towing with bigger injectors

stroker57

Reaction score
Just wondering what's the biggest injectors you can tow with the most that will be towed is a truck on a gooseneck.

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
My friend doesn't have the largest injectors, 175/30, and he has a modded stock charger, 69mm comp and stock exhaust (not sure how that works), but he tows his fiver with his buggy in it that is close to 20k and he loves it.

Garrett

stroker57

Reaction score
I was thinking with the right turbo and tow tune it wouldn't be that bad. Probably only tow five times a year the rest of the it would just be dd. I want something different bc everyone around me is running 205

strokin6L

Reaction score
Yeah...225's with a stock turbo isn't gonna be very fun towing. Once you get to a certain size injector....they can only be turned down so much. For instance....you can't take a 225cc injector and turn the fuel down so that it'll fuel like a stock injector...or maybe even a 155cc injector. IMHO....if you're planning on towing that kinda weight(truck on a gooseneck)...which is probably roughly 12k-14k lbs depending on the weight of both...225's shouldn't be an injector of choice just because you wanna be different. Just doesn't make sense.

stroker57

Reaction score
Its not going to be stock has heads done and h11 in. As far as the turbo go im not sure but I want to go non vgt maybe a 368 or 371 just depens on whether or ill be able to tow with 225s all supporting mods will be done.

Reaction score
Its not going to be stock has heads done and h11 in. As far as the turbo go im not sure but I want to go non vgt maybe a 368 or 371 just depens on whether or ill be able to tow with 225s all supporting mods will be done.
66 or 68mm vgt, with good tuning will tow anything you want and be fast as hell.

Powerstroke214

Reaction score
225/100s and a 368 doesn't sound like a good idea to try pulling 14k, but I know nothing. I'd expect it to be VERY warm, especially if you have any mountains, and pretty smokey. There are some guys here who have pulled heavier loads with less than ideal setups, maybe they'll chime in.

Dave

Reaction score
225/100s and a 368 doesn't sound like a good idea to try pulling 14k, but I know nothing. I'd expect it to be VERY warm, especially if you have any mountains, and pretty smokey. There are some guys here who have pulled heavier loads with less than ideal setups, maybe they'll chime in.

Yeah thats definitely not a towing combo Philip.

I wouldnt tow anything heavy running larger than 190/100 with any single turbo

Cold Roller

Reaction score
With larger injectors and a larger VGT turbo I have found that most tow tunes and regular tunes are only acceptable. Depending on load, grades and elevation you can easily run 1100-1200* (or higher), even on the flats just cruising. With my 23' boat in tow, and narrow twisty roads with frequent grade and speed changes, I typically see 1000-1150* with some temps approaching 1300* cresting hills. Unhook the trailer and all will be normal. Now, if the turbo is adjusted to provide more boost, the temps will tend to drop 100-300*. There will always be a trade-off if you go larger than a stage 1-1.5 turbo. I saw a marked improvement in performance available with a stage 1 turbo. When I went to a stage 3 turbo, that is when the temps really climbed for the same type of driving while towing.

strokin6L

Reaction score
Still gonna get hot. Personally if you're gonna tow...I'd do a stage 2 vgt and like 190/30's.

Last edited:

04cr450

Reaction score
i have 175/75's and stage 3 with ported intake and other normal mods , there is no way i could tow unless i got a tow tune that really pulled fuel(which i dont have lol)

KCTurbos

Reaction score
There is a perfect storm brewing under the hood of all our trucks... and a lot of guys start to experience it... Once you start adding all the inefficiencies together then temps start to rise.

Big turbo + stock injectors = good temps
Small turbo + big nozzles = good temps
Big turbo + big nozzles = higher temps
big turbo + big nozzles + bigger tires = really high temps
big turbo + big nozzles + bigger tires + stock gears = super high temps
big turbo + big nozzles + bigger tires + stock gears + elevation = Undriveable temps

Add any small problem/leak or super high outside air temps and it will make any one of those combos have even higher temps

Once you start adding all those inefficiencies together then the temps will start to get out of control

I have lots of customer with big turbos and small nozzles that tow just fine (stock or 30% nozzles)... but those who get bigger turbo and bigger injectors start to struggle a little bit until they get the tuning down.

If you add a few more airflow mods to the mix it also really helps... I have guys with big turbo, big nozzles, and still have good temps... most of them have nice air intakes, ported intake manifolds, upgraded intercooler, upgrded up pipes, upgraded manifolds, etc... That will help counteract the higher temps.

Latest posts

Members online