Tries to start but no start

SMOKEY

Reaction score
Truck is a 2003. It will try to start and sometimes it will and rough idle for 3-5 seconds then shut off. ICP gets up to 1500 while cranking and IPR gets to 85%. I don't have a good way to read fuel pressure but pump does run and if I crack fuel filter housing open while pump is running it seams to have a lot of pressure. Truck also showed no running bad problems before the no start issue. Only codes are P0403 EGR circuit fault, P0405 EGR A circuit low, and P1000 OBDII system checks incomplete. Truck also passes injector buzz test. No programmer on truck just exhaust intake and EGR delete. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Lassie

Reaction score
Start with the easy stuff...is air filter clean or collapsed? Check fuel pressure and FICM voltages at all three points. KOEO, starting, running.

Have you always had these circuit codes since EGR delete? There is 5V ref voltage fed to EGR valve by PCM and even if not installed, will cause problems if this wire is grounded.

SMOKEY

Reaction score
Start with the easy stuff...is air filter clean or collapsed? Check fuel pressure and FICM voltages at all three points. KOEO, starting, running.

Have you always had these circuit codes since EGR delete? There is 5V ref voltage fed to EGR valve by PCM and even if not installed, will cause problems if this wire is grounded.

Air filter is good, i just changed all the filters after this happened and fuel filters get changed ever 15k and oil every 3k normally. I swapped FICM with a truck that runs, what is the FICM voltage supposed to be at all three points? I don't really have a way to read fuel pressure, where's a good spot to read the fuel pressure at? KOEO only pulls those 3 codes and truck won't run long enough to do KOER test. Yes always had those codes since EGR delete, I will try plugging an EGR valve back in but not sure why that would just now start acting up after 6 months. From what I can see all the wiring looks good but I haven't pulled the harness out either. Thank you for the impute.

Lassie

Reaction score
I was just curious if code was new because a damaged wire could drop your Vref. FICM should read 48V at all situations.

Fuel pressure can be read at test port on bottom of Fuel Press reg housing. Allen head plug. A harbor freight pressure testing kit has correct fitting and gauge for cheap. I'll dig up kit number for you later.

Test the FICM with meter under small test cover on the FICM with key on and starting. FICM should read 48V at all situations.

Last edited:

SMOKEY

Reaction score
Ok cool I will try that and that harbor freight number would be great. Thanks for the help and advice so far

imelmo

Reaction score
Mine was doing similar and I just put my meter on the ficm- 21V at idle. Time to upgrade. :D

SMOKEY

Reaction score
When I test the FICM how many of the post under the test cover should read 48v? There are 7 post on mine and I have an extra FICM with 4 post, is there a difference between the 2?

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
When I test the FICM how many of the post under the test cover should read 48v? There are 7 post on mine and I have an extra FICM with 4 post, is there a difference between the 2?

only difference is date of manufacturing

Sent while spinning 18 wheels

SMOKEY

Reaction score
Anyone know what size the fitting is on the bottom of the fuel bowl to test fuel pressure?

SMOKEY

Reaction score
Ok fuel pressure reads 50psi with key on and during cranking. FICM also showed 48v with key on and during cranking.

Mdub707

Reaction score
On a 7 pin unit, you should be reading the pin in the top row (row of 4 pins) closest to passenger side.

It should read 48 key on engine off, cranking, and running.

For a 4 pin, you would just read the pin closest to the drivers side.

Even though it reads 48V, it can still be bad. Being you swapped it with another, I find that hard to believe though.

Is ICP desired or ICP actual getting up to 1500psi? If IPR is at max value (85%) and your ICP desired is at 1500 psi, what is your ICP actual? Could be a bad HPOP, or a bad LPOP. Have you tried reading low oil pressure? When cranking does the gauge on the dash come up? It only needs like 2 or 3 psi to come up. It seems to take 5-7 seconds for that to come up though.

Are you getting any smoke out of the exhaust when cranking? No smoke means you're not even trying to fire injectors, ie... high pressure oil issue or FICM issue. I think it's safe to say the FICM is ruled out.

SMOKEY

Reaction score
Is ICP desired or ICP actual getting up to 1500psi? If IPR is at max value (85%) and your ICP desired is at 1500 psi, what is your ICP actual? Could be a bad HPOP, or a bad LPOP. Have you tried reading low oil pressure? When cranking does the gauge on the dash come up? It only needs like 2 or 3 psi to come up. It seems to take 5-7 seconds for that to come up though.

Are you getting any smoke out of the exhaust when cranking? No smoke means you're not even trying to fire injectors, ie... high pressure oil issue or FICM issue. I think it's safe to say the FICM is ruled out.

I believe it is the actual pressure but I will recheck when I am around the truck tomorrow. I will also check the Low oil pressure tomorrow. No smoke from the exhaust while cranking but the motor tries to start and will sometimes rough idle for 3-5 seconds. Thank you for the help so far.

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
I believe it is the actual pressure but I will recheck when I am around the truck tomorrow. I will also check the Low oil pressure tomorrow. No smoke from the exhaust while cranking but the motor tries to start and will sometimes rough idle for 3-5 seconds. Thank you for the help so far.

I'm guessing bad hpop, could be a hpo leak as well

Sent while spinning 18 wheels

SMOKEY

Reaction score
I found that the IPR and ICP plugs are bad. Still not sure if this is all that's wrong with it but the IPR wires where melted together and ICP plug is soaked with oil. Is there anywhere besides ford where I can get the IPR and ICP pigtails?

Mdub707

Reaction score
I would just get them from Ford myself, but not sure of the cost.

IPR pigtail: 6E7Z-12A690-DA

ICP pigtail: 5C3Z-12224-A

SMOKEY

Reaction score
Ok I fixed the wiring and now my scanner is reading different. Now during cranking the ICP is reading between 280 and 340 and IPR is at 85%. I also tried unplugging the ICP sensor but still no start.

What else should I try checking?

Also this truck had no running bad issues or any hard start issues before this problem. I drove it to a friends house and was there for several hours then went to start it to leave with no luck.

Last edited:

SMOKEY

Reaction score
Is there a spot besides the ICP to air test the high pressure oil system? It's not very easy to get to on this truck.

Mdub707

Reaction score
It's not building enough pressure to even run. Needs 500 psi before the PCM will even say "go." Sounds more like a leak than a bad HPOP though. Does the ICP desired start low and work it's way up? What about the IPR value, is it stuck at 85%? Might just be an IPR stuck open.

SMOKEY

Reaction score
It's not building enough pressure to even run. Needs 500 psi before the PCM will even say "go." Sounds more like a leak than a bad HPOP though. Does the ICP desired start low and work it's way up? What about the IPR value, is it stuck at 85%? Might just be an IPR stuck open.

I just air tested the system but didn't find any leaks. IPR isn't at 85% when I first start cranking that's just what it gets to and stays while cranking. I can't remember what the ICP desired does I just know its about 1500 while cranking.

Latest posts

Members online