Trying to beat the GVWR

PDT1081

Reaction score
Is all you need for over 10,000 gvwr just a class B or do you need an A?

If the truck is over a GVWR of 26,000 and the trailer is under 10,000, I believe you only need a B. It might even be 5,000 for the trailer, I can't remember.

If you don't currently have a CDL, get an A. I don't personally know anybody who is happy they got a B. Everybody always says "I'll just get a B, then if I need an A I'll upgrade it." Dumbest thing I've ever heard. Takes about 2 weeks to realize how limited a B is, and it's the same pain in the ass to get the A. Just get the A and skip the B.

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
With how easy it is to get a cdl, and have the trucks pass dot inspections..... Your boss is just making things harder than what it really is.

vcassens

Reaction score
If the truck is over a GVWR of 26,000 and the trailer is under 10,000, I believe you only need a B. It might even be 5,000 for the trailer, I can't remember.

If you don't currently have a CDL, get an A. I don't personally know anybody who is happy they got a B. Everybody always says "I'll just get a B, then if I need an A I'll upgrade it." Dumbest thing I've ever heard. Takes about 2 weeks to realize how limited a B is, and it's the same pain in the ass to get the A. Just get the A and skip the B.

I got a B and well you hit the nail on the head lol it sucks

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

simonton6.4

Reaction score
With how easy it is to get a cdl, and have the trucks pass dot inspections..... Your boss is just making things harder than what it really is.

I agree but at the same time with the amount of different people that drive the truck and paperwork involved in it plus with this we can pretty much drive right by weight stations instead of going around them all the time

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
Then only have 3 people with cdls or "drivers", plenty of companies do that.

It's really not that hard

jngreen

Reaction score
I'm not defending them, but maybe they don't pay their employees all that well and can't afford to have expensive CDL drivers on the payroll. I don't know too many people with CDLs that will work for low pay.
Also, I wouldn't exactly call it easy for the average person to get a CDL. I thought it was fairly simple to get mine, but I have been around heavy equipment and trucks my whole life. I agree about skipping the class B license and going straight for the A instead though. Class B license is just for tri-axle dump truck drivers, in my opinion, who will never hitch to a trailer.

Last edited:

weekendwarriorfsw32

Reaction score
Here is my concern with getting a Class A is even if I am just driving a car doesn't my blood alc content go down and aren't normal violations worth more points with a Class A even if I am not operating under class A guidelines? Correct me if I am wrong.

bng305

Reaction score
Here is my concern with getting a Class A is even if I am just driving a car doesn't my blood alc content go down and aren't normal violations worth more points with a Class A even if I am not operating under class A guidelines? Correct me if I am wrong.

Plus in Virginia you have to keep up a current medical card which requires a physical every year.

wyomingtrucker

Reaction score
Doesn't matter which state your in, if you have a cdl you have to have a current medical card

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

PDT1081

Reaction score

Class A, Class B, or Class C doesn't matter. CDL is a CDL. Any alcohol in your system can technically park you for 24 hours, but it's gonna take a d!k cop that actually knows the CDL laws to do it. * You can't get a DUI for less than .08 unless you are actually in a commercial vehicle.

*I'm not a lawyer. I'm sure it's possible if you can't pass the field sobriety tests.

PDT1081

Reaction score
Plus in Virginia you have to keep up a current medical card which requires a physical every year.

Maybe Virginia is different, but medical cards in Ohio are good for two years with exceptions for certain medical conditions. A DOT physical costs about $75. Sometimes, your employer will even pay for it.

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
Class A, Class B, or Class C doesn't matter. CDL is a CDL. Any alcohol in your system can technically park you for 24 hours, but it's gonna take a d!k cop that actually knows the CDL laws to do it. * You can't get a DUI for less than .08 unless you are actually in a commercial vehicle.

*I'm not a lawyer. I'm sure it's possible if you can't pass the field sobriety tests.

Everything I have heard from friends that drive here in Cali is that a cdl lowers your legal limit regardless of what you're driving at the time. Points for tickets are also higher than normal.

Garrett

probably getting paid at work to post this from my POS phone

wyomingtrucker

Reaction score
Maybe Virginia is different, but medical cards in Ohio are good for two years with exceptions for certain medical conditions. A DOT physical costs about $75. Sometimes, your employer will even pay for it.

Not anymore. Well soon anyway I can't remember if it's January that it starts or if it's already in play but the medical card has to be done by a certified doctor and you have to take a form now to the dot office and it is linked to your license. They are for two years and the cost is going to go up across the board due to the new regs. If this hasn't gone into play yet and you are looking to get a cdl most companies want you to go through their doctor anyway but I would go get one done ASAP. If your gonna do haz mat get started on it due to the background checks and the gov shutdown slowing down the already slow process.

PDT1081

Reaction score
Not anymore. Well soon anyway I can't remember if it's January that it starts or if it's already in play but the medical card has to be done by a certified doctor and you have to take a form now to the dot office and it is linked to your license. They are for two years and the cost is going to go up across the board due to the new regs. If this hasn't gone into play yet and you are looking to get a cdl most companies want you to go through their doctor anyway but I would go get one done ASAP. If your gonna do haz mat get started on it due to the background checks and the gov shutdown slowing down the already slow process.

When I renewed my license last year, I had to present the form for interstate travel (crossing state lines) and my current medical card. Luckily I went in two weeks early because I didn't find out about it till the DMV told me. My doctor's office has the DOT forms for the physical.

The certain medical conditions I was referring to are certain types of diabetes and heart conditions that require yearly physicals.

weekendwarriorfsw32

Reaction score
That is exactly what i thought and kinda my reason for not getting one. I think its bull sh*t if I am driving say the excursion and get pulled over with a Class A license and get nailed for more points even if I am not in a truck that requires a class A or B license. Kinda the reason I don't have one right now.

Everything I have heard from friends that drive here in Cali is that a cdl lowers your legal limit regardless of what you're driving at the time. Points for tickets are also higher than normal.

Garrett

probably getting paid at work to post this from my POS phone

7.3 Cowboy

Reaction score

That's false your bac is half if you have a CDl even if you get caught on a horse. Ask my buddy blew a .05 in his personal vehicle he no longer has a CDl.

jngreen

Reaction score
That's false your bac is half if you have a CDl even if you get caught on a horse. Ask my buddy blew a .05 in his personal vehicle he no longer has a CDl.

That shouldn't happen, unless his personal vehicle is also a commercial motor vehicle. The law reads .04 in a CMV, and a .08 in a PV.

Latest posts

Members online