Turbo discussion thread

mclean

Reaction score
I already have the 76. I kinda just want to try something different. If it ends up being a turd I will downsize the vgt to a 62. 750hp is where I want to be I just want to get there in a different way.

I asked about this as well and all I got was to buy the 62...nobody really gave me a reason. I have the 76 right now and wanted to try something different...still half thinking about the 66 so then if I do want to upgrade to max powers I just have to upgrade the lp and not both

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Just from personal experience the 62 will make your truck stupid fun to drive on the street, nothing wrong with upgrading to an 82 or an 88 down the road and keeping the 62mm in place. Will you be giving up some hp with a 62 instead of a 66. maybe a little but to me the driveability of the 62 is well worth the maybe 50 hp lost

I have been meaning to test a 66vs a 62mm on my set up to see if and how much power changes between the two. At any rate being a vgt it will be fun to drive

TXlineman83

Reaction score
72 vs 76 mil atmosphere with stock high pressure. I'm looking for best bang for the buck. Stock fuel system. Possible air dog 2 later on. Any suggestion. I can list my full mods if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
Looks like a pretty good setup. I wouldn't hesitate to go with the 76mm given the success JD has had with it.

B585Ford

Reaction score
72 vs 76 mil atmosphere with stock high pressure. I'm looking for best bang for the buck. Stock fuel system. Possible air dog 2 later on. Any suggestion. I can list my full mods if needed.

No AD. A-1000 or Fuel Lab

B585Ford

Reaction score
What's diff from the AD

They ch#t to bed as often. A-1000 is areomotive pump and most people havent had reliability issues with it (for example see Marty's Diesel in the vendor section). Fuel Lab doesn't have an official pump for the 6.4, but Morgan sells a kit so it can be run on a 6.4. Fuel Lab are brushless pumps.

TXlineman83

Reaction score
I like aeromotive quality at its finest in my opinion. Never seen any of their diesel products though. I'll take a look at it online. AD2 was choice as my buddies cummins works flawlessly with it.

3brorce

Reaction score
Some have problems, some dont. Most have much less problem with a FASS over AD though.

getstroked27

Reaction score
all this talk of VGT's and such scares me!!! LOL in the next few weeks ill be playing with a custom single setup. im currently between a 366, 367fmw or a 472. stock fuel/stock trans until i have the cash flow. anyone have any experience with a 367FMW???

getstroked27

Reaction score
i know its been done before. and ive talked to mpd about it already. i was simply asking about turbos because this is a turbo thread and not much has been said about singles or non vgt setups.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
I'm running an MPD mounting kit and up pipes with a High Tech Turbo S371 turbo, Gearhead MCC tuning. Love it, my favorite set up I've had so far.

promodracer

Reaction score
Jerry did that with small nozzles (60s) but he does have dual fuelers. I have always been curious what ported heads and stock fuel would.
my truck has cnc ported heads by ktre. stock turbos and injectors till now. i run aeromotive lift pump bypass system with dragon fire pump. ported my own intake. springs retainers pushrods. ported rails...
i do not know how inaccurate my kem tuned spartan tuner is on tq but ive seen 1083 ft lbs of torque. right before i sheared input shaft at 2700 miles. but i see 700 and 800 all the time.doing tow powers now. for what its worth i run out of fuel barely in 310 tune i think.
makes me think the head flow is to blame.

B585Ford

Reaction score
my truck has cnc ported heads by ktre. stock turbos and injectors till now. i run aeromotive lift pump bypass system with dragon fire pump. ported my own intake. springs retainers pushrods. ported rails...
i do not know how inaccurate my kem tuned spartan tuner is on tq but ive seen 1083 ft lbs of torque. right before i sheared input shaft at 2700 miles. but i see 700 and 800 all the time.doing tow powers now. for what its worth i run out of fuel barely in 310 tune i think.
makes me think the head flow is to blame.

I agree that head flow is probably an issue. My guess is for real big powa, the whole damn heads would need replaced (along with the intake manny) that could flow more, but even with smaller applications, trying to compare different trucks (which aint apples to apples), it seems like porting probably doesn't give a whole lot more (probably due to the heads still be stingy)...at least that is my best guess.