The Perfect 99-04 Suspension

liquidlounge

Reaction score
I think an interesting front spring combination would be the V,W,or X code leaf springs with the Sulastic front shackles. I have the old Velvet-Ride rear shackles (a similar product) on my truck since new and they have been excellent. I've never found anyone who has used the front versions though.

liquidlounge

Reaction score
I think the Excursion guys are the ones who have the most experience changing the suspension on these front leaf set ups and what works for them should be the same for us truck guys. As I view it (very un-scientific!), I would say 60% like the V codes vs. 40% prefer the X codes. The V codes are a little softer but the X codes allow for more travel. The W codes fall right between the V and X codes and it surprises me that almost nobody reports trying them. I believe the W codes also allow for the same travel as the X's. Anyway, just trying to keep a great topic rolling.

PABowhunter

Reaction score
You're right. You don't hear of too many guys running the W codes.

I'm going to stick with what I have for now and slowly try a few new things over time. I'm not going to throw all the money at once into a 15 year old truck. I'm going to start with either Bilstein 5100's or Fox Shocks all the way around and the steering dampener. When the rubber wears out I'm going to go from a 16x10 up to a 20x10 wheel with probably a little taller tire. My tires measure just under 33" now. I'll probably move up to something in the 34"-35" range. If I rub I'll add a small shackle lift to keep the ride of the X codes and allow them to have a little more range of motion. The less sidewall will make a difference then as well.

I figure do one thing at a time and see for myself what has the biggest effect on ride quality.

HighSilver

Reaction score
I don't know if they still do but I'm pretty sure if I remember right Carli used Deaver for leaf springs.

Jomax

Reaction score
Carli makes a 4.5in lift with deavers all the way around and king 2.5 shocks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyCorr

Reaction score
Buy the softest springs you can(which are cheap), the best shocks you can (fox or bilstein), and if you honestly tow often, airbags. Ive lost the need to tow very much as I sold my enclosed trailer and thusly my airbags are still in a box. I took the free/cheap shocks when I bought my suspension and my truck rides great. Seriously a 1st gen superduty that rides really well. No magic just the right parts.

psduser1

Reaction score
I think the Excursion guys are the ones who have the most experience changing the suspension on these front leaf set ups and what works for them should be the same for us truck guys. As I view it (very un-scientific!), I would say 60% like the V codes vs. 40% prefer the X codes. The V codes are a little softer but the X codes allow for more travel. The W codes fall right between the V and X codes and it surprises me that almost nobody reports trying them. I believe the W codes also allow for the same travel as the X's. Anyway, just trying to keep a great topic rolling.

Buy the softest springs you can(which are cheap), the best shocks you can (fox or bilstein), and if you honestly tow often, airbags. Ive lost the need to tow very much as I sold my enclosed trailer and thusly my airbags are still in a box. I took the free/cheap shocks when I bought my suspension and my truck rides great. Seriously a 1st gen superduty that rides really well. No magic just the right parts.

I bought obswiz's advice and parts for my ex, and it works well. W-code springs in front with his bilsteins.
Much better ride than most superduties I've been in.
The shocks seemed soft at first, but they do seem to be stiffening up as they get some miles on them.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I dont know anything about the codes. My lift kit was all custom made leaf packs. It was perfect until i broke one of the rears and then it was constantly issues with the sorings. Namely height differences corner to corner. The rears broke again and I tore it all off.

My rears are either 2800 or 3k lb. My front springs are 3k lb rough country. Shocks are cheap rancho 7k and rough country nitros. Rides like a caddy. Lol. These shocks arent my lifetime solution. Just for now until i see how it rides.

I appreciate your input and i only wanted to share my idea. Soft with aggressive damping. Add bags for tow capacity.

Im assuming yours is setup for higher weight capacity.

psduser1

Reaction score
If your talking about my excursion, it's not any thing special. Only thing it hauls is a $$, lol. The rear springs are actually stock, with two added leaves. Apples to oranges, due to weight differences between the trucks and ex. The changes to the excursion were just for handling purposes.
I have a couple of custom spring shops nearby, but avoided that route for exactly the reason you mentioned, ty.
The trucks just got Dayton spring replacement packs, based on weight rating and intended load. I would not recommend that route, if a "soft" ride is the goal.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yea, my superduty was stiffer than a wedding boner until this recent renovation. Hard on shocks and pretty much everything else.

Im hoping this stays the same or gets better. Rides unbelievably well. Well besides the recent balljoint bang and my steering box needs adjustment.

psduser1

Reaction score
I just went back and double checked my emails with Cary, and I misspoke. My excursion front Springs are v-code, not w.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.