Towing with 22X12s

Jonnydime

Reaction score
So ford put all this time into figuring out gcwr and gvwr just to throw it out the window? Sure the pickup will pull anything you can put behind it but just because you can doesn't mean you should. The tires the op wants to use will only allow him 5670lbs on the rear axle. My truck with my empty gn puts 5500lbs on the rear axle so that doesn't leave him any room for anything in that trailer. If he ever got into an accident the law would throw the book at him and even if he got rear ended while stopped it would be his fault because he should not have been on the road in the first place since he is overloaded by ford and toyo's ratings.

04cr450

Reaction score
Agreed^^^ you guys towing that mu h weight with a srw are crazy.... I have been in holy chit situations and they are toy trucks trying to stop .. meaning doesn't work and isn't safe... I'll put my 450 up with a 250 and 350 and it'll make the 250 and 350 look like a ranger trying to hold the weight and stop it... remember it's not about pulling the weight- it's controlling it and stopping it period. I don't know everything about this stuff but I have towed alot of weight maxing our 450 out daily.

Last edited:

04cr450

Reaction score
So ford put all this time into figuring out gcwr and gvwr just to throw it out the window? Sure the pickup will pull anything you can put behind it but just because you can doesn't mean you should. The tires the op wants to use will only allow him 5670lbs on the rear axle. My truck with my empty gn puts 5500lbs on the rear axle so that doesn't leave him any room for anything in that trailer. If he ever got into an accident the law would throw the book at him and even if he got rear ended while stopped it would be his fault because he should not have been on the road in the first place since he is overloaded by ford and toyo's ratings.

I have been saying this from the beginning and everyone is just looking over it.....

TyCorr

Reaction score
Ive never had any trouble stopping with any pickup. Some older chevys the trailer would try to push the frontend.

I use my trailer brakes, spend time setting them up, and thusly it stops fine.

Ive been over before and other than weighing it, i couldnt tell the difference.

Ive also heard from a pretty good source, the trucks are engineered something like 3times the weight. I get the legality end but Im just saying ive been asked to tow some light loads that were horrid because nothing was setup correctly.

Brown Diablo

Reaction score
Ford gives different truck different GVW weights for registration purposes and licensing. But there are differences in some of the trucks like 350srw has an overload spring on top of the pack camper special has stiffer front coils to to help distribute the weight when rowing and breaking drw an 450 have even more different things haul more weigh.
The bottom line is can you pull it. Well yes but should you? I'd prefer to not see it. There's always the what if... An people will always take those chances but just remember it's not your just your life it's everyone on the road way while your driving an yes 99% of the time it will be fine but what if that 1% happens a a child or family member gets critically injured or worst is that something your willing to live with knowing yes I could have not been so ignorant an got the right weight for the load. An yes could still happen if you did have the right truck but then you had done everything right. Ignorant is bliss tho

Latest posts

Members online