TPMS - Bands vs. Stem?

VanoFord

Reaction score
So I just put some OEM 20's on. They didnt have TPMS on them, and me and the tire guy assumed my truck didnt either since the stems were the same. Now I have the TPMS Fault coming on after 20mi of driving each time. I'm leaning towards my old set had a pair of the Band TPMS's. Its my understanding that these must stay on the rim, otherwise cutting them makes them inoperable.

My question I guess then if that last assumption was correct, can I just put some Stem TPMS in and be done, or do I have to order the Band style?

Also, I'm prolly gettin tires/lift in 2 months, so could I ride around w/ no TPMS until then? That way I dont have to unmount, remount/balance these tires. Thanks! first vehicle w/ TPMS so I'm new to all this.

96stacked&smoken

Reaction score
Yes that year should be band style. It wont hurt a thing to leave it that way except you will have a light. It just lets you know when your tires are low. You can buy bands and sensors and put them on yourself but there very pricey for the band style.

AllGo'N'Show

Reaction score
You can't put bands and tpms sensors in yourself... you need a tire machine to take the tire off the wheel to get the sensor inside the assembly so unless you have a machine that is not going to work, plus you WILL want to rebalance once you add the weight of the sensors.

Typically band and stem styles are not interchangeable, you need to order what is specific for your truck and by VIN at the dealer is best but there is others out there that can supply the same thing.

96stacked&smoken

Reaction score
I figured he knew he had to remove the tire sense there inside.LOL If he has tire tools you can break them down yourself just sucks. I would save the hundreds in parts and labor and just have a light myself.

Trav-O

Reaction score
Even with the sensors in, most people I know including myself don't run 70 plus psi in oversized tires. Sensor light will be on regardless.
If you plan on getting them and running 70 psi + in them, shoot me a PM and I can get you some. We carry them

VanoFord

Reaction score
You can't put bands and tpms sensors in yourself... you need a tire machine to take the tire off the wheel to get the sensor inside the assembly so unless you have a machine that is not going to work, plus you WILL want to rebalance once you add the weight of the sensors.

Typically band and stem styles are not interchangeable, you need to order what is specific for your truck and by VIN at the dealer is best but there is others out there that can supply the same thing.

When I said 'I was going to swap them' I meant 'I was going to pay someone' lol. I didn't mount these myself :lol:

I figured he knew he had to remove the tire sense there inside.LOL If he has tire tools you can break them down yourself just sucks. I would save the hundreds in parts and labor and just have a light myself.

Yea I think I'm gonna ride around w/ the light until my lift install next month or so.

Even with the sensors in, most people I know including myself don't run 70 plus psi in oversized tires. Sensor light will be on regardless.
If you plan on getting them and running 70 psi + in them, shoot me a PM and I can get you some. We carry them

I had put 75 into my old tires and never a light. But as I don't have them I'll be contacting you for a set in the next month or so. Thanks!

HD F250

Reaction score
Or you can get h&s programmer to turn of the tpms.

:whs: This is option I used so I can run my original stock wheels with Mud Terrains in winter and run my BMF's and All Terrains in summer. I was quoted $400 for bands and sensors for my spare set, so it was a no brainer.

Hammer Down

Reaction score
you can remove the band sensors and they sell new bands to install the sensors back into your new wheel. they are just a massive hose clamp pretty much but they are $25 a piece or so. the h&s tool i think is $100 plus no time or money for mount and dismount.

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
The factory stem sensors if I remember correctly are incompatible with the SJB that's used to pick up signals from the band style sensors.

tensixniner

Reaction score
The EZ Sensors are supposed to retrofit unlike the Ford ones.
I'll find out soon if it's true or not.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.