Transmission slipping already?!

04cr450

Reaction score
Yup figured out how to change it out. Had to drop the solenoid body. Was tough but got it completed. Truck shifts and engages now like it was new. I know this time I changed the line pressure lol

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
Uh oh. Replace any gaskets and what was the difficulty level? I'm gonna attempt to replace it tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

04cr450

Reaction score
It was hard not gonna sugar coat it. You need the oring for the solenoid harness... You do not need the solenoid body gasket as long as it does not tear. Its best to have a second pair of hands. When removing the solenoid body(you will et wet with oil), only remove the 8mm bolts(21 of them). When lowering the body down, you will see a spider looking round metal thing, this thing is an orifice for the forward over drive gear, pay attention to wear it goes, and also pay attention to where the piston that engages drive, and the gears at the shift lever(if the piston does not get set back, the truck will not shift and might not start).

Once the solenoid body is on a clean work bench, go to the wiring harness, and lift the tiny plastic tab- while doing this twist it counter clock wise and it will pop up allowing you to gain access to the solenoid... Reverse the process and torque the 21 bolts to 89inch lbs.

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
May have someone do this for me. I'm afraid not getting things lined up like there supposed to

04cr450

Reaction score
It was my first time tackling this job as well. You can do it.. Just pay attention to what you are doing. Its a shame there is not many write-ups on how to work on a 5r110..

Dave

Reaction score
Empire diesel performance is where to go for the solenoid

04cr450

Reaction score
I wanted to do a write-up with pics but is difficult without getting the phone soaked in fluid. Its messy... I got my solenoid from sunrise for $73, and the o-ring for the harness was $2.14. Just reused the old tranny, only had a couple thousand miles on it.

Op, if u need help just shoot me a pm ill give u my number

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
Ok I have finished the solenoid job. Not today but yesterday. I snapped some photos to make a write up. I will do that when I get home tonight.

Latest posts

Members online