Turbine wheel sizes...

Groomzybanshee

Reaction score
What you guys think about these turbine wheel sizes compared to compressor wheels?

62/71
66/76
71/8x
76/88 or???
80/xx????

Just trying to get a good turbo discussion here...

Magnum PD

Reaction score
On what turbo series? Trying to get a van turbine wheel for my turbo.

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
The problem is that the compressor inducer is the smaller measurement, and the exducer is the larger measurement. Due to the fact the air travels the opposite way through the turbine the inducer and exducer are reversed. So you label the compressor by the smaller measurement but then measure the turbine by the larger diameter, but it doesnt make sense as it all has to go through the smaller measurement before leaving the turbo. It seems to be the industry standard but alot of people go by it. If there's a reason for it feel free to elaborate.

Ideally IMO you'd want the largest diameter wheel possible to have a larger opening for gasses to pass through, but a tighter ratio turbine to keep response good.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
On a 2.6 truck with a 76 mm wheel what size do you guys think the turbine Should be? As I feel mine is too small...

How about giving us the turbo rule you want to run under so we can have a better discussion?

a 76/83 S400 based turbo is a street charger.... an 88mm turbine wheel is better, a 92mm turbine wheel is as big as you can go in the T4 foot, and the 96mm turbine wheel is as big as you can go in an S400 without more headache. There is a ton more variables that are needed to be considered other than "what is a good turbo?" - like RPM, fuel delivery capabilities, compressor wheel design, turbine wheel design (If you think compressor wheels are voodoo..... turbine wheels are worse....).

Max effort 2.6 charger in a Borg Warner platform is an S400 based charger with a the billet wheel of choice for your builder in about an 80mm range, clipped for protrusion, 96mm turbine wheel with a relatively tight A/R. Holset platform is based off the HX60 with similar features. I've threatened a few times in the last year to build a compact GT55 to 2.6 specs..... great turbine wheel design, and the compact version that is available in the aftermarket is physically smaller than the S400 which gets around some of those crazy compressor cover rules about outside diameter trying to keep "big" chargers out of the class. Obviously I don't know of anyone truly running a cutting edge 2.6 charger on a 7.3, so you are somewhat on your own, but if it were me, I wouldn't hesitate to do it if that was what I was after.

Groomzybanshee

Reaction score
My turbo is a Garrett started out as a 3x3 superfarm turbo ran it a few pulls then told my turbo builder the turbine needed to be bigger. so he had another charger we tried witch helped quite a bit but it's still only in the 83mm range. Running a 1:15 housing. Spoiling is not a problem this charger spools about like my s366.

PSDEng

Reaction score
I get the feeling you don't want to divulge the exact specs of your turbo, which is fine, but the obscurity is going to reduce the quality of this discussion.

I saw that you have your 350/200s up for grabs, which makes me think that you're switching to a larger injector...

FWIW I am running a s475/88 with a 96mm inducer for the turbine (not 100% sure on the exducer size of the turbine :doh:) with a 1.15 housing. I have the wheel clipped for protrusion and the mwe machined out on my 2.6 cover. I rarely use the 3.0 cover, less a few pulls a year, but I don't see much of a power gain with it on anyways. It runs very nice when hooked to a sled, but not so much on the street, it's a smokey pig which is why it never sees street action anymore. I've considered going with a larger exhaust housing, but I'm almost positive I'd fall under it at the end of the track leaving me with no spin-out, and I don't want that.

Just my experiences, hope this helps with your decisions....

Last edited:

Groomzybanshee

Reaction score
The turbo is a billet 76mm compressor wheel clipped and protuded to a 2.6 the turbine is around 83mm with a 1:15 housing.... This charge cleaned up my 350s witch is why I went bigger. I just was think and think I could gain from upping turbine sizes...

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Hrt more info on the gt 55 setup... Wouldnt that be like 9xmm compressor wheel with a 1xx turbine?

Close, but what I have in mind is not an off the shelf unit by any means.... 89mm inducer on the compressor wheel, 111mm inducer on the turbine wheel, That is as far as I go on free info for competition. Hope it helped.

Groomzybanshee

Reaction score
Close, but what I have in mind is not an off the shelf unit by any means.... 89mm inducer on the compressor wheel, 111mm inducer on the turbine wheel, That is as far as I go on free info for competition. Hope it helped.

I keep thinking about this.... Seems like it would be a bitch to spool and snuff at the big end bad in the 2.6 class unless I'm turning some crazy rpm with heui...

Latest posts

Members online