Super Duty axles on a OBS

Baker42

Reaction score
I know the thread has been done but I found a deal on a Dana 60 and 10.5 rear for $500. My truck has 4.10s and these axles have 3.73s so I would just swap them both for that price without having to change the ratio in the front.
My plan is to use a sky rs kit. But what about the rear? Are the spring perches the same width? Can I just use the yolk off the OBS so my stock driveline would bolt up? What about the E-brake? The guy is throwing in the SD springs drivelines axles and wheels so I can not pass this up. Any one with any knowledge about this I would like to hear from you. Thanks

94.5 Stroker

Reaction score
The yoke needs to be changed. Perches on the back are about 1/2" widee but you can make it all work. I haven't hooked my ebrake cables up yet.

co04cobra

Reaction score
If the axles are from a gas truck you may not need to change the yoke. I didn't run into any width difference on the rear.

The front perches are wider, but can be made to work. IMO you should call Trevor at PMF and get the RSK for SD axles. I used a cable from 00 explorer sport to hook my E-brake up. It was the right length, and is all exactly like factory.

You also will need a conversion U joint for the front axle yoke.

Also, I suggest just get new springs from ford. They are really reasonably priced, and it eliminates the guessing game on used springs.

Last edited:

Baker42

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The yolk on the 10.5 is flanged. Can I just bolt my 10.25 yolk on and be good as far as driveline or will I need a new driveline?

Krause

Reaction score
Cary can help you, there is also enough info kicking around to figure this out. I came across nearly the same deal as you for 03' axles which is why I am not going to do the 05+ swap. Here is a short list of what you will need to do.

-As mentioned above, you will NEED to give Trevor a call at PMF and have him make you an RSK for the from that accommodates for the wider SD spring perches. They are nearly 2 inches wider overall, its too much to pry the springs apart and looks terrible/hack job if you do it this way. Trevor can help..

-You need to buy a track bar bracket and weld to the frame to line up with new longer superduty trackbar. Find the thread by frankthetank and look at the pictures for how this needs to be done- HIs thread is for a 05+ axle swap, but the track bar location/setup will be similar to the 99-04 axles. This is the bracket I am using.
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/PAN-OUT.html
I believe Cary sells one as well.

-You'll need 8x170 wheels, remember 05+ wheels have very small backspacing and will look funny without the wider 05+axles, and IMO non of the ones from 99-04 are that nice. Aftermarket or whatever, pick your poison but you OBS wheels will not just bolt on.
-(you will also need metric lugnuts. SOme axles are 14x2.0 course thread, some later 02 and up are typically 14x1.5 fine thread) Keep this in mind.

-Your stock steering box and pitman arm will work, but you may have to have the pitman arm reamed out to accept the 99-04 tie rod; this I am not positive on yet, but I know it has to be done for 05+ steering linkage, so maybe/likely for 99-04.

-Are you going to rear superduty springs as well? They use a metric bolt, you can re-use your rear shackle, but will need to clearance it a bit for the SD springs and ream out the hole slightly that accept the through bolt from the leafs, just a bit to take the metric bolt. Spring perches on the rear work just fine (unlike the front) unless the axles are for some reason out of a cab and chassis truck, (unlikely but worth mentioning I guess).

-Unit Bearings are not as bad as everyone says (IMO), they can be had for a semi un-reasonable price on rockauto. Keep this in mind and perhaps throw some fresh ones on unless you know the history of the other ones. Chances are youll have to do it in a few thousand anyways, may as well be on a bench.

-Yoke from your current 10.25 will get you rolling 2x4, may want to attain another somehow so you can sell your 10.25 whole. Not exactly sure on the front driveshaft, as others have mentioned it needs a conversion Ujoint that is commonly available at the local driveshaft shop, but I didnt write the part number down when I read it, now its long done.

-Krause

Last edited:

co04cobra

Reaction score
What I did for a track bar was designed a bracket that bolts to the SD sway bar on the backside. I then used a factory obs F350 track bar bracket and had Trevor build me a adjustable track bar. It is also the factory length of an obs 350 track bar.

Last edited:

Krause

Reaction score
What I did for a track bar was designed a bracket that bolts to the SD sway bar on the backside. I then used a factory obs F350 track bar bracket and had Trevor build me a adjustable track bar. It is also the factory length of an obs 350 track bar.

Yes you could fab something to retain the use of OBS track bar, nothing wrong with that. However, you loose the advantage of the longer track bar from the superduty, which helps to attenuate the bumpsteer if you are going to end up with any. I also hate the stock OBS track bar mount when you have to get a drop plate for it, difficult to keep extremely tight, but Trevor's one piece would remedy that, also more $.

Baker42

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Kind of wanted to do this without welding to the frame. I was planning on reusing the OBS rear spring packs. Just wanting to slide the 10.5 under ther and change the yolk from the 10.25 and reuse the OBS rear driveline. I will miss the factory Alcoas

Lang

Reaction score
Cary can help you, there is also enough info kicking around to figure this out. I came across nearly the same deal as you for 03' axles which is why I am not going to do the 05+ swap. Here is a short list of what you will need to do.

-As mentioned above, you will NEED to give Trevor a call at PMF and have him make you an RSK for the from that accommodates for the wider SD spring perches. They are nearly 2 inches wider overall, its too much to pry the springs apart and looks terrible/hack job if you do it this way. Trevor can help..

-You need to buy a track bar bracket and weld to the frame to line up with new longer superduty trackbar. Find the thread by frankthetank and look at the pictures for how this needs to be done- HIs thread is for a 05+ axle swap, but the track bar location/setup will be similar to the 99-04 axles. This is the bracket I am using.
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/PAN-OUT.html
I believe Cary sells one as well.

-You'll need 8x170 wheels, remember 05+ wheels have very small backspacing and will look funny without the wider 05+axles, and IMO non of the ones from 99-04 are that nice. Aftermarket or whatever, pick your poison but you OBS wheels will not just bolt on.
-(you will also need metric lugnuts. SOme axles are 14x2.0 course thread, some later 02 and up are typically 14x1.5 fine thread) Keep this in mind.

-Your stock steering box and pitman arm will work, but you may have to have the pitman arm reamed out to accept the 99-04 tie rod; this I am not positive on yet, but I know it has to be done for 05+ steering linkage, so maybe/likely for 99-04.

-Are you going to rear superduty springs as well? They use a metric bolt, you can re-use your rear shackle, but will need to clearance it a bit for the SD springs and ream out the hole slightly that accept the through bolt from the leafs, just a bit to take the metric bolt. Spring perches on the rear work just fine (unlike the front) unless the axles are for some reason out of a cab and chassis truck, (unlikely but worth mentioning I guess).

-Unit Bearings are not as bad as everyone says (IMO), they can be had for a semi un-reasonable price on rockauto. Keep this in mind and perhaps throw some fresh ones on unless you know the history of the other ones. Chances are youll have to do it in a few thousand anyways, may as well be on a bench.

-Yoke from your current 10.25 will get you rolling 2x4, may want to attain another somehow so you can sell your 10.25 whole. Not exactly sure on the front driveshaft, as others have mentioned it needs a conversion Ujoint that is commonly available at the local driveshaft shop, but I didnt write the part number down when I read it, now its long done.

-Krause

Thanks for info!

co04cobra

Reaction score
I wanted to use a obs track bar bracket because I did not want to weld to my frame either.

I did not have to ream my pitman either. I also did not have to clearance my rear spring hangers, but I used the SD hanger iirc.

One of my biggest reasons for the swap is because I prefer the unit bearings.

Baker42

Reaction score
I just want to get that POS 50 out of my truck. Tires are not cheap and the 50 just chews the shoulders out of them. Do you have any bump stear with the obs track bar?

JD3020

Reaction score
I've seen pictures of a truck without a RSK and SD springs, doesn't look too bad and he has 0 issues with it.

I'll probably be doing SD axles, undecided if i want leaves or dick with coils. But if i go with 99-05 i won't be running an RSK either, its a work truck so last thing i need is to start lifting the thing.

Baker42

Reaction score
One other thing I was wondering about was the VSS in the rear of the 10.5 being compatable with the 10.25

Krause

Reaction score
I've seen pictures of a truck without a RSK and SD springs, doesn't look too bad and he has 0 issues with it.

I'll probably be doing SD axles, undecided if i want leaves or dick with coils. But if i go with 99-05 i won't be running an RSK either, its a work truck so last thing i need is to start lifting the thing.

If we are thinking about the same pictures of the guy who put 99-04 axles in without doing anything to accommodate for the wider width... Then we have different opinions of 'dosnt look too bad' ... Cause I thought it looked terrible, not to mention a ticking time bomb death trap. The leafs were noticeably tweaking, huge amount of stress not designed for, not to mention his leaf spring bushings were gonna be getting turfed way faster than the Dana 50 gear ever was. (We may not be thinking of the same one though, let me see if I can dig up the thread).

Not wanting to weld to the frame is fair enough, but i still prefer to weld one very sturdy bracket and get the superior track bar versus mess with fabbing and riggamerooing to get the short track bar back in. To each their own.

The rear really shouldn't give you many problems, but it won't just drop in as you hope. You need SD shackles or you will need to clearance you OBS ones, it is what it is. Taking 3/4 inch of the web space out should take 10 mins.

Ahh sorry on edit, the 10.5 will slide right in there with a change in yokes for the most part if you are re using your original OBS springs. Sorry about that. But if you get SD rear springs and use them, then the above ^ needs to happen

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online