towing upgrades

Outlaw Bill

Reaction score
Boost leaks can be hard to find. I worked on one truck that had a ripped Y manifold boot right at the clamp, you could not see it. I only found after taking apart EVERY connection and inspecting it. Pre turbo exhaust leaks can cause major issues also. You should see 21-24 psi with a small 60-70hp program.

powerlifter405

Reaction score
Infrnl - my boost and EGT have Not recently gone down lately. The truck has run the same since I bought it.

While I was trying to check for a leak the wastegate actuator kept running nonstop. I never saw any boost show on my edge unit. Not sure what autoenginuity is.

I don't have a SCT I only have a edge insight CS for gauges

powerlifter - I agree. I didn't realize my boost was low and my egts are too high. This is my first 7.3 and wasn't sure what they should be. I'm in the process of
1. trying to find any leaks and order new IC hoses if needed.
2. I found oil leaks at dipstick housing, ebpv pedestal, and somewhere up top near intakes. So I need to run down leaks and fix them
3. I plan on ordering Dorman up-pipes and hydra tomorrow.

If all is well after that I will probably order a 38R

siliconintakes has A LOT of silicon hoses, adapters, etc. I picked up several, t-clamps and then made my own. It worked great to track down an exhaust leak on my 6.4, that the dealer of course couldn't find at first...
Every "Intake Leak Pressure Tester" utilizes a 2.5" tester cap and a reducer to fit your turbo inlet size, so if you need to pressure test multiple turbos with different inlet sizes, you can just buy additional reducers.
I didn't like the valve stem as the system is so large it bled off before I could find the leak. I used a 2" PVC cap IIRC w/ a hose fitting, turned my regulator down to 25lbs and put the hose directly on. It keep just enough pressure for me to use soapy water and I tracked down 3 different leaks the dealer missed. Just an idea if you have a leak.

On the oil leaks.... Even in the day light, get up into the motor and use a flash light. My valley was filled w/ oil and it was all coming from the HPOP orings.

On the 38R I saw one for sale used for $1100 but NEW for about $1300 I'd go new. PLUS w/ the 4th of July coming I'm guessing guys like Rudys, Swamps, MPD, etc.. will have a sale and you could pick one up and save more $ that way.

Good luck!

TyCorr

Reaction score
siliconintakes has A LOT of silicon hoses, adapters, etc. I picked up several, t-clamps and then made my own. It worked great to track down an exhaust leak on my 6.4, that the dealer of course couldn't find at first...
Every "Intake Leak Pressure Tester" utilizes a 2.5" tester cap and a reducer to fit your turbo inlet size, so if you need to pressure test multiple turbos with different inlet sizes, you can just buy additional reducers.
I didn't like the valve stem as the system is so large it bled off before I could find the leak. I used a 2" PVC cap IIRC w/ a hose fitting, turned my regulator down to 25lbs and put the hose directly on. It keep just enough pressure for me to use soapy water and I tracked down 3 different leaks the dealer missed. Just an idea if you have a leak.

On the oil leaks.... Even in the day light, get up into the motor and use a flash light. My valley was filled w/ oil and it was all coming from the HPOP orings.

On the 38R I saw one for sale used for $1100 but NEW for about $1300 I'd go new. PLUS w/ the 4th of July coming I'm guessing guys like Rudys, Swamps, MPD, etc.. will have a sale and you could pick one up and save more $ that way.

Good luck!

Ive never seen 1300 on one. Cheapest Ive ever seen was 1350 shipped and
there were only six chargers available. Four day sale. Usually 1400+ the ride is good.

INFRNL

Reaction score

Good luck!

Siliconeintakes is local to me.
I have bought a couple of boots and clamps from them. If I knew they were local when I started, I would have gotten more from them.
Their products seem like they're good quality. Time will tell

powerlifter405

Reaction score
Ive never seen 1300 on one. Cheapest Ive ever seen was 1350 shipped and
there were only six chargers available. Four day sale. Usually 1400+ the ride is good.

I paid just @ 1300 shipped. found one at a class 8/med duty shop. Got it in 3 days of order :)

powerlifter405

Reaction score
Siliconeintakes is local to me.
I have bought a couple of boots and clamps from them. If I knew they were local when I started, I would have gotten more from them.
Their products seem like they're good quality. Time will tell

Sweet, its great to have local stuff to run down and check stuff out, just to window shop is fun.
I hear that silicon degrades in our apps due to the blow-by oil but at the price they'd be easy enough to replace every few years if need be. Plus they say they are a 9 ply, 200lb burst and 50lb steady pressure.

INFRNL

Reaction score
Sweet, its great to have local stuff to run down and check stuff out, just to window shop is fun.
I hear that silicon degrades in our apps due to the blow-by oil but at the price they'd be easy enough to replace every few years if need be. Plus they say they are a 9 ply, 200lb burst and 50lb steady pressure.

Yeah nice to have a local place gowever its items I wont need much, lol.
Its also just a warehouse, however you can go in and get stuff. I had to look at their site first.

Have we even heard back from the op, whats the current status.

alradco

Reaction score
To me it seems there's something wrong with the truck whether boost leak, clogged intercooler, or any number of other things that could be wrong.

Just as a reference I pull a Raptor 3612 Toyhauler which is 38'. Truck is lifted, on 37's with a tuner and some light mods. I'd look to fix the problem rather than just buying random new parts at it.

Attachments

• trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 64

Jason

Reaction score
I know you had cauht flack over it awhile back..but that's a slick looking setup...despite how top heavy it looks...how tall is it to the roof again?

I agree on the checking everything before throwing parts at it. My stock turbo made 28-30 in Matt's tow tune, and 30+ in my hot tune. And towing 20k lbs in his tow tune, it was stupid easy to stay under 1200°

TyCorr

Reaction score
I know you had cauht flack over it awhile back..but that's a slick looking setup...despite how top heavy it looks...how tall is it to the roof again?

I agree on the checking everything before throwing parts at it. My stock turbo made 28-30 in Matt's tow tune, and 30+ in my hot tune. And towing 20k lbs in his tow tune, it was stupid easy to stay under 1200°

That toyhauler dwarfs that truck. That is not.a.small truck at any rate. Ive towed a ton of crapwith the same suspension and tires with simply a single 100hp tune. A guy could.get into deep doo doo pulling something heavy with 450+hp. Especially in a torquey motor like a.7.3.

People with stock equipment think.stock isnt enough but 90% of.the.time they arent getting max efficiency from the stock setup. Boost leaks, worn turbo, stock exhaust, etc.
The stg 2's towed awesome with the 38r but you dont need to.burn the.tires while.towing, lol.

alradco

Reaction score

The trailer is about 13'10" so it's just a few inches under legal limit. It tows great. Just have to really watch for branches and be selective what gas station you pull in to. Towed over the Techachapies a few times as well as other areas. Never been in a position where I even started to feel uncomfortable, even when off road on hills or sand dunes.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
That toyhauler dwarfs that truck. That is not.a.small truck at any rate. Ive towed a ton of crapwith the same suspension and tires with simply a single 100hp tune. A guy could.get into deep doo doo pulling something heavy with 450+hp. Especially in a torquey motor like a.7.3.

but you dont need to.burn the.tires while.towing, lol.

whats this deep doodoo you speak of? and the last part of your post... why not?

live life full throttle

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
i was just being a smartass cuz ive towed 12-18k with 450+hp and i have 0 issues from towing... the way i drive, on the other hand, brings out the issues...

live life full throttle

Hansel

Reaction score
My thing is have you gotten your Hydra chip?? I haven't read all 6 pages of this thread, so I know with my truck it woke it right up. I can't believe how detuned Ford makes these trucks, I've had too learn how to drive my truck all over again, the throttle is so responsive. This was my lost cost way of adding power for pulling my Keystone camper, I can't afford all the things your looking at changing.

Reaction score
The trailer is about 13'10" so it's just a few inches under legal limit. It tows great. Just have to really watch for branches and be selective what gas station you pull in to. Towed over the Techachapies a few times as well as other areas. Never been in a position where I even started to feel uncomfortable, even when off road on hills or sand dunes.

i drive truck and out here on the east coast the legal limit for hight is 13.6... if your 13.10 then dont take the toll road in MA..alot of there over passes are 13.9....

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
i was just being a smartass cuz ive towed 12-18k with 450+hp and i have 0 issues from towing... the way i drive, on the other hand, brings out the issues...

live life full throttle

The first part was what I said also. The second part was what I meant. If ole jacky boy is working for you and tows something with your truck he could.easily discover the weak point in your braking system. Or what jacknife is.

Thats not really heavy anyway...

Last edited:

alradco

Reaction score
i drive truck and out here on the east coast the legal limit for hight is 13.6... if your 13.10 then dont take the toll road in MA..alot of there over passes are 13.9....

It's 14' CA and NV which is about the only places we would go.

I should also mention I have DP tuner with 4 tunes. The truck tows great on "1" which is the stock tune and "2" the tow tune. Both do well, obviously 2 has a bit more power, and controls the trans a bit differently. Still on stock intercooler which will be upgrading in about a month.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
The first part was what I said also. The second part was what I meant. If ole jacky boy is working for you and tows something with your truck he could.easily discover the weak point in your braking system. Or what jacknife is.

Thats not really heavy anyway...

how bout on a 2800 mile cross country trip non stop?

live life full throttle

Members online

No members online now.