Toyo MT's wearing FAST!

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
These things definitely don't like my driving style. LOL
I don't drag race from every light but I've always had a heavy foot...and in 4000 miles the rear tires measure 3/16" less tread than the fronts....which obviously look brand new.
Tire cost is gonna kill me on this truck. LOL

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I have noticed with toyos they Sean to initially wear in that range and then seem to maintain that tread depth for a long time. Pretty much everyone I know that's had Toyo mts makes it to 40k miles even with a couple burnouts during that time

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Off topic. But did they stop making the standard atz's? Cant find them anywhere.

That's correct. They no longer make the original ATZ. it's now a ATZ P3. A hybrid between a mud and all terrain. Without the noise of a toyo MT. I still wish I could get the old style. I miss them. They were quiet. But these are not bad at all. They do have alittle noise though.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
its seems that any of the new tires aren't lasting like they used to.. i love the duratrac tread pattern and how well they perform in ALL conditions combined but they arent lasting like i hoped and was told they would...

basically im just posting to keep an eye out for the next set of tires cuz i have always heard good about the toyos..

live life full throttle

Last edited:

TheBigNasty

Reaction score
I have noticed with toyos they Sean to initially wear in that range and then seem to maintain that tread depth for a long time. Pretty much everyone I know that's had Toyo mts makes it to 40k miles even with a couple burnouts during that time

This.

I think I'll be trying out the at2's next time though.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
I'm not saying anything negative about the tires at all....I'm just saying they're gonna lose the battle with my right foot. Every vehicle I've ever owned went through 2 back tires to every 1 front tire.

01pwrstkr

Reaction score
Mickey Thompson baja atz p3 for the next round! Very good wear!!
I've never ran the Mickey Thompson atz, but I ran the mtz on my 01 when it had 4" lift. They were 315/75/16 and they were the worst tire I've ever owned. They started cupping really bad, made horrible noise, and started riding like chit. Tried different air pressures, rotating and nothing helped. And they were visually smaller than the Nitto Terra Grapplers and mud grapplers in the same size.

"3 can keep a secret if 2 are dead"

Charles

Reaction score
The toyo MT is junk compared to other options. I ran lots of them, before many of the other options existed. The Toyo MT is a squirmy pos when new, and only gets to hooking up and handling well the day you finally toss them in the trash because the tread is 110% hosed, which doesnt take long.

I literally was so fed up with them wiggling and spinning when new that I would leave the tire shop and go do about a 2 or 3 hundred footer a few times in a row just to speed along the process of them becoming usable after that sh*t called tread is gone on the top. Ever notice the top is a darker color? That's the exceptionally bad tread. Burning that off reveals the only somewhat sh*tty tread.

A mickey thompson ATZ SLT is twice as good. Seriously. Hook AWESOME and drive very well. Don't last too hot though.

Best MT is the Nitto Trail grappler. AWESOME tire. Hooks well, drives FANTASTIC, tows the same and lasts decent believe it or not.

If you don't need a mud terrain, the Nitto terra grappler is the standby for a reason. Last like crazy and drive exceptionally well.

Toyos are great for wearing out and wallowing all over the g'damn road until they worn the F out, when they actually start to drive nice....

So glad other stuff came along. Don't ever try to tow with them anywhere near new. You'll be worn out in a few hundred miles.

As for wearing the rears.... I adopted a burn the rears off, front to back, new on the front years ago. Tire rotation is for people with no power.

If you notice on a bright sunny day with the sun shining in the front of the truck, look back at the pavement after a decent takeoff that did NOT spin..... you'll see your tread pattern in the road behind you all the way....

On Edit: If this is Rich, then as far as recommendations go, I've got an amendment to make on one. I told you the HID bulbs in the 05 lamps was okay, just a bit of breakup but otherwise tons of light and good to go. Well, on my red truck that's true. However, on my gray truck I drive now with aftermarket 05 lamps the HID bulbs were a tragedy on the road. Light going everywhere EXCEPT in front of the vehicle. Plus TONS of artifacts all over enough to make you disoriented when turning as they all followed you out there in space in front of you. HORRIBLE optics..... So.... if that's what you experienced, then my bad. That sh*t wasn't the case for my OEM lamps in my red truck. In this truck I promptly flushed a set of FXR projectors into the back of the reflector with some 50 watt ballasts and OEM Phillips D2s bulbs.... perfect.... If you haven't done that yet, do it. Now that's clean light.

Anyway, sorry about that one. Apparently HID bulbs in reflectors has a WIDELY varying success rate. Didn't want you to throw my suggestions out because of an idiotic past recommendation.

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
One reason I went with the Toyos is a complete and total lack of choices in a 33x12.50x22
I do like the look even though I don't need an MT at all. None of the new AT's come in a size close to what I need.

psduser1

Reaction score
One reason I went with the Toyos is a complete and total lack of choices in a 33x12.50x22
I do like the look even though I don't need an MT at all. None of the new AT's come in a size close to what I need.

Sounds like Hoosier might treat you a little better..

Dzchey21

Reaction score
FWIW i will never run an ATZ again... loud, wear terrible and traction is not that great.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
I've never ran the Mickey Thompson atz, but I ran the mtz on my 01 when it had 4" lift. They were 315/75/16 and they were the worst tire I've ever owned. They started cupping really bad, made horrible noise, and started riding like chit. Tried different air pressures, rotating and nothing helped. And they were visually smaller than the Nitto Terra Grapplers and mud grapplers in the same size.

"3 can keep a secret if 2 are dead"

Really?? the MTZ is why I'm running another set of mickeys. I had the exact same size on my 150 and they were awesome. They were rotated every 5k miles and always had proper air pressure but I ran them for 70k miles and sold the truck with them on there. And the new owner got another 6@ out of them.

Sent from my I fone 5

Charles

Reaction score
FWIW i will never run an ATZ again... loud, wear terrible and traction is not that great.

There are many ATZ's. Or at least there were, they changed their lineup a while back. I haven't bought any in years now, maybe they've changed.

The old ATZ SLT 35 broke more trans parts than any other tire I've ever run. Like glue.

In contrast, the Toyo AT I ran for a week was like a steel wheel on the pavement. Would spin forever from a roll-on in 3rd with the converter locked... I took .50 on the dollar just to dump them. Toyo MT's were better, but generally just a gummy spin down the road as opposed to the full rev-limiter blow off of the AT's.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.