Stolen stuff from my truck...Hitch lock?

Coposrv

Reaction score
Got back to my shop after being kn the toad for a week and found someone tried to pry into my weatherguard tool box. They didn't get in. A few things were stolen from from the truck. Pintle hitch being the item I noticed first. What if anything have you guys used to lock your hitches to the receiver tube?

Ad8 PRODIGY

Reaction score
:whs: except mine is from Harbor Fright... works fine and feels pleny strong. Gonna need a good sledgehammer or a sawzall with a good blade to cut it.

JrStroker

Reaction score
I just picked up a locking pin from my local auto zone. If the want it bad enough I'm sure they will get it. But I'm guessing most will forget about it since its not an "easy" steal.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
I bought a cheap one with no rubber cap over the key hole, one winter later it was corroded up I had to cut it off with a torch. Spend $ on a good one ....

sent while looking at a hole in my block

Coposrv

Reaction score
I just picked up a locking pin from my local auto zone. If the want it bad enough I'm sure they will get it. But I'm guessing most will forget about it since its not an "easy" steal.

I just want something to detour the potential thief next time. I swap hitches around a good bit so I don't want to deal with something that I will need to take a torch to If I lose the key. Looks like they gave up pretty quick on the tool box and just stole what wasn't bolted down.

Thanks for the recommendations guys.

JrStroker

Reaction score
I just want something to detour the potential thief next time. I swap hitches around a good bit so I don't want to deal with something that I will need to take a torch to If I lose the key. Looks like they gave up pretty quick on the tool box and just stole what wasn't bolted down.

Thanks for the recommendations guys.

I don't keep my hitch in when I'm not using it(in the toolbox) but I keep my key on a small d-ring clip and clip it to my key ring. Then its always with me. Plus the spare is in the glove box.
Looks like auto zone is calling your name!! LOL

Coposrv

Reaction score
^ unusually leave my pintle hitch in just for added protection if I get rear ended lol. I'm heading to autozone tomorrow at lunch break.

JrStroker

Reaction score
I used to do that to until I was backing in a parking spot and tapped them. With my hitch. Right in the license plate, so no damage. Haha guy was freakin out. Not sure how much they are, bought mine with a hitch. Couldn't be much. $10-$12

fine69

Reaction score
Leaving any hitch in your receiver gets you a $100 fine around here. Sucks if you accidentally leave it in and a cop sees you!

Zmann

Reaction score
on mine I use a lock

and I have a bolt ( drill hole and weld a nut ) that i use to tighten the receive so it doesn't rattle

I am sure if someone broke the lock they wouldn't figure the bolt and My B&W hitch would be safe

also I would notice it missing before towing since the head of the lock is right where one of the saftey chains attaches

Russ

Reaction score
fine69 what was the charge? I'm calling BS on the LEO on that one.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
I was always told that in theory, if someone rearends you, it will do more damage to their car assuming the hitch goes.through the radiator...but if they hit you who cares?

sent while looking at a hole in my block

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
You guys gotta remember, picking a lock isn't hard. I can pick a masterlock padlock in about 20 seconds. If they want it, they will get it...

JrStroker

Reaction score
You guys gotta remember, picking a lock isn't hard. I can pick a masterlock padlock in about 20 seconds. If they want it, they will get it...

That's just it. If they want it, they WILL get it. Why not just take the whole truck? But as I see it, a small lock will detour most of the common thieves. Plus if you was a thief, would you sit on the cold hard ground for 20 seconds to pick a lock to get a hitch when you could walk 3 cars up and grab the unlocked pin hitch from the dodge. Hahaha just saying. I can be done, but seems like easy cheap insurance.

Latest posts

Members online