turbos on 6.7 suck

Dieselboy

Reaction score
anyway to monitor back pressure on a 6.7?

Sounds to me like they are sensitive to overspeed, or they have an air filter issue

Theres a tab on the air filter lid that if you install the top wrong it breaks off and ends up on the wrong side of the filter and gets sucked into the turbo.

powerSmokin

Reaction score
This is why you don't jump the gun and buy a first gen FORD diesel motor, wait til the kinks are worked out. So far the eco boost motor is my favorite out of their lineup. I think their engineers are getting too old and are forgetting how to design these properly YET reliable.

WoodBoy

Reaction score
This is why you don't jump the gun and buy a first gen FORD diesel motor, wait til the kinks are worked out. So far the eco boost motor is my favorite out of their lineup. I think their engineers are getting too old and are forgetting how to design these properly YET reliable.

So if no one buys the first gen motors, then no kinks get worked out. The more they sell, the more tear up, the faster they get on it and fix it

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score

Ford didn't design the turbo. First gen motors being faulty is consumer skepticism in all reality. It's not like they are thrown together on a bench an letting the general public R&D it lol

I*C*B*M

Reaction score
Remember when LBZ duramax's were spinning cam bearings and closing up the oil journal tjat fed the turbo? Sounds like an oil feed issue to me?!?!

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Remember when LBZ duramax's were spinning cam bearings and closing up the oil journal tjat fed the turbo? Sounds like an oil feed issue to me?!?!

It'd not an oiling issue that I've seen. It's just the charger design. Pretty easily overspeed in stock form. I've been looking for boost:drive numbers on failures but nobody ever has anything but a handful of broke chit lol

powerSmokin

Reaction score
So if no one buys the first gen motors, then no kinks get worked out. The more they sell, the more tear up, the faster they get on it and fix it

True but that is what pre testing trucks are for before release, if they were smart they would give a company a hand full that really uses their trucks day in and out so that these kinks come up quicker before the release date.

Reaction score
It's just the charger design. Pretty easily overspeed in stock form.

that pretty much sums it up. great turbo in stock configuration. it is pretty much maxed out, so as soon as you tune it, the odds are it is on the edge of overspeed. so yes the OP's failure is tune related. as to the "honesty" of anyone who would pull the tuner, and deny its use....... I wouldn't ever buy anything from him. simply on the principle

Powerstrokeracing

Reaction score
91,700 miles now almost all tuned still on factory turbo. It's been an amazing truck not had a single problem. I think these motors are great and ford is having great results.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.