Tuner Less Noticable with a Manual or Just Not Working Right - PHP Hydra

ja_cain

Reaction score
Just went out to plug my red tube back and what do you know, soot on the driver side uppipe. Will try to take a good picture of it and post it here so you have an idea of what to look for.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Here is with the red tube plugged in. Pw is still a little high due to it trying to get on top of the turbo with the leaky up pipes.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1410709417870.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1410709417870.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 63

ja_cain

Reaction score
Here are pics of my leaky up pipes. This is one of the things you want to check for. First one is drivers side.

d4c3ec0ad8ee8ba44c9770b03c32930e.jpg

86d4a096267d8d8b338af9b5c82a6ff6.jpg

Freerider15

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics and numbers.

So reloaded the tunes to see if that might be it...nope.

I'll take a look at my up pipes...but even with "weak" stuff I should be seeing SOMETHING.

Was at a fellow 4x4er's shop in Northern Colorado today. He runs the Hydra and agrees even if things were weak, I should be feeling SOME sort of pick me up.

Question: Those of you that run the PHP Hydra...do you need an activation code for stock tunes? Or, is that ONLY for custom calibrated tunes?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
get the tin re done where the chip plugs in... same issues I had when I did the first newb mistake... didnt even know tin was on it.. sent it off to Johnathan, when he was still At beans, to have him solder it up... it got to the point where I could slam the door anx it would kill the truck.

live life full throttle

ja_cain

Reaction score
Wow! They removed the conformal coating where nothing is supposed to make contact. When I was a tech, I used to just use an eraser if they weren't gold plated and follow up with ipa. Tinning can be pretty easy as long as you prep the contacts. May be a good idea to use some kind of sink so you don't lift a contact. Anyone know how much they normally charge to re-tin?

Freerider15

Reaction score
Wow! They removed the conformal coating where nothing is supposed to make contact. When I was a tech, I used to just use an eraser if they weren't gold plated and follow up with ipa. Tinning can be pretty easy as long as you prep the contacts. May be a good idea to use some kind of sink so you don't lift a contact. Anyone know how much they normally charge to re-tin?

Yeah they went a weeee bit overboard.

I'm sure that it wouldn't be too hard...but in this case I'd rather trust someone familiar with it.

The reason I was thinking of possibly sending it off to Jody or Bill, is that I'm hoping they could re-tin it, and then hook it up to make sure its working. I'd hate to have it re-tin'd, only to not have it work and start chasing other things as well. I'd like to be able to rule out the PCM 110%.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Yeah they went a weeee bit overboard.

I'm sure that it wouldn't be too hard...but in this case I'd rather trust someone familiar with it.

The reason I was thinking of possibly sending it off to Jody or Bill, is that I'm hoping they could re-tin it, and then hook it up to make sure its working. I'd hate to have it re-tin'd, only to not have it work and start chasing other things as well. I'd like to be able to rule out the PCM 110%.
That's a good point. The should be able to see if it's ever been flashed before too.

Freerider15

Reaction score
Oooookie dokie, back to the top with this.

So I sent the PCM and Hydra off to PHP. Had them re-tin the PCM and make sure the Hydra and PCM were communicating properly. So, all is good from that end...however...still no real "difference" in feeling between stock and 80DD. :(

I drove it around for about the last hour. Drove it in stock and 80DD with the ICP plugged in as well as stock and 80DD with the ICP unplugged.

I made sure to keep a baseline test. My test for the most part was 50% throttle from 1st through 4th gear. Didn't seem to pick up boost any quicker, or get to 45mph any quicker.

Only difference I noticed was the stumbly idle when the ICP was unplugged. From that, it would tell me the ICP is fine (though I'm still planning on replacing it).

So, I guess next thing to do would be plug the dongle back in, and do a loop while recording values over time and not just showing their highest and lowest values?

This is a wee bit disheartening...

farmall99

Reaction score
How was smoke? Did you try any of the other tunes? I may have missed it, but do you have the basics covered like: Intake, Exhaust, and gauges? A boost gauge and pyrometer would go a long ways in helping diagnose what may be wrong with your truck. Ex. High egt low boost etc.

Freerider15

Reaction score
How was smoke? Did you try any of the other tunes? I may have missed it, but do you have the basics covered like: Intake, Exhaust, and gauges? A boost gauge and pyrometer would go a long ways in helping diagnose what may be wrong with your truck. Ex. High egt low boost etc.

Couldn't much tell you on smoke since it was dark out. I tried "stock" and 80DD.

I'll reprogram it tomorrow to make sure other tunes (like high idle and whisper) work.

I've got the basics covered as far as intake (AIS), and exhaust (4" turbo back). I've got some Isspro EV2s (Fuel pressure, Boost, Pyro) that I need to get installed...just need to get some color matching paint and a free weekend.

I've been told my truck should feel like "a rocket" compared to stock...can't say I would call it that LOL

superpsd

Reaction score
My truck is an obs with the zf5. I have php canned tunes 65dd and 80performance(TS chip) it was night and day. Also my stock tune would barely hit 2800 ICP. Higher tunes spike the pressure to 3300 on a hard slap in the lower gears. WOT in the latter gears holds and maintains 3000.

Last edited:

Freerider15

Reaction score
My truck is an obs with the zf5. I have php canned tunes 65dd and 80performance(TS chip) it was night and day. Also my stock tune would barely hit 2800 ICP. Higher tunes spike the pressure to 3300 on a hard slap in the lower gears. WOT in the latter gears holds and maintains 3000.

That's what I keep getting told.

Even without any gauges to confirm it should make the truck feel night and day different.

I look at getting my gauges in and getting the Torque app reading again.

My first question would be...where to start?

I'll be replacing the ICP, but when looking at readings what should I be monitoring, what should I be seeing, etc.?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
That's what I keep getting told.

Even without any gauges to confirm it should make the truck feel night and day different.

I look at getting my gauges in and getting the Torque app reading again.

My first question would be...where to start?

I'll be replacing the ICP, but when looking at readings what should I be monitoring, what should I be seeing, etc.?
copy the screenshot in post #22 for your tq app....

one thing to try is to switch tunes on the fly when in overdrive while just leaning into the throttle or going up a slight grade. you will feel something or the injectors will change tune...

live life full throttle

farmall99

Reaction score

one thing to try is to switch tunes on the fly when in overdrive while just leaning into the throttle or going up a slight grade. you will feel something or the injectors will change tune...

live life full throttle

:whs: the hotter the tune the louder mine gets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ja_cain

Reaction score

live life full throttle
Good advice. Icp, ipr% or pw should change significantly after changing the tune.

Can't remember, but did you check your uppipes for leaks? Do you have any smoke specificaly in the stock tune under a full throttle run?

ghohouston

Reaction score
i dont quite get what you mean by "I did a WOT (as much as you can with a manual)" I can redline my obs without problem, so what exactly do you mean? How many miles since the hpop re seal?

My 97 is a good running truck without a chip, but theres no question, it is a night and day difference. Something has to be up. Same story with my old super duty.

superpsd

Reaction score
Yep I can hear the timing change cruising down the highway and toggling the tunes. I can also see changes in ICP. Try that out.

clydesdale

Reaction score
I have a zf6 and PHP 50 tow and 80 DD. I can tell a huge difference. You notice it really when you hit 3rd gear. There is some smoke, turbo spools faster and there is way more power. It makes the truck much more friendly. These manual trucks are too damn slow in stock. In the 80dd it is much more friendly and I don't get people attempting to drive right through the back of me when I leave a traffic light.

Latest posts

Members online