Towing with my deleted 15

Mcgrath7

Reaction score
So this past week I towed a 34 ft enclosed steel gooseneck trailer with 4 mountain sleds and lots of gear from North iowa to Wyoming... Guessing 10-12,000 lbs
I am running Kem tuning and I am very happy with the truck and I am almost a little scared of how much power the truck has just on the tow tune

*I would like to hear what other guys with deleted 15s While towing what you thought and saw...

I was running 75-85 with the cruise on... On my edge insight I was watching coolant temp....engine load....and boost
(Haven't got egt sensor in)
I would say the highest the engine load gauge got was 80% which if it would of hit 100% I'm sure the hitch would bend lol ( idk how acuratte that gauge is)

Everything worked great, the truck that I can remember with cruise on on never shifted down... Boost would run 5-20 lbs on flattish ground and 20-32lbs on hills

The concern for me is when I was driving with my foot and not the cruise if I pushed down on the peddle to climb a hill or pass a truck which I never put it to the floor the truck would shift down and I would see the boost get high at one point the edge said 42 lbs... It flashed that high and when I saw anything over 35 I would let off the throttle. (I am almost positive on the edge it shows anything over 35lbs in the red)?

I don't want to even come close to pushing anything, turbo rods whatever...
If the ruck was stock I can't remember the highest the boost would go but I thought 27-30 would be the high

I bought my stuff from Morgan and have mentioned this in a message to him and trust him, just wanted to hear from other guys that have done some long hauling/ towing?
I should of taken a video
Thanks guys

WHY NOT

Reaction score
Best thing is to get an EGT sensor and drive by that. I wouldn't worry about 42psi if the egts weren't out of line.

Reaction score
I've towed with mine, one time pulled a peterbilt 379 for 500 miles on my kem tuned 2015 250. I was well over suprised comparing to a sluggish 7.3 that would pull anything but this thing just outright pulls like a monster, I did see the oil temp gauge get to 225 degrees going up a 7degree grade at 65, at which the truck did down shift and boost peaked at around 40-42psi, trucks coolant never got above 210 and trans was no worry, the only think that sucked is that with my kem tuning I had no exhaust break, so breaking was a bitch at some points

Mr.BigOil

Reaction score
Why are you not monitoring EGTs? We already have the sensor.....actually 4 of them. Pick the right one. :D

jbair14

Reaction score
42 PSI seems way to high. I haven't towed more than 7k pounds with my deleted '15 but never saw much over 28-29 PSI. Definitely get block off plates and an EGT gauge though. You can't use the factory ones as Mr. Big Oil mentions as when you deleted the truck the probes were deleted as well.

dseitler

Reaction score
My truck lives at 48 lbs of boost and I can push it to 50 on a daily basis. If it's boost into your motor your worried about I got that covered. I can't speak for your Turbo though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mcgrath7

Reaction score
42 PSI seems way to high. I haven't towed more than 7k pounds with my deleted '15 but never saw much over 28-29 PSI. Definitely get block off plates and an EGT gauge though. You can't use the factory ones as Mr. Big Oil mentions as when you deleted the truck the probes were deleted as well.

Yeah my truck ran a lot right around that 28-29 psi to pull hills or slops, but for big climbs or to go out and pass a truck and you step down on it then the truck would drop from 6 th gear to 5 th and the boost would shoot up

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
mine made 600 lifted and I kicked the piss out of it. the bp was never an issue and my motor was purring when I yanked it. don't sweat the motor unless you plan on running very high back pressure, or more than 700 worth of boost and fuel.

Mcgrath7

Reaction score
I've towed with mine, one time pulled a peterbilt 379 for 500 miles on my kem tuned 2015 250. I was well over suprised comparing to a sluggish 7.3 that would pull anything but this thing just outright pulls like a monster, I did see the oil temp gauge get to 225 degrees going up a 7degree grade at 65, at which the truck did down shift and boost peaked at around 40-42psi, trucks coolant never got above 210 and trans was no worry, the only think that sucked is that with my kem tuning I had no exhaust break, so breaking was a bitch at some points

So just a quick update...
So when I got my tuner and deleted my truck it worked great for the first week with no issues but I did no towing, then magically one day it decided that I could not have any power until the truck was warm... So I sent it back to get the update no biggy but I didn't have it on the first trip hauling and the truck ran how I explained first on this post
Now I loaded up the update, and drove in this trip with more weight, longer haul, and more hills and abuse. The truck ran perfect and completely different than before... I never hit more than 32 lbs of boost and it felt way better.
Rolled a small about of black smoke this time when she shifted down but, I kinda like that part
Just thought I would pass it along

359 Pete

Reaction score
I have a 2015 f250 with Innovative tuning. I thought it was interesting to see in the previous post on how strong the truck pulls a heavy load. Pulling the grapevine...the truck wanted to shift into fifth but I knocked it down into 4th going about 60 mph pulling 15,000 lbs. the surprising thing is that I had a lot of pedal left. I was passing 18 wheels like they were on blocks! This is my experience. On a side note my turbo pedistol has a oil leak. I thought maybe it was caused from the heavy pulling. Mechanic said the oil leak is not related to the tuning. Coming from a 2011 Dodge diesel I would have to say the exhaust brake function is way better on the Dodge. I can not even tell if the exhaust brake on the Ford functions.

359 Pete

Reaction score
In the future for the 2015 ford diesel. What is the likely hood of tuning to make the exhaust brake function more aggressively?

MikeH

Reaction score
Subscribed, interested in more towing deleted in the '15. Getting ready for some long hauls here soon carrying the fifth wheel to FL and CA from OH.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.