To CCV mod or not to CCV mod, that is the question

Codydiesel

Reaction score
I know me and dan did ccv reroute kits when we swapped to non vgt turbos. Both of the inlets of our stock turbos had a puddle of oil that had a green ting to it from the factory ccv.
I have 50k of trouble free miles with the reroute in place and it's just vented to the atmosphere.

Lipka101

Reaction score
I'm kind of in that same bucket, don't really care all that much but I don't want oil accumulating and coating all the piping. If I do run an open system I don't want to cause any extra stress on the turbo.. although I guess eventually that would give me an excuse to upgrade. I think the venturi is currently the only way to ensure there is at least some vacuum on the re-route. Just not sure how that pressure compares the ccv being routed to the intake

Why don't you want oil in the piping? It's not hurting anything. Seems to me its not worth the risk of rerouting it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

ncollins64

Reaction score
I don't have a dog in this fight. But i do a ccv reroute to a canister and then to a Venturi in the ex on all my trucks. I've never experienced any oil leaks or other problems associated with the mod. I don't like oil everywhere in my plumbing and piping. I've seen it cause blown boots etc. And with mine going to the ex, I don't smelll anything and can barely see a small haze out the tailpipe every now and then.

valvetick

Reaction score
Just an opinion here...but leave the factory box on, remove the line from it to the intake, cap the hole in the intake, buy a vinyl 1" hose and slip it on where the hose came off the box and you're done.

Lets the factory box do its separation job, 1" line is plenty big enough to vent pressure, and it all cost you about 8 bucks and 30 mins (if you're working slow...)

This is what I did and it's hazes about the same amount my 6.0 did and never seen it drip or be wet around the dump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Over pressuring the crankcase because of traps, etc.

oh man .. that's pretty far fetched unless you're doing something very wrong. just don't restrict flow, it's a very simple course in physics .

Lipka101

Reaction score
oh man .. that's pretty far fetched unless you're doing something very wrong. just don't restrict flow, it's a very simple course in physics .
Plenty of noobs have done it. Still doesn't answer the question of why reroute it? My opinion is its a waste of time. Unless you have high boost number and have to worry about blowing a boot.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Plenty of noobs have done it. Still doesn't answer the question of why reroute it? My opinion is its a waste of time. Unless you have high boost number and have to worry about blowing a boot.

ccv vapors go after turbo seals, that's reason #1 . reason #2 , especially on the 6.7, is an insane amount of gunk buildup in the cold side . pull any throttle valve from a stock 6.7 with more than a few miles on it .. yeah they seperate the oil/ vapor alright , and leave a nasty mess. plenty of pics out there to prove that one . i respect your opinion, but i feel it may be a little short served on this topic .

bpan

Reaction score
I did a CCV reroute, no smoke no smell why would you not do it? You say it "adds" Pressure to the crank case? How that's not even possible without blocking it off.

JetExpress_6.7

Reaction score
This is what I did and it's hazes about the same amount my 6.0 did and never seen it drip or be wet around the dump.

Same here. Been rerouted to atmo for 50k+ miles now and never have I seen a drip after the trucks been parked and it only haze's at idle. Once engine speed comes up and cylinder pressure increases, the rings expand and you barely have a whisper of smoke coming out. I can prove that with a quick high idle test

CATDiezel

Reaction score

An advanced course in physics would tell you to immediately quit referring to it as a true ventura system.

Although you get some vacuum!! It's not a ventura. Lol...

I had too. Sorry Mikey!

I don't see anything wrong with having a catch can system. It's a man's personall preference. If a man wants one then he does. If not then enjoy.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
93k on my 12. hope to do a throttle valve derreet soon when I get the H&S inner cooler tube kit. ill check for oil build up and see how bad oil build up is.

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

jwalk09

Reaction score
I know it creates some vacuum when tied into the exhaust at idle but I would think at higher Rpms when driving the exhaust gases may force back into the CCV instead of the crankcase gases being sucked out the exhaust? Ive read too many conflicting ideas about rerouting the CCV so that's why mine is back to stock

doo dah

Reaction score
I removed the throttle body on mine at 150k after blowing the intercooler pipe and it was so sludged up I don't think the actuator could even work. I went with non vgt at 160k miles and CCV was reroute and I have had intermittent smoke, generally when it is warm and humid but no oil under the truck and no smell even when it smokes. I'm at 196k miles now.

ckrueg

Reaction score
I know it creates some vacuum when tied into the exhaust at idle but I would think at higher Rpms when driving the exhaust gases may force back into the CCV instead of the crankcase gases being sucked out the exhaust? Ive read too many conflicting ideas about rerouting the CCV so that's why mine is back to stock

If it's at the right angle and position in the exhaust pipe, the flowing exhaust gasses should actually create a lower pressure area around the ccv hose and help the oil vapor to flow out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk