Towing with 22X12s

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
dot wont stop him because its an rv and they don't have to go through the scales, the only way they would know he is overloaded is if gets pulled into the scales so really he can haul as much as he wants because he wouldn't ever get stopped

04cr450

Reaction score
I'm saying if he gets into an accident is when they will get involved. Like I said been their done that lol I was legal weight towing but when the accident happened they went over my vehicle and trailer with a fine tooth comb. Was not as fault either

15Platinum67

Reaction score
Ok guys I got the exact specs from the dealer the dry weight of the trailer is 15000 and loaded weight is 18000 and hitch weight is 3600.

15Platinum67

Reaction score
Jcain I think your talking about bumper pull payload there's a different payload capacity for gooseneck/5th wheel for the fact that the weight is over the axles

Coolbeans

Reaction score
Jcain I think your talking about bumper pull payload there's a different payload capacity for gooseneck/5th wheel for the fact that the weight is over the axles

No he's right. Your gvwr is 9900lbs and your truck weighs 8400lbs. Therefore your payload (hitch weight) can only be 1500lbs or less. So you are 2100lbs over. Not even close

15Platinum67

Reaction score
GVWR is weight over rear axle if I'm correct and if the truck weighs 8400 not all that weight is over rear axle most of the truck weight is over the front

WHY NOT

Reaction score
Ok guys I got the exact specs from the dealer the dry weight of the trailer is 15000 and loaded weight is 18000 and hitch weight is 3600.

You have bags on the truck to keep it level. I wouldn't flinch to put 18K behind that truck. I know some of these guys are giving you a hard time but there is plenty of breaks on these trucks to stop that if need be. Drive sensible and all will be fine. I am plated to gross 32K with my truck and trailer and I have passed that up several times with my SRW truck.

Coolbeans

Reaction score
No gvwr means the total your truck can weigh with a load. So the weight of your truck (8400) plus your load (3600) is your gvwr. So again you are 2100 over your gvwr.

B.Warning

Reaction score
Thanks to ford engineers being retarded...11'-14' f350 dually and f450 dually have the same brakes so that argument is invalid. The moron that says you can only have 1500lbs of pin weight needs to quit spewing wrong information and educate yourself on weight transfer, and to the rest of you seat jockeys...just put a cork in it.

Op...you'll be fine with your original question on wheels. Check the load rating on your tires and make sure they're up to the weight required. Find a cat certified scale at a truck stop and it'll tell you how much weight is on the rear axle of your truck. Those campers are balanced out pretty well.

Coolbeans

Reaction score
Well ****... If a 250 can tow a fifth wheel with 3600lb pin weight, who needs a 350 or 450?! You could likely tow a 100ft yacht with your 450 provided the weight transfer is correct of coarse.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
There isn't much difference between a 250 and a 350 srw besides the door sticker either. If I towed heavy all of the time I could see wanting a DRW 350 or a 450. Other than that Boats really don't weigh all that much do they?

psduser1

Reaction score
Thanks to ford engineers being retarded...11'-14' f350 dually and f450 dually have the same brakes so that argument is invalid. The moron that says you can only have 1500lbs of pin weight needs to quit spewing wrong information and educate yourself on weight transfer, and to the rest of you seat jockeys...just put a cork in it.

Op...you'll be fine with your original question on wheels. Check the load rating on your tires and make sure they're up to the weight required. Find a cat certified scale at a truck stop and it'll tell you how much weight is on the rear axle of your truck. Those campers are balanced out pretty well.

Yup

jcain

Reaction score

I carry a class A with doubles, triples, tankers and hazmat. I've grossed well over 140,000lbs when crossing the scales, 21 axles total, 17 axles on the trailer that had triple hydraulic come-along systems. It was a mobile power substation. I've only had my cdl for 13 years so maybe I'm mistaken on gvwr, gcvwr, axle ratings and passenger vehicle payload ratings. But I don't think I am.
Sure, he's a private rig but that doesn't mean I won't let him know when he's GROSSLY over weight.

B.Warning

Reaction score
I carry a class A with doubles, triples, tankers and hazmat. I've grossed well over 140,000lbs when crossing the scales, 21 axles total, 17 axles on the trailer that had triple hydraulic come-along systems. It was a mobile power substation. I've only had my cdl for 13 years so maybe I'm mistaken on gvwr, gcvwr, axle ratings and passenger vehicle payload ratings. But I don't think I am.
Sure, he's a private rig but that doesn't mean I won't let him know when he's GROSSLY over weight.

Are you wanting me to kiss your azz with your loads of experience? Hate to tell ya but steering wheel holders don't impress me.

This convo is going nowhere, just like EVERY topic that gets brought up on towing.

jcain

Reaction score
Are you wanting me to kiss your azz with your loads of experience? Hate to tell ya but steering wheel holders don't impress me.

This convo is going nowhere, just like EVERY topic that gets brought up on towing.

You can kiss whatever you want. But encouraging a 9900gvwr vehicle owner to gross 12k is just as ignorant and irresponsible as the fellow doing it.

And I don't drive for a living, but you already know that from our phone conversation.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online