The "single tune" debate

TyCorr

Reaction score
I need to unplug it, that's for sure. It used to not bother me, but it's getting to where it is sticking now and hanging up. How do you unplug it? I always planned on deleting when I changed turbos, but it's been more problematic this winter than ever.

You can take it off and cut the butterfly out of the .valvebody Jason. It shouldnt take too much unless its never been apart. Then, the little 8mm 12pt bolts dont wanna come out. I did mine three years ago but I should have just pulled the damn charger.

907DAVE

Reaction score
DP and PHP are the only two (that I am aware of) that are capable of flashing your PCM.

CamTom12

Reaction score
Cat Rebel, I don't think this is a 7.3 specific issue. I'd love a single tune for mine that goes from nice part throttle, strong mid-throttle, to max performance WOT with shifting to match.

I like different shifting strategy in the mountains vs driving in town esp. I like the upshift points a tad higher and the downshift points closer to the upshift points for mountains.

I think tying TPS a little more to shift points would take care of this in one tune. I've never tuned a diesel, but good auto trans DD driving in stuff I've tuned needs a balance between TPS, RPM, and VSS to get the shifting just right for the situation. This takes either a lot of experience, or in my case, a lot of time LOL.

I can't STAND to drive a truck with the engine power output wavering all around as the rpm climbs and falls through shifts. Completely unacceptable IMO.

This is a HUGE peeve of mine. I really wish there was a method to self-tune the 6.4's without a huge monetary investment.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Cat Rebel, I don't think this is a 7.3 specific issue. I'd love a single tune for mine that goes from nice part throttle, strong mid-throttle, to max performance WOT with shifting to match.

I think tying TPS a little more to shift points would take care of this in one tune. I've never tuned a diesel, but good auto trans DD driving in stuff I've tuned needs a balance between TPS, RPM, and VSS to get the shifting just right for the situation. This takes either a lot of experience, or in my case, a lot of time LOL.

This is a HUGE peeve of mine. I really wish there was a method to self-tune the 6.4's without a huge monetary investment.

Speaking of tuning, you still rockin that car?

Big Bore

Reaction score
I just towed 5 chords over a 11,000ft pass in my hot tune. It had less heat issues than my previous dedicated towing tunes did. This is with an auto trans. Proper trans tuning will function correctly whether loaded or empty if you aren't overfueling the shyt out of the bottom end. The only other position I need is a no start.

Big Bore

Reaction score
I like different shifting strategy in the mountains vs driving in town esp. I like the upshift points a tad higher and the downshift points closer to the upshift points for mountains. I have had tunes that did the auto high idle and liked them. I do think I like having more control over that myself a little better though. I still like having the stock tune for emissions or "valet." I could be OK with one tune for it all if I had to but if given a choice I prefer at least having a few tunes on hand. I had a lot of input getting the shift strategy down to my preferences so that factors in as well I guess.

Lastly some times I like having no start too.

Tom, we really need to go for a drive in my truck. Since getting rid of XX and having Curtis tune my truck my eyes have been opened. See my previous post here. I drive down to Denver and CO Springs loaded and empty on a regular basis and I have no need for more than one properly written shift strategy. I originally asked Curtis to write me a tow tune, but after trying it for awhile I have left it in the hot tune for months now and don't even think about it.

Latest posts

Members online