compressor side and a slight leak on the up pipes. I have only ran this truck in the "all out" tune a couple times, it mainly stays in the tow tune towing my OBS to events.

PABowhunter

Reaction score
He already has an aftermarket hpop. I think t500. Don't quote me on that though. He replaced that before injectors.

bigfords

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that, still haven't updated my sig I guess. I first put a T-500 on it, which brought my psi up from 1100 or so to about 2200-2300. Put the injectors in a few months after that and now she holds steady at 2900-3000psi.

mandkole

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that, still haven't updated my sig I guess. I first put a T-500 on it, which brought my psi up from 1100 or so to about 2200-2300. Put the injectors in a few months after that and now she holds steady at 2900-3000psi.

This ^^^ further describes the oil demand of stock ADs and the help that moving to hybrids gives to the HPO system...

This thread is now making sense... However, trying to determine the output of a given injector by measuring how much boost a WOT pull makes, will naturally create mass confusion. Way too many variables here to create a 'rule of thumb'.

Carry on...

bigfords

Reaction score
238/100's will hit 35-40 PSI on a stock turbo, my super duty is stock other than the WW2, 238/100 hybrids, tune (Gearhead) and an intake. (I still have the factory exhaust on it!) All that being said I have no leaks on the compressor side and a slight leak on the up pipes. I have only ran this truck in the "all out" tune a couple times, it mainly stays in the tow tune towing my OBS to events.

Thanks Matt. Good info. I would say I'm in the same ballpark, just a tick lower. Not trying to push the stocker to hard, just curious to see what others are seeing.

bigfords

Reaction score
This ^^^ further describes the oil demand of stock ADs and the help that moving to hybrids gives to the HPO system...

This thread is now making sense... However, trying to determine the output of a given injector by measuring how much boost a WOT pull makes, will naturally create mass confusion. Way too many variables here to create a 'rule of thumb'.

Carry on...

Indeed there are too many variables, but generally speaking...

Combination of moving to hybrids and worn out stock ADs I would say. I wish I knew how bad my stock HPO pump was, but the T-500 definitely gave me a solid 1000 psi over the stocker on my stock 200,000 mile ADs.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
haha I know I know, I'm actually trying to determine the health of my injectors if that makes any sense. Just not sure if they are flowing as much fuel as they should be. I'll be getting a bigger turbo down the road...

Holding pretty good at 2900-3000 ICP, fuel pressure drops off pretty fast once the pedal is to the floor. Planning on putting my RR on tomorrow...hopefully that will help.

Pretty sure I can take a guess at the health of your injectors...

Interesting.

Why not start at the root of the original problem, and replace the hpop, if you were having hpo issues? A hpop is much cheaper, and less counter productive than swapping to a less oil hungry injector, to bring icp up. I know it's water under the bridge, but curious as to why the solution to the problem wasn't addressing the actual problem. I have ran multiple 7.3's well past 200k on stock injectors, and not had tired, shotty performing stock injectors.

I've yet to see a 7.3 over 200k with HPO issues not caused in large part by leaky injectors.

Including the 303k injectors I pulled from my 97. Truck ran fine, didn't like starting below freezing or holding ICP at WOT though...

bigfords

Reaction score
I see where you are coming from. I've never let the fuel pressure run lower than 50 psi though, except for when I had to limp home after my fuel pick-up broke off. I though my pump was going bad...
I'm still planning on having my injectors gone through though when I pull them to do studs, springs, pushrods.

mandkole

Reaction score
Sounds like a good plan--

A 5/8 straw and 5/8 line up to the pump, or a sump, will give the pump a lot of support. I'd still have 2 SD pumps, but much of the inability for a stock pump to keep up is on the suction side. A few guys have reported decent pressure hold with one good SD pump and a sump-- for a low buck build, that may be a good start then add the 2nd pump.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Just to throw it out there, my stock pump held pressure fine with a 5/8's draw straw-5/8ths to the pump and a RR.

bigfords

Reaction score
What injectors were you running? I already put Strictly's pre-pump kit in. Now I'm wishing I would have gotten that 5/8 straw. I did hear from I believe V-Ref that he was holding good pressure with a stock Bosch and sump. That would have been a good route for me, but too late now!

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
160's at the time. I'd expect the fuel system needs for 238's to be about the same as a stroked A code though.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.