Totaled truck.... I want my motor and trans

Rodslinger

Reaction score
The key to not getting dickked by the insurance company is to have your extras covered. Go over your policy with an agent and get your custom stuff written into the policy. It doesn't cost that much more to have all your goodies covered.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
I totaled my mustang out and I just pulled all aftermarket stuff off and let them have it. When my Excursion caught fire snd they wouldn't cover any aftermarket parts I said after that anytime that happened again, I'm pulling the **** they wont cover off. I don't care if its an engine and trans. If they don't want to cover it, its not theirs to keep when the life of the vehicle is over. Did I mention I hate insurance companies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

morepower02

Reaction score
How to you claim after the fact that a part of the vehicle is yours and not property of your insurance company. So it's sitting in a lot totaled and they let you come down and start pulling parts? Just curious how this works.

morepower02

Reaction score
Jim if your paying them a premium on a running vehicle why would you get to keep the drivetrain.

JMart

Reaction score
How to you claim after the fact that a part of the vehicle is yours and not property of your insurance company. So it's sitting in a lot totaled and they let you come down and start pulling parts? Just curious how this works.

Rule #1. Always get it towed home. If not from the accident then before the insurance company can come look at it.

morepower02

Reaction score
Wasn't sure that was an option. All of mine have been towed straight to a body shop lot.

JMart

Reaction score
When I was a locksmith we had a lot of crashes with our work vans in the DFW area (40+ vans). We were always able to get the vans towed to one of our shops. My best friend hit a light pole head on and had his 300GT towed straight to the mechanic that had just put the engine in it 2 weeks before. The engine was trashed but at least his insurance company gave him some extra cash since he had a receipt for the new engine.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
I'm not saying I have any right to take the stuff. But insurance companies are not all that straight forward either. I wouldn't take things off just to resell it and screw them. But I would most definitely take what I paid for on top of the original purchase of the vehicle. Then I would hash it out later. Better to ask forgiveness than permission.

neverkickn

Reaction score
I'm not saying I have any right to take the stuff. But insurance companies are not all that straight forward either. I wouldn't take things off just to resell it and screw them. But I would most definitely take what I paid for on top of the original purchase of the vehicle. Then I would hash it out later. Better to ask forgiveness than permission.

Is this a philosophy that you operate your business by, or do you only apply it to your personal life?

jimdawg185

Reaction score
I will always break the rules for my customers. If I'm not causing trouble then I'm not working hard enough for them. The items that insurance companies do not cover are not theirs to keep when a vehicle is totaled. And if they think differently then they can hash it out with my lawyer. I've been screwed by two insurance companies when it comes to aftermarket parts. Never again.

JMart

Reaction score
I have seen a lot of guys that weren't covered for aftermarket stuff wreck their trucks and the insurance companies said if they had stock parts to swap for their aftermarket stuff they could get their stuff back. They were only covering the vehicle for the stock worth.

But like I said before, it depends on which insurance company is paying for it. But if the insurance doesn't know the parts are there and they aren't going to pay you for it anyway, why leave it on the truck.

Latest posts

Members online