Towing with my deleted 15

Mcgrath7

Reaction score
I have a 2015 f250 with Innovative tuning. I thought it was interesting to see in the previous post on how strong the truck pulls a heavy load. Pulling the grapevine...the truck wanted to shift into fifth but I knocked it down into 4th going about 60 mph pulling 15,000 lbs. the surprising thing is that I had a lot of pedal left. I was passing 18 wheels like they were on blocks! This is my experience. On a side note my turbo pedistol has a oil leak. I thought maybe it was caused from the heavy pulling. Mechanic said the oil leak is not related to the tuning. Coming from a 2011 Dodge diesel I would have to say the exhaust brake function is way better on the Dodge. I can not even tell if the exhaust brake on the Ford functions.

With my cuisine set at 80, my truck never down shifts, stay in 6th gear and pulls anything, but when I drive it with my foot and push down on the throttle then she will kick down to 5 th when I go to pass or climb some serious grades.
I don't have my egt gauge in so I don't know what that's running but the guy I bought my delete stuff from said he can barley get his truck to hit 1300 degrees but has a bigger turbo

Swsignal5

Reaction score
I was running 63 psi all day. I never had a head problem or valve float. I did have 2 bent rods when I pulled it apart but I pulled a mini ex on my gooseneck weighing 26k. I did a wot pull from a red light to see how she pulled. Lol. That's probably what did that.

PSD-BLACK-CLOUD

Reaction score
I was running 63 psi all day. I never had a head problem or valve float. I did have 2 bent rods when I pulled it apart but I pulled a mini ex on my gooseneck weighing 26k. I did a wot pull from a red light to see how she pulled. Lol. That's probably what did that.

Lol you drive like me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gearhead

Reaction score
I would say anything over 35 psi of boost would have some ridiculous drive pressure knowing how small that turbine is....

Mcgrath7

Reaction score
yes.... you would be shocked at drive pressure if you are running that much boost.

Well I cant Explain what happened besides that there must have been an update in the tuning between my 2 trips, because the highest I saw was 32 psi this trip, so I'm glad something changed cause 42 seemed high,

It's crazy everyone has different opinions or knowledge, cause when I first said I hit 42 psi a couple post said I wouldn't worry about the boost but EGTs lol I definitely don't want to hurt my engine, I want longevity that's why I deleted

What's the difference in drive pressure vs boost?

knaffie

Reaction score
I can not even tell if the exhaust brake on the Ford functions.

Then something is very wrong with your truck. I just got back from a 4300 mile road trip towing my 10,000-ish # trailer. I saw as much as 24 PSI of brake "boost" and drove 8% grades with 10,000# behind me and rarely had to use the wheel brakes. If it's not braking enough, downshift, it will get significantly stronger.

In the future for the 2015 ford diesel. What is the likely hood of tuning to make the exhaust brake function more aggressively?

I really can't see the need for it, unless people towing more weight than I do are saying it's not enough.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Then something is very wrong with your truck. I just got back from a 4300 mile road trip towing my 10,000-ish # trailer. I saw as much as 24 PSI of brake "boost" and drove 8% grades with 10,000# behind me and rarely had to use the wheel brakes. If it's not braking enough, downshift, it will get significantly stronger.

I really can't see the need for it, unless people towing more weight than I do are saying it's not enough.

Ive used them on all three brands....the dodge one is so simplified you dont have to change gears or tap the brakes much. But the rest of the truck :doh:

Chevy is great IIIIF you aren't in sixth gear doing 60mph. Then the engine seems to have hardly any compression braking. Grab 5th and it all changes for the better. The ford seemed similar but seemed more dependant on driver input. Predicated upon brake input and selecting a lower gear, the ford works just as well. I prefer it wanting to be nudged a bit as my dmax like send pistons through the hood it seems everytime you are on a road that sees speed but stopping. High speed stop and go if you will.

knaffie

Reaction score
Ive used them on all three brands.

The ford seemed similar but seemed more dependant on driver input. Predicated upon brake input and selecting a lower gear, the ford works just as well.

That's a lot different than your original statement.

I can not even tell if the exhaust brake on the Ford functions.

I respect your opinion of how each system works, and simply wanted to point out to you that if you really "can not even tell if the exhaust brake on the Ford functions" that something is very wrong.

Mcgrath7

Reaction score

So where was your boost running while pulling hills? im more concerned about the rods....I would like to know when someone says drive pressure and boost what's the difference

I would think at 32 ish psi and less a guy should be fine

knaffie

Reaction score
So where was your boost running while pulling hills? im more concerned about the rods....I would like to know when someone says drive pressure and boost what's the difference

I would think at 32 ish psi and less a guy should be fine

Pulling hills, usually 18-22 in 5th or 6th. A bit more in 4th, which rarely happened. I had one scary event where I had to slam on the brakes on a 8% grade and slow way down, then I hammered down and saw 28 PSI in 3rd - the most boost I've ever seen in this truck. It's 100% stock.

Mcgrath7

Reaction score
359 Pete, I am running KEM and sent it back for the cold weather update so I had power, I was hitting was high boost levels before the update now it's way better...

I also feel that there are guys running way more HP through there stock rods and motor with bigger turbos and duel fuelers, I feel like people tuning the 6.7 have figured out what's safe and I feel like I don't see much on these forums for bent rods besides the guys really pushing the limit

Mcgrath7

Reaction score
Pulling hills, usually 18-22 in 5th or 6th. A bit more in 4th, which rarely happened. I had one scary event where I had to slam on the brakes on a 8% grade and slow way down, then I hammered down and saw 28 PSI in 3rd - the most boost I've ever seen in this truck. It's 100% stock.

Yeah there is a difference between stock and a 40-50 hp tow tune

Reaction score
I would say anything over 35 psi of boost would have some ridiculous drive pressure knowing how small that turbine is....

A- Greed. Bomb waiting to go off.

Finally someone said it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm..... Anyone commenting on this actually own a 15? Or have first hand experience with the actual boost/ebp ratio? Sorry to sound like a dick but I'm f*cking tired of this "2015 turbine" crap.

Back pressure with the CORRECT vane position tables is way better than a 6.4. And on top of that it's completely safe if done right.

Dustin made 559hp at 30/45 psi to ebp. That's 1.5:1 ratio

I pushed 40 psi with that same turbo and ebp never went over 60 when tuned correctly that's 1.5:1 ratio.

On tow tunes we are seeing even closer to 1:1

I'm running dual pumps and only have a slightly larger turbine (7mm over stock) in the same stock 2015 housing with a much larger compressor to boot, still 40 psi @ 51 ebp that's 1.275:1 ratio.... Last I checked some of the smaller non vgt's had worse ratios than that.

If anyone needs proof on those numbers, I have plenty of that to back up my statements.

Please, can we move on from the vgt/small turbine crap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.