Transmission cooler lines

Tom S

Reaction score
I had forgotten about the bumper mounted one. Since I have an intercooler it will probably be easiest to go with that one. Any big differences? How easy is it to mount?

It is really easy to mount to the back of the bumper. I think I have a write up on here.

Charles

Reaction score
So we have a choice between what you hope is happening and what I have measured is actually happening. Hmmmm...........the radiator cold tank is at ambient. How is that warming your ZF6? The transmission is colder than ambient temperature?

There are surely a number of situations where the radiator is warmer than ambient. A service truck sitting on the side of the road running a PTO for a crane will have a radiator bottom tank warmer than ambient, and in winter, probably warmer than the trans fluid in a ZF6. Maybe not....

I would wager that if I pulled to the side of the road about 2.5 hours into running to the floor everywhere but the downhills with 22 round bales on the trailer behind me and asked you to press your face up against that bottom tank I imagine I might get a bit of resistance from you...

But, maybe not...

lol.

Regardless, I do appreciate the info. I would have never suspected that the radiator core was that efficient.

Now if we could have an intercooler core whose outlet temps were always ambient...

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
That's true, the bottom tank would then be hotter than ambient. The transmission would be MUCH hotter than the top tank in those conditions, so the cooler in the bottom tank would still be cooling the transmission.

I have tested it under extreme load conditions, too. Like climbing a 12 mile long 8% grade out of Bullhead City, AZ, in 115°F ambient, with an F-550 and fifth wheel loaded to 30,000 pounds. It was foot to the floor for the entire run, and I never got above 37 MPH.

joedown

Reaction score
It is really easy to mount to the back of the bumper. I think I have a write up on here.

Is this a 6.0 SD cooler we are talking about? Anyone have the dimensions? Seems like it would be too big to fit behind the bumper. How would this affect the temp of the intercooler?

PsRumors

Reaction score
When going to the 3/8" lines what is everyone using for the fittings in the bottom of the radiator? What is the thread size / type?

OBSWIZ

Reaction score
I thought I wrote it down but I can't find it.. sure its 3/8 pipe..

As far as going to the Rad then a cooler..its simple Brian at BTS says DO IT...nuff said.

JD3020

Reaction score
I'm gonna have to check out my rad cooler soon and see what shape its in. I have a B&M Supercooler but the trans can get warm. But i'm not sure what shape the rad cooler is in as it was unhooked when i bought the truck 2.5 years ago.

OBSWIZ

Reaction score
Just a FYI I had to go to Sac..in Ca over Hy 50 Saturday..80-100* temps and I hauled ASS! trans never got over 162* before it would have been 185-190*

TARM

Reaction score

As far as going to the Rad then a cooler..its simple Brian at BTS says DO IT...nuff said.

That is the way I have always run it as well. Everything I have ever found on it by authorities says to do it. When you consider the superiority of energy transfer between fluid /fluid vs fluid to air I can see why.

The only thing I have left to do and will do it with the BTS I have sitting here is swap to all 1/2" lines from the trans thru along with the lines to the rad.

Cary,

Besides the Ford parts for the trans lines you have posted the numbers for before is there anything similar for the radiator connectors. It should not be too much trouble to make it up myself but would be nice with the sections of pre-bent hard-lines.

Tom S

Reaction score

They are inverted flare fittings on the tru-cool.

Got my Tru-Cool 47391 transmission cooler installed. Took the truck for a drive and the temps never got above 135* on my Aeroforce Interceptor. The same drive prior to changing the cooler showed the temps around 150*. That is with the ambiant temperature at about 90*.

I like the placement behind the bumper as well. It moves it out about 2.5" from the intercooler. It also free's up a lot of surface area in front of the intercooler that the old cooler occupied. Not only did it move the cooler down, but it also shortened the amount of hose from the radiator cooler to the aux cooler, and back to the hard lines. It also reduced the distance the transmission pump has to pump the fluid up into the old cooler. The inlet and outlet of this cooler is about 3/4" lower than the inlet and out let of the radiator cooler.

This is the old cooler behind the grill.

2012-08-29T19-07-57_2.png

The install is pretty straight forward.

Remove the bumper and set it on a firm surface so you can drill 4 holes.

2012-08-29T19-07-57_1.png

2012-08-29T19-07-56_0.png

Center the cooler on the bumper and mark the holes to be drilled.

2012-08-29T19-07-58_3.png

2012-08-29T19-07-58_4.png

For the fittings to make the 90*, get yourself a pair of the Edelmann 822660 from your local auto parts store. It requires special fittings since the cooler is a 3/8" inverted flare fitting on both ends. I got mine from O'Reilly (thanks to Tom S. for helping me source the proper fitting). These have a 3/8" hose fitting on them, but the 5/16" rubber hose will flex enough to fit over them. It is a tight fit. I plan on upgrading to 3/8" Super Duty transmission lines in the near future.

2012-08-29T19-07-58_5.png

Installed. The fittings are about 1/16" above the lowest part of the bumper. That should be enough to protect them.

2012-08-29T19-07-58_6.png

2012-08-29T19-07-58_7.png

2012-08-29T19-07-58_8.png

2012-08-29T19-07-58_9.png

2012-08-29T19-07-58_10.png

2012-08-29T19-07-58_11.png

TARM

Reaction score
Tom,

Do you know if installing a cooler that way in a SD will contact the PW cooler in the stock location? It looks like it will from what I can see right now. I am installing a V10 there as a fuel cooler. Was hoping to not have to move the PW cooler if I didn't have to but I guess I can figure out a mount to be vertical.

I had to move the fuel cooler from right behind the grill infront of the AC condenser to get the driving lights I wanted to fit behind the grill.

Strokersace

Reaction score
OBS hose barbs on the bottom of the radiator are 5/16". They are removable on the plastic tanked radiators. Possibly so on the brass radiators but have never tried.

I pulled one of the fittings and took it to the parts store to match up the thread and pitch for what threads into the rad. Then just get the 3/8" or 1/2" hose fitting on the other end. I've bought both at my local NAPA. I used some fuel/oil rated thread sealant for safe measure and have never had a problem.

TARM, I've wondered if the 1/2" hardlines from a 5R100 6.0 would work? I've thought about it but have never investigated fully. The only other option is to custom make 1/2" line out of SS tubing. If either the 5R lines or custom lines would work the next item to address would be the fittings at the bypass tube on the side of the trans. It's possible, I just haven't investigated how to make it work as my 3/8" SD lines with 1/2" in and out of the radiator thru a 6.0 cooler has worked great.

Tom S

Reaction score
But he was responding to my question about the radiator fittings. Going to the 3/8 SD lines I assume the 5/16 barbed fittings in the radiator need to be changed.

Sorry, was skimming through too fast and missed that.

TARM

Reaction score
OBS hose barbs on the bottom of the radiator are 5/16". They are removable on the plastic tanked radiators. Possibly so on the brass radiators but have never tried.

I pulled one of the fittings and took it to the parts store to match up the thread and pitch for what threads into the rad. Then just get the 3/8" or 1/2" hose fitting on the other end. I've bought both at my local NAPA. I used some fuel/oil rated thread sealant for safe measure and have never had a problem.

TARM, I've wondered if the 1/2" hardlines from a 5R100 6.0 would work? I've thought about it but have never investigated fully. The only other option is to custom make 1/2" line out of SS tubing. If either the 5R lines or custom lines would work the next item to address would be the fittings at the bypass tube on the side of the trans. It's possible, I just haven't investigated how to make it work as my 3/8" SD lines with 1/2" in and out of the radiator thru a 6.0 cooler has worked great.

Yep that is what I have basically come up with so far. I was hoping someone knew for sure or had done it. You can use the bypass tube from Ford so thats not an issue. The only issue I am stuck with is the parts going in/out of the radiator. I know its not that big of a deal but if you are going to upgrade any of the lines and then leave some @ 3/8 it kind of defeats the entire purpose in the first place as you still have the same size restriction in the system.

All left besides that is to see if a cooler mounted in the bumper like Tom has shown but in a SD requires relocating the PS cooler.

PsRumors

Reaction score

Good info, Thanks! I wanted to make sure I wasn't dealing with some funky thread size.

OBSWIZ

Reaction score
If you have a SD use the 31 row 6.0 trans cooler in the stock location.

I don't like 90* fittings so I used AN radius fittings everywhere and AN to tube adapters.
For the cooler I used inverted flair to AN adapter.

alradco

Reaction score
I think my trans cooler is plugged a bit so I'm going to order the Tru Cool. The previous owner also bypassed the radiator so I will be hooking it back up. So basically I should go in to radiator then out to cooler, then back to trans? That's it? That simple?

Tom S

Reaction score
If you have a SD use the 31 row 6.0 trans cooler in the stock location.

I don't like 90* fittings so I used AN radius fittings everywhere and AN to tube adapters.
For the cooler I used inverted flair to AN adapter.

I looked at some of those but thought they would hang below to show above the bumper. I am sure they do flow better.

Latest posts

Members online