truck hard starting new glow plugs, gpr, and starter

nathan

Reaction score
my 01 is hard starting i just replaced the glow plug relay, the glow plugs, the starter, and had the battery checked out.
it will cranks and try to start just won't fire over
puffs white for alittle. and "surges" when warming up.
Im lost what do i look at next?
thanks

nathan

Reaction score
my 01 is hard starting i just replaced the glow plug relay, the glow plugs, the starter, and had the battery checked out.
it will cranks and try to start just won't fire over
puffs white for alittle. and "surges" when warming up.
Im lost what do i look at next?
thanks

stroker2

Reaction score
Injectors? I know with my stock injectors with 145k on them it was a hard time getting the truck going at 15*. Had to try a few times and it would be missing. I put new injectors in it atnd at 5* it would fire right up and run on all cylinders

PsRumors

Reaction score
My dad spent hundreds have his GPR, plugs and harness replaced only to have the same problem as you. All new ford parts. Turned out to be the GPR again. Check to make sure you are getting power to and across the GPR.

nathan

Reaction score
thanks guys ill check the relay if its the relay ill be pod at least i bought the one with life time warranty

TARM

Reaction score
We are already back into having freezing temps and gp system start issues... Seems like it was just summer.

One way to rule out the glow plug system is to plug it in and see if the issue goes away. If it does then it COULD be the GP related.

My has the damn Glow Plug Control Module instead of a cheap standard relay. The only benefit for the $200 item that I can tell is it reports what glow plug has failed so you are not stuck OHM things out or swapping all of them out. Not worth the cost but then neither is swapping in a non-GPM harness and PCM. Issue is when I have one go out I usually replace all of them at the very least on that bank.

JLDickmon

Reaction score
Do you know how to do a voltage drop test?
If so, that's how I would check the circuit.

If it's whipping over and blowing white smoke, and not lighting off, that's certainly where I'd start..

littleredstroker

Reaction score
Mine wouldnt start without being plugged in when it was 65 degrees. 3 bad injectors. It would dump black smoke even.at -20 so I didn't figure it was go issue. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but if your having glow plug problems it should be dumping raw fuek, lotsa white when cranking. If its no smoke at all or black, like mine , I would start to think about other issues.

autocorrected by taptalk

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
if its cranking and hitting, white smoke, and glow plugs and ICP is fine, along with fuel PSI, your most likely looking at injectors... When I finally get it to fire I hold it to WOT, if it hesitates at any rpm range, than shoots to redline I replace injectors...

nathan

Reaction score
Thanks guys. it must be my investors. it will smoke whit for a min or two once started but if its plunged in it will fire right up. Where should i look for good injectors? what should i run? I want performance but don't want to lose fuel economy.
thanks again

stroker2

Reaction score
I would double check everything (glow plugs, relay, make sure its not just turning over slow) then i would look for injectors. Given what you are looking for and whatever mods you have, i would do stage 1's. Better mileage that way, simple chip reburn which is usually free with injectors from most vendor i believe and will run good with a stock turbo, tranny, and fuel system.

nathan

Reaction score
Ok thanks. my truck is pretty much stock. the guy before me built the transition up but Idk how much i can trust him. it does for sure have a.fined trans pan on it tho. i plan on running a 4inch turbo back once i figure out why its a pita to start.
ik its not turning over slow i put i highoutput starter from db electric in it.
thanks for the advice

TARM

Reaction score
For injectors I would call the following three and talk with each and then make a decision:

Nate @ Unlimited Diesel
Dave @ Swamps Diesel
Cass @ Full Force Diesel

Personally I think I would see what you could get a 30% Hybrid for. Your stock HPOP that is likely getting tired would get a huge boost from it. As far as I can figure it would be like having a A code 30% nozzle running with a performance HPOP such as a Adrenaline or T500.

This could save you from having to worry about a HPOP upgrade in the future.

Add to that a manual WG controller as even a chipped stock injectors is enough to send boost into the turbo explosion range. Turbomaster set to open around 25 psi.

That would be a nice peppy setup that would not need added fuel or hpop to get the most out of it.

nathan

Reaction score
Ok i have a chip with a 6 poss switch just not installed yet because do not know the tunes that are on it and the price was right.

TARM

Reaction score
My suggestion would be to give Matt@ gearhead and call and talk over tunes. No way after seeing some of the timing plots of old tunes I would run tunes no matter how they felt when run.

Latest posts

Members online