To stack, or not to stack??

Strokin6.4

Reaction score
Ok, its been eating at my for a while now and everyone I know pretty much is pressuring me into wanting a black mitre cut 7" stack off centered. Its killing me because I think it would look great on my truck. Post some positives and negatives of these. Would it change the sound on these 6.4s at all? Right now Im running a 5" flo pro and I havent heard many 6.4 sound like that, but I also dont know anyone with a stacked 6.4 but the MPD guys and they are on a whole different level. Im also posting a pic so you guys can tell me what you'd think it will look like on MY truck. I'd probably run it an inch below the cab.

2012-05-24182701.jpg

Spatel23

Reaction score
You asked...so sorry if I offend anyone.
Stacks are dumb as hell on any dd. The only trucks that stack(s) belong on are dedicated track or sled trucks. PERIOD, no exceptions!

Strokin6.4

Reaction score
I asked for you opinion dont hold back! Lol you won't offend me trust me. Thanks guys.... I like the way ot is now too just was looking for a change haha. Need to stop changing though it keeps getting expensive!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

TripleE44

Reaction score
I like the look of stacks, but for a dd there are just too many negatives. If they're too low you get soot on the back of the cab, when it rains the spot will make a mess of your tailgate and the inside of the bed, the loudness has to be increased because of how close it'll be to you and when you decide all this isn't worth it you've got a hole in your bed. These are all the reasons I don't have one. And believe me, I love the look of the single.

If you want a cheap change, take the back section off and dump it over the axle. I go back and forth on mine and it keeps me from doing anything that costs me money. Damn mod-bug.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
i have a stack on my 7.3 and love it. deep, growly, loud. 6", chrome plated stainless, mitre.

that bein said, its NOT a matter of just putting the stack in and done.

there is this thing called drone. every truck with a stack gets it. its almost always right around 55mph, give or take 5mph. it will make you want to stick your fingers in your ears up to your wrists and wiggle them around.

that bein said, i played with different muffler options, and fixed it, and DIDNT lose the sound of the stack. so it is possible to cure it, but what worked for me, didnt work for a friend of mine.

that bein said, as much as i love it on my 7.3, i would not stack another truck. if you put groceries in the back, lets say a loaf of bread, and for some reason the bread slides out of the plastic bag, the plastic bag will insta-melt to the stack. and it does not come off, except with time, and ALOT of heat. ask me how i know. someone throws a plastic mountain dew bottle in your bed, etc etc, you get the idea.

you dont think that it takes up alot of space back there. and your right, you are only thinking about a 7". but then your not goin to put anything in the bed within about a foot of it, both to protect the stack, and whatever your putting in the bed. so you just lost 19" of box space, plus the front of your box, the upper lip of it sticks back about 2" from the front wall, so you lost that as dead space as well.

unless you run some sort of heat shield, but imo, on a pickup, that looks gay, and takes away from the stack.

if you dont hardly put things in the bed of your truck, then you will like it. if you use your truck as a truck, it will get old

its a novelty item. you will probably love it on this truck, but i highly doubt you'll like enough to do it to another truck. after a while, it starts to rank pretty high on the pita scale.

hope that helps with your decision.

Strokin6.4

Reaction score
Triple.... I've debated on taking the very last piece off by flo pro and stick my tip on that section of pipe I like being able to here the exhaust from the outside of my truck. On my Gasser I had it dumped and it took away the volume of the truck as soon as I ran a tail pipe out it wounded awesome. And with turbo whistle id hate to not be able to here this truck. I think it would look great however having it "dump ". It would shoot smoke right at the ground behind my back tire.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

08BIGRIG

Reaction score
It will also cake the bottom of your truck with soot if you do a dump under your truck. I seen a guy around our area that did just what you are talking about and when I looked under his truck, the entire area was coated with soot and unburnt fuel. Not good. Made a nice truck look like chit.

CAT35niner

Reaction score
Ur truck would look awesome with a stack. With a stock 6.4 dont worry about drone or it getting old like everyone is saying. I had mine for almost 3 yrs and had no issues. I have the same cab style like u and i loved mine. The only drawback was the soot which everyone said too. It was horrible on mine since its silver but i put flappers on mine and solved that plus it looked clean. So for a stock 6.4 i think go for it bud u might just like it. It changes the tone of the truck.

Now since i went to a single turbo they have since come off and a MBRP 5 inch was put on. The single turbo drone was horrible and i couldnt take it anymore. It still sounds great no more drone and no more soot on the bed.

So in the end its ur choice. If ur gonna stay with twins go for it. Single thats another story.

TripleE44

Reaction score
It will also cake the bottom of your truck with soot if you do a dump under your truck. I seen a guy around our area that did just what you are talking about and when I looked under his truck, the entire area was coated with soot and unburnt fuel. Not good. Made a nice truck look like chit.

Mine doesn't do this, but then again when my exhaust comes out the side, it doesn't coat the side of the truck/bumper like a lot of trucks. Last night I did see a dodge with the same thing and even at night I could see the soot covering it all.

Matt

Reaction score
I've had a stack on my truck for over a year, and I like it. I don't haul a lot of stuff though, and when I do it is a bit of a pain. The sound doesn't get annoying to me at all. In the end, I like it on this truck, but I don't think I'll be doing it to my next one.

Kind

Reaction score
Stacks are a personal preference. I never wanted one, but once I lowered mine I didn't have the clearance to exit out the back. As well with my Caltrac's I couldn't dump it in front of the rear tire. I was forced to install a stack.

Now I love mine. Some I think look dumb tho.

If you can't handle noise then don't do it lol. Personally I like driving around with my rear window open so I can hear it better. 3 years and I still love the sound.

El chupacabra

Reaction score
i have a stack on my 7.3 and love it. deep, growly, loud. 6", chrome plated stainless, mitre.

that bein said, its NOT a matter of just putting the stack in and done.

there is this thing called drone. every truck with a stack gets it. its almost always right around 55mph, give or take 5mph. it will make you want to stick your fingers in your ears up to your wrists and wiggle them around.

that bein said, i played with different muffler options, and fixed it, and DIDNT lose the sound of the stack. so it is possible to cure it, but what worked for me, didnt work for a friend of mine.

that bein said, as much as i love it on my 7.3, i would not stack another truck. if you put groceries in the back, lets say a loaf of bread, and for some reason the bread slides out of the plastic bag, the plastic bag will insta-melt to the stack. and it does not come off, except with time, and ALOT of heat. ask me how i know. someone throws a plastic mountain dew bottle in your bed, etc etc, you get the idea.

you dont think that it takes up alot of space back there. and your right, you are only thinking about a 7". but then your not goin to put anything in the bed within about a foot of it, both to protect the stack, and whatever your putting in the bed. so you just lost 19" of box space, plus the front of your box, the upper lip of it sticks back about 2" from the front wall, so you lost that as dead space as well.

unless you run some sort of heat shield, but imo, on a pickup, that looks gay, and takes away from the stack.

if you dont hardly put things in the bed of your truck, then you will like it. if you use your truck as a truck, it will get old

its a novelty item. you will probably love it on this truck, but i highly doubt you'll like enough to do it to another truck. after a while, it starts to rank pretty high on the pita scale.

hope that helps with your decision.

If you melt something on your stack easy off oven cleaner is the secret to get it off I had swept pipes on my bike and the old lady would melt her shoes on the pipe all the time.

Sent from my XT603 using Tapatalk 2

onebad7.3

Reaction score
Stacks are a personal preference. I never wanted one, but once I lowered mine I didn't have the clearance to exit out the back. As well with my Caltrac's I couldn't dump it in front of the rear tire. I was forced to install a stack.

Now I love mine. Some I think look dumb tho.

If you can't handle noise then don't do it lol. Personally I like driving around with my rear window open so I can hear it better. 3 years and I still love the sound.

I agree on some looking dumb. I also love the sound, I catch myself quite often opening the rear window

Latest posts

Members online