Trans shifts weird

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
Yes it is likely. In my mind it is the most likely cause of the problem. The programming is identical for 4x4 and 4x2. The computers are the same, too. The 4x4 sends a signal when it is in low range. If the computer sees that pin grounded then it will shift the trans on the low range schedule. It doesn't know if the truck is a 4x4 or a 4x2.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Definitely is! Now I need to fool around with AE and see if I can figure out how to check it.

So if that were the case, what is the fix?

6speedsd

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365819761.507635.jpg

These are the parameters I found that were trans related on AE. Truck wasn't running, that's why there is no data. Going to try and watch some of these tomorrow and try to post some data. Hard to do alot of checking when you are riding solo!

6speedsd

Reaction score
try the data log feature ?

Yea that's what I'm going to do. I have an hour long drive tomorrow morning. Will run it then.

So will I need the trans to shift weird to get the right data, or should something be obviously off the whole time? Particularly the 4low thing Mark referred to. I'm sure now that I'll be monitoring it the thing will shift perfect all day.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
Hard to do alot of checking when you are riding solo!
That was my job for over a quarter of a century! I data logged parameters like that and modified my calibration to get the engine or transmission I was working on to do what it should. I was always riding solo.

My lists often had 50 parameters in them, including pressures at each clutch, plus a torque meter in the driveshaft.

Zmann

Reaction score
the drive shaft torque meter sounds cool

was it like a spacer and was bolted inline with the shaft ?

Zmann

Reaction score
Neat stuff

was it real time Data or retrieved later ?
if real time was it wireless ??

sorry for the derail OP but this is interesting LOL

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
It was real time, but also recorded for more in depth analysis back at the desk. It was all wired, except for the strain gauge torque meter. Those had a wireless sender/receiver.

6speedsd

Reaction score
About to head down the road and monitor a bit.

This is at idle. Sorry it's a bit hard to read. Couldn't get the glare off the screen.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365893682.480960.jpg

6speedsd

Reaction score
Pedal position 1....
Says 5V is the max its ever supposed to be, but at idle mine is over 4V. Is that normal?

Haven't gone over the data from the ride home yet but I did notice vehicle speed was about 2 mph off between AE and the speedo.

Oh, and found out my EOT was about 30 degrees higher than ECT!! Ugh, this cooler is less than a year old, and I flushed the piss out of the coolant system before I changed it last time. I just checked those temps about a mth ago and they never got over 7 degrees apart.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Ok, here is some of what I got.

4x4 low range input was always 0
4x4 low requested by driver was always 0
Pedal position percentage fluctuated up and down as it should. Wasn't jumpy or anything.
Pedal position status was 0 the entire drive.
Output shaft speed failure mode was 0 the entire drive
Throttle position sensor was 0V the entire time.
Turbine shaft speed failure mode...0 entire drive.

Not sure if any of that is understandable or even helpful. That's just the data I got. Reading it off excel...where I had it saved.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
A little of it is helpful. Did the trans work right or malfunction during the drive?

Did you find a gear commanded PID? That is the gear the PCM is commanding the trans to be in. Also, are there PIDs that show turbine speed and output shaft speed? The fault status isn't very useful.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Only ones I found were for faults. Not reading the actual speed. Unless I overlooked one of them. I'll look at it again this afternoon.

Only one time did I get it to shift weird. One time I let it shift into 4th/5th then got on it. It didn't hold that gear but just a second, then quickly shifted to OD, and converter locked almost as soon as it made that shift. Hope that makes sense. Those shifts were just super fast, considering I was on the throttle when it happened.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online