Traction Bars

curtis270

Reaction score
lol this thread got a little crazy. lets get back to the bars anyone look at the kit I posted from ebay? seems like a pretty decent build to me Ive already essentially copied the brackets to weld to the axle and frame. Anything else I should look at? and cost me about 20 bucks in material and some time.

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
Those Ebay bars will work....yea. Are they cheap.....yea. Do you want to use them...go ahead. Are you going to need to replace stuff over time....yea. Do you need to figure out the replacement parts now....yea.

ncollins64

Reaction score
Who buys an expensive truck and throws cheap ass parts at it?? No thanks. If I’m spending good money on a truck then I want the best, not the cheap stuff from eBay etc. I only use and sale PMF or OUO parts. Yes there is something about building your own stuff that makes you feel proud, but don’t cheap out on a nice truck. Just my .02

curtis270

Reaction score
Who buys an expensive truck and throws cheap ass parts at it?? No thanks. If I’m spending good money on a truck then I want the best, not the cheap stuff from eBay etc. I only use and sale PMF or OUO parts. Yes there is something about building your own stuff that makes you feel proud, but don’t cheap out on a nice truck. Just my .02

lol everyone Ive ever met. because you only use and SALE pmf ouo is cool but I dont sell them I work in maintenance and dont get them at cost but Im also not afraid to get my hands dirty and build things myself. why would I pay 500 or more for 2 two pieces of pipe and 4 brackets that bolt to my axle and frame.

curtis270

Reaction score
Same here.. they already have the geometry figured out so that is worth it to me!!!

live life full throttle

lol what geometry are you changing with traction bars on a factory height suspension truck? its not a rock crawler im not flexing it on loading docks there is maybe three inches of axle travel before the bump stops. the only thing traction bars are meant to do is keep the axle from twisting

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
lol what geometry are you changing with traction bars on a factory height suspension truck? its not a rock crawler im not flexing it on loading docks there is maybe three inches of axle travel before the bump stops. the only thing traction bars are meant to do is keep the axle from twisting
The wrong angle can make it bind when loaded or towing. Also makes kt very ruff to ride in.

live life full throttle

curtis270

Reaction score
Good luck explaining that. Dude obviously knows everything there is to know about it. He said he is not afraid to get his hands dirty.

lol that was a good one. I never claimed to know everything and im not afraid to get my hands dirty lol. the wrong preload on the bars is what makes it rough and bind thats why OUO and PMF and Caltrac all mount in different spots.

EPA

Reaction score
Not going to say much since I'm banished and dont want to be beheaded haha... But as a rule of thumb you dont want the bars to go past your driveline angle, longer bars are better (will produce finer axle adjustment during travel)... There is a bit of calculation when building well functioning bars... But its not rocket science. also I would not buy any eBay bars and joints... Those joints are usually very very cheap.

Last edited:

curtis270

Reaction score
I put the ebay bars up to show the scheme that im going to copy. you do know you can get ouo and pmf bars off ebay right? im not beheading anyone I just dont like the generic comments of you cant build your own bars because your not pmf or ouo and anything you buy on ebay is trash.

EPA

Reaction score
I put the ebay bars up to show the scheme that im going to copy. you do know you can get ouo and pmf bars off ebay right? im not beheading anyone I just dont like the generic comments of you cant build your own bars because your not pmf or ouo and anything you buy on ebay is trash.

Im the guy who got trashed on for saying build them haha... The comment was not toward you. I didnt mean dont buy off eBay I should have said no name items from eBay... I have worn many Hein joints in an off road rig I have and eBay no name ones were noisy after a race or 2 haha..... Probably because I didn't build it right... Just thought I would say that before someone else could haha :axe:

Last edited:

sootie

Reaction score
lol everyone Ive ever met. because you only use and SALE pmf ouo is cool but I dont sell them I work in maintenance and dont get them at cost but Im also not afraid to get my hands dirty and build things myself. why would I pay 500 or more for 2 two pieces of pipe and 4 brackets that bolt to my axle and frame.

Stop asking questions then. Go and buy your ebay chit and dont come on here later complaining that your ride sucks, your heims are breaking, and your bushing are wearing out. There is a reason the leading brands still dominate the market....hint: it isn't price!

Ive run PMF and OUO as well as made my own. All i will ever run in the future is OUO if that says anything.

curtis270

Reaction score
Stop asking questions then. Go and buy your ebay chit and dont come on here later complaining that your ride sucks, your heims are breaking, and your bushing are wearing out. There is a reason the leading brands still dominate the market....hint: it isn't price!

Ive run PMF and OUO as well as made my own. All i will ever run in the future is OUO if that says anything.

lol says your not a very good fabricator if you would run a different set made the same way.

sootie

Reaction score
lol says your not a very good fabricator if you would run a different set made the same way.

Thanks for the personal attack. Seems legit seeing as you have no clue who I am or what my skills are or aren't.

I had made my own prior to owning OUO product. Once I saw how they did it, and how well they perform, I realized why they cost what they do. That and I don't own a foundry so difficult for me to produce cast parts nor cost effective to order one-offs.

Maybe do some research and you will see the differences between each brand.

Not sure what your income level is but my time is worth something.

curtis270

Reaction score
Thanks for the personal attack. Seems legit seeing as you have no clue who I am or what my skills are or aren't.

I had made my own prior to owning OUO product. Once I saw how they did it, and how well they perform, I realized why they cost what they do. That and I don't own a foundry so difficult for me to produce cast parts nor cost effective to order one-offs.

Maybe do some research and you will see the differences between each brand.

Not sure what your income level is but my time is worth something.

wasn't a personal attack you said "Ive run PMF and OUO as well as made my own. All i will ever run in the future is OUO if that says anything." and I answered. that was the point of the whole thread here research and the differences and what you could take from all the kits and make the best of all worlds but as can be seen from some of the other post in this thread its gone to people bashing me because Im not buying ouo or pmf bars but trying to build my own. Im also not saying that either company makes bad bars but you can look up the price of DOM tubing and heims and 1/4 steel for brackets and know that $500+ is ridiculous its over 100% profit.