The "single tune" debate

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
Figured I'd start this thread because I know I'm not the only one that feels that one tune can handle 99% of what we're doing with our trucks. I have a TS 6pos with 1 tune burned on it currently just to fill up the other 5 slots. The pedal is left alone so I can drive it in rain/snow/ice without worrying about getting involved in a wreck from an on/off pedal. At the same time the more I roll into it the more throttle is applied so it drives just like a quick stock like truck.
I really wish we could get modern made single position chips like the old Superchips Gold & the old ATS & Western Diesel single position chips. They plugged into your PCM & if you didn't want em all you had to do was pull it out. I don't know how many people I talk to that have a work truck & want a single daily/eco tune but have no use for a 6pos chip. Before someone says it, yes I know that some tuners offer PCM flashes but I am talking about something on a TS style format so the tuner of your choice can burn it with the tune of your desire.
I know I'm not the only one that feels that 1 tune is "enough" when it's done correctly.

Denver

Reaction score
I've been thinking the same thing. I really only need 1 performance tune but would like to have the option to be able to switch the back to stock when someone else is driving it or if it's to wet out.

big_stroker

Reaction score
I use my All-Out tune most of the time... Only other tunes I use is High Idle and Eco.

A 3 POS chip would work best for me or maybe even 2 POS toggle switch.

firehunter

Reaction score
I have always felt this way, still have a PCM flashed by DP. My TS style chips (both of them) only have two tunes on them, one for towing and one for performance. That's it. That is one of the reasons I went with PHP because they charge by the tune and not one set price for six tunes. I had other vendors tell me it wasn't worth their time to mess with anything less than six tunes. Needless to say I was a bit turned off by that and went with a vendor that would supply just one or two tunes at a time.

I remember from Bill's thread on his project truck he had stage 1's in it, made 399HP on the dyno, and was still able to tow reasonable weight trailers without excessive EGT's. Sounded like a great "single tune" to me.

2006nytro

Reaction score
i like my 6 pos i use all my tunes about the same. but a single tune chip is a great cost effective idea i think it would sell like wildfire.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Im on this bus!! Read my mind. I want my truck to behave like a stock truck until.about half throttle and then turn up the wick. I have stock injs so my voice is quieter but I hate running down the road ***kin with that knob. HATE IT!! My 140 extreme from php is totally driveable and behaves unless you mash it but I still hate that damn knob working itself loose every two weeks.

This very issue is what is going to lead me to taking up tuning for myself.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
I couldnt have only one tune. My drag file I set the TC to lock by 8-10 MPH. Tow tunes are different shift strategies compared to my DD tunes. Realistically it comes down to the trans with having a large charger and trying to keep it happy.

However stock truck to mild mods, 3 would be plenty. Hi idle, mild, hot

Jason

Reaction score
In all honesty, a good solid tow tune would do for most, I think. 60-70 horse bump, could still tow to trucks ratings without egt issues, and be smoke free. On my truck, my 4th position runs stronger than 5 or 6, and my tow tune around town is stronger than #4.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
I ran my PMR motor on one tune, and one tune only, from just over 200k when I installed 160's, until 230k when I swapped a forged motor in. It ran perfectly when I pulled it.

That tune trapped 93 in the quarter, at 8000lbs.

Heaviest trailer was well over 12k, and was not an issue as long as I kept boost up on the hills. Regularly pulled 8-10 trailers. 80mph, 15-20lbs of boost, and 1100ish on hills. Was easy to do with a little gauge watching.

Jonathan @ Beans, FTW.

Tom S

Reaction score
I disagree, I want stock, hi idle a medium performance daily driiving tune and a tune for the mountains to cover the basics.

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
After listening to Ol'Whats-his-name :poke: brag about his 1 tune 600+hp red work/farm truck I've been asking this same question. WHY THE HECK NOT have a linear power that is deliniated by the pedal, ICP and boost? My DD's stay in 1 tune, I don't even have the knob mounted. It's just stuck up under the dash out of the way.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
I disagree, I want stock, hi idle a medium performance daily driiving tune and a tune for the mountains to cover the basics.

Why can't you have a tune that goes into high idle automatically based on coolant temp, can drive daily fine, can run over the mountains, etc - all using the modifier tables for what they were intended to do - modify the fuel and timing based on temperature, atmospheric pressure, etc.... the only reason I think its wise to have two tunes is to have a "valet" tune for when someone else is driving your truck.

Vengeance

Reaction score
Figured I'd start this thread because I know I'm not the only one that feels that one tune can handle 99% of what we're doing with our trucks. I have a TS 6pos with 1 tune burned on it currently just to fill up the other 5 slots. The pedal is left alone so I can drive it in rain/snow/ice without worrying about getting involved in a wreck from an on/off pedal. At the same time the more I roll into it the more throttle is applied so it drives just like a quick stock like truck.
I really wish we could get modern made single position chips like the old Superchips Gold & the old ATS & Western Diesel single position chips. They plugged into your PCM & if you didn't want em all you had to do was pull it out. I don't know how many people I talk to that have a work truck & want a single daily/eco tune but have no use for a 6pos chip. Before someone says it, yes I know that some tuners offer PCM flashes but I am talking about something on a TS style format so the tuner of your choice can burn it with the tune of your desire.
I know I'm not the only one that feels that 1 tune is "enough" when it's done correctly.

All you have to have is the chip, you don't need the switch. Whats the issue?

2006nytro

Reaction score
i do agree with hotrod tractor a valet tune is nice. my mom took my truck to get the xmas tree this year and i left it in my hot tune wasn't thinking well she was pulling out of the tree place. she said she was starting to pull out then a car came over the hill so she hammered it and it was a little wet out well she kind did a 180 in the road.. so yes a valet tune is a very nice thing to have..

but i was thinking why don't we have chips that can be tethered to our iPhones and droids and such?? just pull up and app and select the tune and done?

samoht517

Reaction score

Exactly. My chip has 4 settings. Stock, 1200 high idle, 60 economy, and 100 performance. Also no start but that is tune 0 and you have to know what your doing to turn it on. I use high idle in the morning and at the track to keep it warm after sitting in the staging lanes so coolant temp wouldn't work. I run my 100 when there is snow because the down low throttle response is much better. So a linear pedal that kicks hard later wouldn't work.

If you hate having a knob that comes loose or empty slots on said knob. Get a new DP that way you can have a switcher that screws in only has numbers for the tunes burned, you can run anyone's tunes, and change them with a USB.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.