Super Duty axles on a OBS

Krause

Reaction score
I found the thread on how NOT to do this...
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1140969-superduty-axles-under-97-psd.html

Sorry guys if we have different views, but that ^ , is not the right way to do this. Front spring rear shackle looks as though it will come apart after 100 miles of vibrations and stress cycles. Not to mention a whole slew of other issues with that thread which are some big red flags. Please don't do that..

Baker42

Reaction score
Thanks Krause I just want all the info and materials before I am in the middle of it and I have to go source more parts

Baker42

Reaction score
I saw that thread too. I think a RSK would be the correct way for the install. I wonder if the TTB Dana 50 spindle would bolt up. Just a thought. I like the factory Alcoas

Krause

Reaction score
I saw that thread too. I think a RSK would be the correct way for the install. I wonder if the TTB Dana 50 spindle would bolt up. Just a thought. I like the factory Alcoas

Spindle won't bolt up, I'm nearly sure of this. And Different length, especially for the unit bearing axles. The only practical way to retain using you factory wheel that I know of is to have your unit bearing hub flange, and rear hub, machined with a 8x6.5 pattern between the existing holes and install appropriate studs. Then by 99-04 E-series rotors, as they are 8x6.5. Then you might be dealing with a strength issue... Not sure...

Or get wheel adapters. They are plenty strong, but are gonna push your wheels out 2 inches each side, and put extra stress on the unit bearing...

Krause

Reaction score
or swap 94-97 knuckles out

Right or swap to 94-97 knuckles, forgot about that. But you may as well just find a 94-97 Dana 60 if you are thinking to do that. Will need a donor axle, and will sacrifice SD brakes in the process, so just get an OBS dana 60 in this case.

Krause

Reaction score
Well Im just gonna run with the superduty D60 but thanks for clearing that up

That's what I would be (am) doing, I just had to anti-up for some 8x170mm wheels and let go of the alcoas, sucks but I'm a fan of the aftermarket ones I run also so no lost sleep. Plus bigger brakes are good :thumbsup:.

Latest posts

Members online