Trans Issue...

extreme3807

Reaction score
When I toasted my pump and converter I lost everything as well. Would just rev up and only had park. Everything else was fine but those 2 things.

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
line pressure can also affected by a pump failure correct? i know very little about trans diagnosis but i have had a ton of failures.

Yep. Boost valves were also an issue with these units also.

There's an updated pump housing iirc.

No pump = no pressure = riding with a tow truck driver.

I think even if the epc fails it will still drive.

Any codes?

Didn't break the diff, or an axle or something, did you?

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
Check out your pump buddy. Mine died on I80 in Iowa out of nowhere 2 winters ago pulling a trailer, all the sudden ZING nothing, thought i stripped/broke something. The ford pump assembly part number has been updated more than a 15 year old girls facebook status

91turbogsx

Reaction score
Yep. Boost valves were also an issue with these units also.

There's an updated pump housing iirc.

No pump = no pressure = riding with a tow truck driver.

I think even if the epc fails it will still drive.

Any codes?

Didn't break the diff, or an axle or something, did you?
No codes that I saw. And the first thing I checked was the diff, etc on the side of the highway. Wasn't that. I'm gonna take a closer look at the TC this afternoon and see if anything is stripped. Any way to test/check the pump while its out?

JEEPSTER401

Reaction score
I had the same problem, tested for pressure, there was none, pulled the pump and split it to find one of the pump gears had shattered.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
use a big hose clamp to get the pump halves center again. (providing you dont have the regular tools)

if the 2 pump halves aren't algined perfectly, you won't get the pump back in the case without a hammer. (don't use a hammer to put the pump in ):)

91turbogsx

Reaction score
use a big hose clamp to get the pump halves center again. (providing you dont have the regular tools)

if the 2 pump halves aren't algined perfectly, you won't get the pump back in the case without a hammer. (don't use a hammer to put the pump in ):)

Appreciate the tip. Hopefully I can find something in a few hours when I get to look at it more.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
I looked at all the splines in the converter. They all look fine with no signs of stripping. I have not pulled the pump apart yet though to look at the gears.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
Pump looks fine to me as well. Could it still be the converter even though it has no noticeable signs?

-00FD-4F0B-8596-86B4B79F79F7-2048-00000171CD0DB6A6.jpg

91turbogsx

Reaction score
All splines throughout tranny look good. I'm gonna put the pump back together since everything there seems fine there. No scoring or anything on the housing.

Why couldn't it just be a broken shaft somewhere?!? LOL

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
Damn near exact thing just happened to me... light acceleration. free rev... It was the TC... Fluid was fine, shafts were fine, clutched were fine... Metal shavings in the pan... TC has wobble to it.

Other things that I noticed prior to it letting go...
1. low power shudder. I thought maybe U joints.
2. higher speed shudder... BAD...
3. rev and slam... Often...

worth investigating further...

91turbogsx

Reaction score
The rev and slam would happen from time to time but never experienced a shudder. I haven't saw any metal shavings anywhere in the pan either.

I appreciate the help guys. I relatively new to dealing with transmissions personally. I assumed it was a shaft or something more "simple" so I thought I would tackle the project. :doh:

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Damn near exact thing just happened to me... light acceleration. free rev... It was the TC... Fluid was fine, shafts were fine, clutched were fine... Metal shavings in the pan... TC has wobble to it.

Other things that I noticed prior to it letting go...
1. low power shudder. I thought maybe U joints.
2. higher speed shudder... BAD...
3. rev and slam... Often...

worth investigating further...

you have been referenced already so your words are irrelevant. LOL

91turbogsx

Reaction score
Is there any sort of bench testing I can perform on this trans? I'm at a point where I'm just gonna start reassembly while closely inspecting each part as it goes back together. I've never hoped for something visibly broken as I am now. LOL

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
Is there any sort of bench testing I can perform on this trans? I'm at a point where I'm just gonna start reassembly while closely inspecting each part as it goes back together. I've never hoped for something visibly broken as I am now. LOL
Yes.
You can air check it as you reassemble it.

Did you take the pressure regulator apart?

THIS^^^^

Several stages can be checked with a simple air fitting, and you will be able to see the engagement.

Latest posts

Members online