studs, headgasket's and?

waywardtravel

Reaction score
Ok this is my first post here. Boat captain now but boat diesel mechanic for 20years or parts of and always built and raced stuff gas and diesel.

A buddy has an 08 6.4. He races a little but running around 13.0's. Trucks a daily.

As expected he blew a head gasket and is making air in the coolant.
It's full delete because this country never had the emissions junk.

1. What else should be done while in there? He's having his mechanic do the job but there limited here and I'm trying to help him out. I would hate for the guy to miss something obvious or to not do something easy while the cab is up.
Right now it's arp's and headgaskets going in. Cabs going up. He blew 1 intercooler boot so those will get swapped.
2. If he wants to bump up the power what else should be done while he's in there? I'm sure he'll never go over 750. I'd say 600-650 goal for now.

I'll be searching for manuals and write ups to see do's and don'ts to help him out.

I want to say he is running a 280hp tune from memory
quad cab short box.

Although my truck beats his it's crazy how much you guys can get from just tuning.

waywardtravel

Reaction score
I should add he only tows once in a blue moon, very short boat ramp trip without hills but maybe 12,000lbs.

Money is an object. Whose transmissions are holding up the best? No wars just which ones are people happy with?

waywardtravel

Reaction score
I read a couple threads about the rockers. It only showed one or two trucks that were bad. I guess your saying just do it or it's a likely failure?
The rockers look like they would fail by size and shape. Pushrods are usually good?

6.4f350

Reaction score
Oil cooler, rockers, lifters, uppipes, and all new gaskets/seals are the minimum to do on that job. Have the heads cut the minimum amount to get them flat and go over the block with a lapping block. If you want to dig deeper you can do coated/delipped/HD pistons and all new OEM or aftermarket rods. If you go that far you might as well do a cam while you're there. Bigger chargers will give a slight bump in power but if you're budget-conscious and want a big bang for your buck, a single charger conversion will make the biggest longevity/reliability difference while still bumping power a bit. There are obvious downsides to going single as well, it's all up to how you want to the truck to drive.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Oil cooler, rockers, lifters, uppipes, and all new gaskets/seals are the minimum to do on that job. If you want to dig deeper you can do coated/delipped/HD pistons and all new OEM or aftermarket rods. If you go that far you might as well do a cam while you're there. Bigger chargers will give a slight bump in power but if you're budget-conscious and want a big bang for your buck, a single charger conversion will make the biggest longevity/reliability difference while still bumping power a bit. There are obvious downsides to going single as well, it's all up to how you want to the truck to drive.

Good call on the up pipes.

I would highly recommend the BD Diesel kit that comes with the higher flowing manifolds and new up pipes.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
op i have h-11 studs in stock on sale for great prices, much better than arp , and might have a few other things your buddy could want ;

6.4f350

Reaction score
How much can be cleaned off the head before there toast? Clearance issues?
I'm liking this website by the way. Pretty direct people.

Ford publishes tolerances for head thickness as well as valve recession. As long as you're within spec you're good.

6.4f350

Reaction score
Had to take 7 thou off my heads to get them flat and it brought them to right within allowed spec

Side note - I received my BD manifolds and uppipes today. High quality product and these suckers are beefy. Huge upgrade over factory stuff.

6.4f350

Reaction score
Here's one of my new BD manifolds next to a factory one. Little bit of a difference

5872A85C-AF1D-42CB-8E9D-86FE87D20816_zpsvd6v9wrq.jpg

Full set:
079970FB-95C9-47FC-AE09-0E603946C4FB_zps2yrj9pmy.jpg

Rubenk

Reaction score
At a minimum, oil cooler, rockers/lifters, upgraded pushrods added to his list. HPFP updated gasket is good to do as well. Is he already EGR removed? Best time to do it while everything is apart.

If he can swing it, coated stock manifolds and new HD uppipes from your vendor of choice. Downpipe is nice to do while turbos are out too. Two-piece ceramic coated is what I went with.

Next would be turbo(s). Single conversion, a 72atmo upgrade, or 59/72s if money is there. Wastegate kit can help make things safer as well if you stay compounds.

The rest can be done without tearing into motor. Traction bars, intake, transmission, etc...

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Watch the AC line clearance to the passenger manifold. With them being that much bigger it is really close. A trick I did was turned the AC line around and twisted the mounting on them. The straight part is on the compressor and the bend to the accumulator.

6.4f350

Reaction score
Watch the AC line clearance to the passenger manifold. With them being that much bigger it is really close. A trick I did was turned the AC line around and twisted the mounting on them. The straight part is on the compressor and the bend to the accumulator.

The BD manifolds come with an offset adapter that moves the AC line out of the way for the bigger manifold

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Right on. BD was back ordered when I did mine so I just put 6.0 manifolds on and had that line was interesting.

Sent from the bat phone near a drilling rig.

6.4f350

Reaction score
Right on. BD was back ordered when I did mine so I just put 6.0 manifolds on and had that line was interesting.

Sent from the bat phone near a drilling rig.

Yeah if the BDs didn't come with that, you'd have to come up with some hack **** to get them to fit. They are massive compared to the factory manifolds.

Latest posts

Members online