Toyo MT's Vs. ATZ's Vs. ?

washingtoncoastie

Reaction score
I can tell you from experience that the toyo mt SUCKS in snow/ice. I have drove in snow my entire life and they are by far the worst tire I've ever had in the snow. In fact the other dAy I had to put her in four hi just go get up my driveway with frost on the ground.

dirtboy25

Reaction score
Get tires yet?

My vote goes for the ATZ's... I ran them for about 50k miles and they still looked great when I sold the truck.

Snow performance was GREAT... We had one of the worst winters I can remember last year where I'm at and I did a lot of driving out in BFE where the roads couldn't be cleared. Christmas day I had to carve paths down my grandmothers road so everyone could get there.

The only thing that will slow you down in the snow is the 4ft. drifts you cant see. LOL

Rain performance kinda sucked though, in 2wd anyways. I couldn't move the truck on wet asphalt without loosing traction but, once you get moving they hug the road pretty dam good.

I would love to have ATZ's on the 20's I'm about to get but once you go that big the price gets outrageous. I'll probably put a set on the stock wheels for winter use and put a cheaper highway friendly tire on the new wheels.

Last edited:

jdc753

Reaction score
I actually was pleasantly surprised with my toyo MT's in the snow. They didn't feel to be all that much worse in the snow and we had a lot of it last year. I've got a bit over 30k on mine now and by guessing I should end up with over 50k on them before I get a new set, this is with very little rotation. I would love to try out some ATZ's but all depends on the price.

David S.

Reaction score
The ATZ's will be worth it for me when I get new tires this winter

squeak12

Reaction score
I had 37x13.50x20 Toyo M/T's. I only had it in the mud once and I didn't care much for them. I'm not saying that I'm a good mud driver, but they definitely should do better for a mud terrain. They weren't great in the rain either,granted, they were 13.50's. I'm looking at possibly doing ATZ's for my next tire as well. I can get Kumho A/T's for ~$700 and ATZ's are going to be ~$1000. 285/75/16

squeak12

Reaction score
I had 37x13.50x17 Toyo's on my truck for a while with 4" of lift. They weren't great in the mud. I'm not saying that I'm a great mud driver, but they should be better if they are listed at a mud terrain. They weren't great in the rain, but they were 13.50's. My 35x12.50x20 Mud Grapplers on my old 1/2 ton with were worse in the rain, but they are expected to be terrible. Now I have a pair of worn slap out 35x12.50x16 Mud Grapplers. I bought them used with 20% tread. I'm thinking ATZ (285/75/16) for my next set. I'm not sure, though. ATZ's are going to be $1000, and I can get Kumho A/T's for ~$700. Hell, I might do 35's. What ever will look best with my truck leveled out.

DSC00492.png

SNC00123.png

06-30-07_1813.png

SNC00368.png

TyCorr

Reaction score
Looking online Ive found price to descend from the procomp extreme a/t which in a 35x13.5/20 was 519ish per tire. THe Mickey THompson is around $400..

Id run a 36x14.5 on a 20x12 if I could find one...

TyCorr

Reaction score
Tires have been ordered. 285 a piece for 4 315/75/16 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ's with no taxes or shipping charges. can't wait to get them!

Ive always been pleased with MT's. Im running a set of Baja Claws right now in the 37x13.5 and they have twenty thousand on them and are still carrying ALOT of tread! They are kinda noisy but not like a mud grappler or bogger.

Powerstroke586

Reaction score
i know you already ordered but i love my mud grapplers, only bad thing is they suck on ice and not that great in rain. But the deeper the snow the better they get.

TyCorr

Reaction score
mud grapplers are not practical for as much highway driving as i do.

THere are other tires that perform as well as the mud grappler does at its best and actually perform in the other areas better, imo.

A super swamper radial is a better tire. My baja claws. The procomp extreme terrain. Those helicopter simulator tires are hideous just for the noise they make.

Only way Id own those again is if they were on someting that NEVER hit pavement.

TheSmokinStroke2002

Reaction score
THere are other tires that perform as well as the mud grappler does at its best and actually perform in the other areas better, imo.

A super swamper radial is a better tire. My baja claws. The procomp extreme terrain. Those helicopter simulator tires are hideous just for the noise they make.

Only way Id own those again is if they were on someting that NEVER hit pavement.

i think the mud grappler is the best looking tire on the market. but they wear down very fast on the highway. my buddy hasn't even had his set a year and they are just about gone.

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score

Not all super swamper radials, I wore a set out in less than a year (under 7500 miles) that was with no burnouts on a ford explorer.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.