Trans won't stay cool

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
From Ford? The bypass kit? I am having a trans built and while I have faith in the builder, i do also like to check things over.
I know Summit makes a kit. Ford probably has the parts, I don't know if they are packaged in a kit.
And are/were there lots of failures in regard to not having one?
I have no way of knowing. I do know that the people that kept track of that felt the need to spend the money to create the bypass for the 4R100.

mandkole

Reaction score
And are/were there lots of failures in regard to not having one?

Like I said earlier, I specifically asked why mine was removed when mine was redone. I was directly told, 'they aren't worth the effort, especially around here (the NW)'. Jeff (My builder) would have put it back on, but said that he removes every single one that comes through his shop. He said, I'll support you if it breaks. For what ever its worth, I went with it. Cooling has never been an issue for me and I just run the V10 cooler.

Sonnax makes a kit that is said to deal with the issues of premature opening.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Like I said earlier, I specifically asked why mine was removed when mine was redone. I was directly told, 'they aren't worth the effort, especially around here (the NW)'. Jeff (My builder) would have put it back on, but said that he removes every single one that comes through his shop. He said, I'll support you if it breaks. For what ever its worth, I went with it. Cooling has never been an issue for me and I just run the V10 cooler.

I always ran the stocker and another small one. I only had a few times it got really hot. Lasted 250k miles. I just got the bigger 6l cooler last week for my new trans since im not interested in the anal-retentive approach it took to get my stocker to 250k miles

Sonnax makes a kit that is said to deal with the issues of premature opening.

I know Summit makes a kit. Ford probably has the parts, I don't know if they are packaged in a kit.

I have no way of knowing. I do know that the people that kept track of that felt the need to spend the money to create the bypass for the 4R100.

Ha ha, very true. I wondered if ford was able to define a failure rate for the device or for transmissions that didnt use them. It doesnt seem like it'd be a common failure but that doesnt mean it isnt.

Sonnax 4R100 bypass rebuild kit 36605-02K. They run about $20. bucks.

Cool! Sonnax makes some good stuff!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.