trying to tune out the smoke, tunes?

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
im starting to play with housings on my turbo (1.1), its just a laggy pig and jody is fairly heavy with fuel. Running 250/100s and just to put a smile on your face you've ruined some ones paint. I choose when and where to smack the ol skinny pedal. feel like a dick so I never touch the tunner any more.
guys with larger injectors who are you running for tunes? Live tunning isn't really in the question right now. I would love to try PHP as my friends truck with 2s wouldn't smoke an ounce until you MASHED the pedal. I understand running a 71mm requires some fuel but DAMN. Id really like to turn this smoke into a few more ponies. Can any one shead some light? thanks!

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
Also, would a pump capable of pushing higher ICP at lower RPM help with controlling smoke? id really like to try something stronger than the T500, still waiting on the 1000 :(

V-Ref

Reaction score
A couple/three fellas can get you squared away IMHO.

Start with this guy.
http://www.gearheadautomotiveperformance.com/

If he doesn't get you smoke free, try this forum member. He's been known to make a smoke free tune or two.
http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/member.php?u=503

And then as a last resort....contact this fella below.
Owner/Operator: Matt Robinson
Phone: (979)703-7338
Email:[email protected]
LOL

On a serious note though...I think there's a reason a lot of the cleanest running trucks are self tuned. Those folks found out that they were way to persnickety, had exotic combinations that were tough to tame, or wanted/needed the flexibility to tweak as changes to thier application were made. And like you alluded too...live tuning would be the most efficient/effective way for a tuner to get it dialed in to your satisfaction. All the tuners have there own unique approach/philosophy, and can get you squared away....but I'd give Matt's the nod for the goals/combo you listed above.

Good luck. :fordoval:

CurtisF

Reaction score
Also, would a pump capable of pushing higher ICP at lower RPM help with controlling smoke? id really like to try something stronger than the T500, still waiting on the 1000 :(

Short answer.... no.

Long answer... reason being is that if you ramp up ICP far too high really early on, the truck sounds very "crunchy" for lack of a better term. It's a hideous sound, and you can even get some engine vibration out of it at times. I only know this because I experimented with that exact same thing, and managed to pull it off with a bone stock 17 degree HPOP. 2500 psi at 1200 RPM's under not-so-heavy-fueling sounds horrible.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
^^^^^ THIS... There is more too it then just throwing fuel in.

1.01 with that 71 should be perfect.

Its all the tunes. Jody is fueling in too hard, too early.
Swamps tunes are similar, they smoke a bit more if I lug it.
Cales are decent, it will haze a bit merging in OD locked.
Matts tunes were really clean, to be honest almost too clean:lookaround:

Lately Ive been working with a member that does self tuning, as I had a rougher idle and grey haze on cold start ups. With just a couple tries its pretty dang close. For future ref. My 200% nozzles idle better at 425ICP vs 6-700ICP.
His tune with 400/200s and my s475 barely smokes ! And on the top end will still pull over 40#of boost.
With an S471 and 100% nozzle you should be able to clean up 2.8ms in a Drag tune with ease....
Jody should be able to fix you up. If you've tried with no success or just want a different flavor. Frpom my personal exp. Matts tunes were almost smoke free with 250/200s/S471 (with 1.10) and a modded 17* pump. And idled the best out of the gate.
His big downfall he doesnt email tunes :poke: :D

skew12

Reaction score
I've been told gearhead is the way to go a few times. I think they'll be getting my business very soon.

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
thanks guys I really appreciate the info. I bought matts tunes on my stock truck but never got to run them :( I definitely wouldn't mind trying the tunes again though. just need to try and ditch the tuner I have now since I cut it in to the dash bezel. How is the power with Matt? Does he use all 250cc's or is it cut back? or is it actually utilizing every cc? I always wanted to learn how to tune so I could under stand the motor that much more. And a 1.0 housing is in the works the next few weeks. need to find a deal!

06-sixoh

Reaction score
I cant speak for the 7.3, but i know Matt's tunes for the 6.0. I ordered specifically with Matt, because his tunes are clean. Just like every other town, mine is full of "kids" who roll coal, and thats all they care about. Matts tunes are not only clean, but they are FAST. Flat out fast. I added a PHP FICM tune, so now it quite a bit more smoky on hard acceleration, but they run well together.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
that's sweet, I mean face it that we all love to mash the skinny pedal when we can expecially when we have mods. I love hearing this 71 sing but it takes fuel and a decent amount to get it going with the housing I have on it. when im finally moving this heavy bich I let off and look behind me and say dammm...MY B!! that's why I always watch whos behind me. my buddies love the smoke but I recenetly had them behind me on the way home from the track the other night and I gave them what they " Love" to see. yeah.. they don't think its so cool to be smoked out now. now they see what its a dick move

06-sixoh

Reaction score
I will say this, even though i am against smoke, i have loaded up a couple times to get somebody off my arse. Some california drivers just dont get it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
Oh I fully agree sir, I've had a few people really park up my ass and in the driving world you have no defense against that stuff. I dont smoke anyone unless they actually deserve it. And trust me, there's been a couple over here in mass

Reaction score
I've driven a truck with Matt's tunes and they ran really nice and clean. Truck's setup was 225cc A codes, Stealth billet stage 1 pump, and an S366. Of course, the S366 is a fast spooling turbo, but even lugging around town in 5th or 6th gear it stayed pretty clean. I could make it smoke if I wanted to in the hot tune, but for the most part it stayed down to a light haze and that was accelerating to get on the interstate.

Also ridden in a truck with Cale's tunes, 250/100's, and a stock H2E. Again, pretty smooth running tunes, but didn't idle quite as nice as Matt's. Driving around town, it's easy to keep smoke down unless you grab the hot tune, then it's fairly smokey around 1/2 throttle. Also, at full throttle it made a constant stream of smoke, but the truck really needs more air to take care of that.

Overall between those two trucks, I liked Matt's tunes better. The engine just idled smoother and was nice to drive around town. No worry about smoking out the guy behind you, even with a 6 speed.

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
I run matt's tunes on 180/100 and it runs really clean even with just the stock turbo. light haze on the all out tune but that's about it. He will be getting more business from me when I get it live tuned too.

JDub

Reaction score
We would be more than happy to make some adjustments in your tuning and see if we can improve low end response and smoke output. There is a fine line to work with, running that manual tranny gives you control of the rpm's and when/how respsonsive the turbo can be, but given some time, the engine tuning can be improved upon.

Let me know if I can help...

Last edited:

BigRed97

Reaction score
i have a DP chip and a Swamps chip

the "stock" file on the DP will smoke like a frieght train if i lay into it

the "near stock" swamps tune is way less smokey(still more than i'd like) but its very controlable

I'll be ordering Matt's tunes toward the end of summer to try out

TARM

Reaction score
If your injectors and what not are in decent shape Matt's stock tunes especially do not produce smoke. The only one to produce any substantial smoke is the top race tune.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
If your injectors and what not are in decent shape Matt's stock tunes especially do not produce smoke. The only one to produce any substantial smoke is the top race tune.

I tend to agree here.

Driving in any tune for that matter, you have to try to make smoke.

Even Matts drag file good puff then, clean.

Latest posts

Members online