the right turbo for me?

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
So I'm looking into getting a few more go fast parts for my truck. I'll be doing studs, springs and built trans soon. I'm also looking at turbos but am completely lost. I know a 38r would do good on my current setup(180/100) but in the future I plan on going bigger(should have got hybrids from the start) probably no bigger than 250/200 or 100. So the 38r may not handle those well and I started looking at irates t4 mount. The s366 looked appealing but a lot of people are saying it's a good little turbo but that's what it is LITTLE. So I looked at other options. The modded h2e seems appealing but I also looked at the gt4294 and s471. Sorry this was long winded but I want your opinions. Don't really have a set goal yet but It'll probably be around 550hp in the future(not close future).

mattman347

Reaction score
I run the S468FMW on my 350/200's right now, and I ran it with my stage 2's. I love this turbo! It spools up nice and pulls hard on the top end! If you are wanting to talk about it give me a call anytime.

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
I am running a s366 on a wastegated Irate mount, and the turbo is perfectly happy with 250/80 or 100% nozzles. The truck flat out rips, crew cab in the 12's and can tow it's ass off as well, you can't go wrong with staying with a 66mm turbo for a fun peppy street truck. It's just over half the price of the Forged Mill Wheel 67mm s400 (which is abso***inlutely HUGE with the race cover in comparison to the s300 frame turbo) and it does everything and more you can ask out of a $800 turbo. However with a little more money you get a good bit more performance out of the s467FMW. I know i want one!

TARM

Reaction score
Find a pull off GT4294. It will be the cheapest option and you can do a full rebuild even with a new comp wheel for pennies (well not really but you know what I mean) You can get out of it for well under a grand. With 200% nozzles and a healthy motor will put you knocking at 600. Vanderchevy weighing 7340 lbs ran a 12.8@105 that was with a torn up comp wheel on his gt4294 pull off with a tight .98 turbine housing. That works out to around 570 HP. Add in a good wheel and rebuild kit and a 1.15 housing and wg I could see calling it a 600HP combo.

This is the way the wheel looked for that run:

64647375_photobucket_65761_.jpg

TyCorr

Reaction score
Im gonna.be.that guy. I love my 38r. I had it on a stock truck. Had it on a truck with a straight 100hp tune. Then with php fu.chip. Now with 175/80's and the truck is ,hmmmmm, nimble. Which is.pretty impressive for a 9k lb truck(6"lift, 37s, and weatherguard box/bed full of tools. It'll burn the 37s if you mat it and then let the charger light. If you apply full throttle at a stop sign, by the time the ass end.of the truck is going past the stop sign the tires are boiling.

The truck is more efficient to.drive. In the name of.this.thread Ill point out how the truck can pull itself.from.45 to high.speed without downshifting. The tuning keeps the truck in od but the bb charger spools quick.enough to.make power and thus.not.command downshifts at every change of throttle.

Last edited:

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
Ha i want all opinions so its good to read all these.

Tarm I like your idea where do you get the pull offs and aren't they t6 housing.

Powerstrokejunkie what wastegate are you running on it?

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
the s467 billet spools plenty quick with a set of 100% nozzles and good tuning, i dont think i would go any smaller than it unless you had less of an injector.

It is definitely a large one physically, but its street manners cant be beat in my opinion. Just like on the injectors, dont go too small and have to upgrade later. Buy something you can grow into a little bit!

TARM

Reaction score
Yes it will have a T6 housing but you then pick up a used 1.15 t4 housing and you are gtg. That is what I also did for my GTX. I picked up a used T4 1.15. If you are not in a super rush doing things like that can literally save you more than 50% on what it costs to do these kinds of builds. Trying to find where guys are getting rid of their 7.3 stuff as they more onto the 6.4 or whatever.

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
I guess i totally brain farted on this. I hadn't even checked the classifieds until you said something, there are a ton of t4 turbos up for grabs for 1/2 the cost of new. I'm going to give jake a call in the next few days and talk with him. I hope to see this build start coming along soon. New injectors will be a LONG way off since mine have less than 5000 miles.

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
I ran a GT4294 with a 1.0 T4 housing.. It worked great, truck did 570HP with it..

it's looking like the 4294 is going to be the most versatile turbo. I'm still looking at everything, I haven't set an hp goal yet and am looking at every option still. I'm sure my bank acount would love if I stay with my setup now. I have no clue what is going to happen with the truck yet, if it gets a t4 it'll be a 4294 with a 1.0 on an irate mount tho for sure.

cjfarm11

Reaction score
Anyone has an opinion on the GQSSB? Heard it a great turbo, and would fit his needs?

V-Ref

Reaction score
What are the differences between the gt4294 and the gtx4294r?

GT4294=journal bearing CHRA (center housing rotating assembly)/cast compressor wheel
GTX4294R=ball bearing CHRA/billet compressor wheel

Journal bearing-rebuildable
Ball bearing=$1300 was the last quote I got on a garrett CHRA

GT4294= low 1K is a good deal
GTX4294R=low/mid 2K range is a good deal

GT4294 cast compressor wheel is good for 85 lbs/min (550-600 hp provided the rest of truck is there)
451888-9comp.jpg

GTX4294R billet compressor wheel is good for 95 lbs/min (600-650 hp provided the rest of the truck is there)
GTX4294R-Compressor-Map.jpg

Smart fellas...square my post away if I missed something.

Latest posts

Members online