Transmission Gurus?

Reaction score
I have a 4wd trans with tcase and want to make it into a 2wd trans. I know most older transmissions you have to swap output shafts and tail housings to make it work. Which is a pain. But. Like when I order my comp unit from Midwest I didn't have to specify 2wd or 4wd which leads me to believe they are the same transmission that doesn't involve Alot of work to change around. But I can't experiment since it is my daily right now. 2014 f250 6.7

sootie

Reaction score
i would call midwest and clarify. i bet they assumed you needed 4wd. Its not as simple to swap over as the 5rs were.

Reaction score
I've had the trans in the truck for about a year now no issues. My truck is a 4x4 swapped to 2wd. Just never removed the tcase. But since I was told when ordering it it doesn't matter it leads me to believe they are the same.
I'm just wanting to pull to tcase of a sell it at this point since it's just down there doing nothing and since I'm sending my truck off to be bagged it's less weight to deal with.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
I've had the trans in the truck for about a year now no issues. My truck is a 4x4 swapped to 2wd. Just never removed the tcase. But since I was told when ordering it it doesn't matter it leads me to believe they are the same.
I'm just wanting to pull to tcase of a sell it at this point since it's just down there doing nothing and since I'm sending my truck off to be bagged it's less weight to deal with.

ya no wonder it worked with the tcase still on there lol

throw the tcase in the scrap-you cant give them away.

Not sure what you are doing for driveline but driveshaft length with change, also dont know if you have a two piece driveshaft or if you need a slip yoke style tail housing.

Reaction score
2wd isn't a slip like the 4x4. It has a yoke to bolt to and 2wds. All I have to do is buy the 2wd drive shaft to fit. 2wd is 2 piece 4wd is one piece.
Damn really the tcase isnt worth anything? I was hoping to get a couple hundred for it. Might not swap it out then since I was gonna use the money I made off it to basically refund my money for parts needed to convert the trans if it was cheap.

John.

Reaction score
A yoke can be bolted to any of the 4x4 models, the output shaft is tapped for a retaining bolt. You would also need to buy the rear mounts that bolt onto the lower rear of the case since the transfer case has the rear mount built in along with a driveshaft with a slip yoke. If you want the integral slip yoke in the back end of the transmission, everything has to come out of the front and install a longer output shaft. There's 3 ways they can be set up 2wd slip yoke, 2wd rigid yoke, and 4x4 short splined shaft.

Latest posts

Members online