Tool Boxes . . .

GreenMachine

Reaction score
Yeah I have a protech rack the same as yours and was thinking it'd be slick to do a box from them, but I want something that is gunna hold up on the next truck or two. The rack is already on its third truck.

I just can't convince myself that $800 on they're big in bed black chest box is worth it. Taylor wings box of similar spec is only $400 or so....

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the Protec box I had on my 97...

Nice box, but I prefer the weatherguard...

44695_531241943554194_134930284_n.jpg

546765_531242060220849_2055606178_n.jpg

Denver

Reaction score
How does the taylor wings latch system work compared to a weather guard?

does that box mount flush to the back of the bed?

The box mounts flush with the top of the bed. I don't know what you mean by back of the bed?

Yeah I have a protech rack the same as yours and was thinking it'd be slick to do a box from them, but I want something that is gunna hold up on the next truck or two. The rack is already on its third truck.

I just can't convince myself that $800 on they're big in bed black chest box is worth it. Taylor wings box of similar spec is only $400 or so....

I bought my Taylor Wings used for $125. Highway Products and ProTechs go for around $200-$500 used but I have not seen a used black one. I did pay $900 for a new Highway Products shortbed bed box and it was hard to hand over the money but after getting it it's worth it plus its the last box I'll ever have to buy.

GreenMachine

Reaction score
The box mounts flush with the top of the bed. I don't know what you mean by back of the bed?

I bought my Taylor Wings used for $125. Highway Products and ProTechs go for around $200-$500 used but I have not seen a used black one. I did pay $900 for a new Highway Products shortbed bed box and it was hard to hand over the money but after getting it it's worth it plus its the last box I'll ever have to buy.

Not many used chest boxes like that around here, just saddle style. And I've been there done that, kinda sick of the contractor look.

By back of the bed I meant can you mount the box tight up against the cab? I know the Weather guard is boxed in so it can be mounted flush to the wall and still open up.

Denver

Reaction score
Not many used chest boxes like that around here, just saddle style. And I've been there done that, kinda sick of the contractor look.

By back of the bed I meant can you mount the box tight up against the cab? I know the Weather guard is boxed in so it can be mounted flush to the wall and still open up.

Its the same.

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
I have a rawson koenig box that was put on my truck when new in 1992 by the original owner.....Minus the aluminum losing a little bit of luster, this thing is still better than any delta, weatherguard, TSC, etc that I have ever seen.

This is the model that looks most like what I have

I have two weatherguard boxes on my 12 duramax that are that old. Still shiny, still.weathertight, and only on their second.set of locks. Hows your non shiny, functioning box better than a shiny, functioning one of the same era?

Im not doubting your claim but if my boxes here in the rustbelt that have been on six trucks are still in excellent.shape compared to functioning ones that have gone to looking like.hell how.are they.better?

pennsylvaniaboy

Reaction score
I have two weatherguard boxes on my 12 duramax that are that old. Still shiny, still.weathertight, and only on their second.set of locks. Hows your non shiny, functioning box better than a shiny, functioning one of the same era?

Im not doubting your claim but if my boxes here in the rustbelt that have been on six trucks are still in excellent.shape compared to functioning ones that have gone to looking like.hell how.are they.better?

I cant say why mine isnt as shiny as it was new. I am just speaking from my experience. Mines has original locks as well, still weather tight.

6point0damn2004

Reaction score
What kind how much how old

Ill have to get back to you on exact model number, but its low profile and not as deep as the big ole weatherguard boxes are. Nice condition, no issues in operation and it still looks killer. Also have both keys that came with it, never drilled and holes in it tobmount anything. Has the tool tray and level mount. Has stickers on the underside of the lid but they dont hurt anything.if i can get an alumiknox ill be willing to part with it. Not sure on price i paid $649 new so maybe 300-350?

Attachments

• 2012-12-24_14-19-33_836.jpg
    2012-12-24_14-19-33_836.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 65
Last edited:

6point0damn2004

Reaction score
Woot! Have a buddy lined up to buy my weatherguard, gotta call alumiknox tomorrow and see what they say as far as a time frame for getting one

Dont get me wrong, the weatherguard is an outstanding box. But that tray in the aluminox has me sold

Last edited:

6point0damn2004

Reaction score
I did not know of them beforehand. But after you posted it. That tray sold me. Guns, tools, etc. I called earlier no answer so ill prolly just try again tomorrrow. Id like to see if i can lock in the price on their website

Latest posts

Members online