T500 vs stock pump test

Tom S

Reaction score
I had the opportunity to do some before and after data logs for a local friend. His truck is an 03 with well under a 100k miles on the stock injectors with new O-rings and new IPR O-rings. He reported the truck has more zip and less smoke. His truck had an exceptionally smooth idle with the stock pump and has more of a normal good running truck idle after installing the T500. The duty cycle with T500 at idle was 1% more then the stock pump in the 11% range with stock in the 10% range at the same oil temp. The idle also had a little more tick/knock sound with the T500 but that seemed to be trending down after the truck had some more hard runs on it. there might not have been quite enough miles to get all the air out. The truck had an odd popping note to the exhaust with the stock pump if you were on it hard with a wall to reflect the exhaust note back into the cab. With the T500 that was gone. The boost in this truck comes up amazingly fast with a 38r at altitude.

I think we did a pretty good job keeping things consistent between the tests for a decent comparison. I will post up some graphs on the next page.

Tom S

Reaction score
These runs were made on the same tune which is an 80hp everyday tune. They were done on the same section of road, same general outside temperature and load. I am assume the tuning could add to or take away from the ICP values. We tested in that tune because that is what he normally drives in not towing.

Attachments

• ICP.JPG
    ICP.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 290
  • IPR.JPG
    IPR.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:

JDub

Reaction score
Good data. Nice to see you're still around Tom!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

powerlifter405

Reaction score
Ty commented similarly about his use w/ tunes, the 38R and an SRP. By using just the SRP made a significant improvement in overall drivability, IIRC. Maybe he'll chime in.

Tom S

Reaction score
I was digging around and found some of my old stuff I did with an adrenaline pump. This was on a different truck with different tuning but stock injectors tested the same way like we did with the T500 just for comparison. I do not remember any details of how the truck drove other then it ran good better with the upgraded pump. I might have some more data from that truck tunes other then the 80E from Tony.

Attachments

• Adrenaline 80e.JPG
    Adrenaline 80e.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 196

ToMang07

Reaction score
I would think the IPR duty cycle would be lower the whole curve....seems on the high end it was the same.

thuglike

Reaction score
May have NOTHING to do with the pump itself....tuning can play funny tricks with duty cycle.

AND

At WOT who cares what the DC is as long as it's holding the pressure and the truck is not falling on it's face.
No one is driving wide open all the time.

JD3020

Reaction score
Maybe its because i'm not familar with how stock injectors are as its been years since i've ran a set of em, and didn't have any sort of scantool back then or any tunes for that matter. But to me i'm not seeing much gain at all, i'm assuming by still having DC at the same levels as the stock pump that the IPR is maxed out. ICP seems a little low to me as well which my guess is caused by the HPOP still not being able to keep up.

But thats just my view of it.

thuglike

Reaction score
Knowing what the tuner is calling for at wot would help analize it.

ICP at WOT?
PW at WOT?

Again, I believe too many people put too much importance on WOT DC. As long as pressure stays constant most of us are not wide open for more than 15 seconds or so....some less. Now if that DC was at crusin' speed, say 75 mph...PROBLEM!!

But to do a full breakdown on the graphs, we need tuner info.
What's being asked as compared to what's actually happening.

JD3020

Reaction score
I agree that if it was that high at less than WOT there would be an issue. And it would be great to know what the tune is calling for. But IMO if DC is maxed out at WOT then the pump is at its max just trying to keep up, and still falling short.

Although my reading comprehension failed me, i just realized Tom said it was an 01. I was thinking OBS. LOL I know how oil thirsty my truck was with AB's and a 17*, so the data Tom posted makes more sense to me now.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Knowing what the tuner is calling for at wot would help analize it.

ICP at WOT?
PW at WOT?

Again, I believe too many people put too much importance on WOT DC. As long as pressure stays constant most of us are not wide open for more than 15 seconds or so....some less. Now if that DC was at crusin' speed, say 75 mph...PROBLEM!!

But to do a full breakdown on the graphs, we need tuner info.
What's being asked as compared to what's actually happening.

You'd **** your pants if you seen how I towed my 5th wheel with my dually.

live life full throttle

V-Ref

Reaction score
Tom

Thanks for posting the data.

These are fixed displacement pumps...the most demanding combination/environments for our HPO systems will be large nozzle/long PW/low rpm scenarios.....once the engine rpm is up...so is pump rpm.

Tuners....right?

Gearhead

Reaction score
Did I read that correctly? A higher duty cycle at idle would indicate the pump is putting out less volume.

Tom S

Reaction score
Did I read that correctly? A higher duty cycle at idle would indicate the pump is putting out less volume.

I was kinda suprised by that as well. It was one of the first things I looked at when I hopped in the truck. I had happened to have saved a screen shot from when when I looked at the truck the first time. It was definately a higher IPR duty cycled with the T500 pump. Not a lot like 1.2 or so percent but it was there. We went back and looked at the oil temps and they were the same. There might be an oil change in there so perhaps that is a factor that I am not accounting for. I only say that because we talked about the bypass filtration system he had put on the truck. I can email him and ask if you or anyone else is curious.

Tom S

Reaction score
All that said...gains were made with a simple pump swap. Tweeked tunes and good to go!!!

I agree with this and have a question as well. Is 65% the max IRP value on a SD truck? I want to keep thinking the number was more like 80% but maybe that is a OBS thing. On both of those trucks I would have been very curious to see what the numbers were if the pulse width was less like say 4 vs the approximately 5 that it was.

Tom

Latest posts

Members online