Twins vs single.

Redneck6.0L

Reaction score
depends if you were near someone who fabs this stuff, like Matt in cali told a few guys, 5500 for a turbo setup, and then install time, talk to MPD i see your in NJ, they might be able to help you out

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
That is what HotRodTractor was gonna guess if he was to do one and as big a pain as they can be i would concur. Also depends some on materials stainless vs. steel piping i know i have almost three hundy wrapped up in fittings alone not including pipe or anything else.

Countryboy07

Reaction score
All this talk about compounds/twins on a Powerstroke is really making me happy I am putting a Cummins into my '97! LOL Don't get me wrong, I loved my Powerstroke, but the ease of moding a Cummins and putting Compounds/twins on them is a cake walk compared to running them on a powerstroke.

Depending on what you are planning on doing with the truck will ultimately dictate what turbo arangement you run on your truck. As Mink said, if you sled pull, most santioning bodies only allow a single turbo unless your running in the open class... If you want your truck to be modified and still tow, compounds/twins would be your best bet.

In my case, I am going to be running a HE351 (60/60/9) over an S475 or S471 for towing and smoke free performance on my p-pumped 24V motor.

-French

6.0dirtworker

Reaction score
Correct...the smaller turbo does not "add" any air. (Where would the "Extra" air come from?)

I was curious if someone were to put a filter on each compressor and have each outlet y pipe into the intercooler, but have the turbines fabbed up smaller to bigger like how it's supposed to. Any issues with that, maf?

Ive talked to Craig about running a s3,4,5 setup, but that'll be down the road after I explore compounds. Anyone have feedback on this?

windrunner408

Reaction score
I would think that whatever compounding the low pressure turbo would be doing would just pushed out the filter that you had on the high pressure turbo and you wouldnt actually be using your second turbo at all. JMO and I probably have something screwed up.

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
I was curious if someone were to put a filter on each compressor and have each outlet y pipe into the intercooler, but have the turbines fabbed up smaller to bigger like how it's supposed to. Any issues with that, maf?

Ive talked to Craig about running a s3,4,5 setup, but that'll be down the road after I explore compounds. Anyone have feedback on this?

so you're saying run true "twin" turbos but one with a larger A/R turbine than the other? still going to run a small turbo and a large one? i think once the big charger is lit it would be pushing more air than the smaller charger and cancelling it out.

Garrett

6.0dirtworker

Reaction score
Disregard that post, I wasn't making sense from no sleep.
th_Twins-1.png

Here's my setup, sorry about the size. I was thinking of putting a filter on each inlet and not having that big j pipe there, i would just make a new pipe that y's each turbo outlet into the intercooler, but the hot side would be attached the same as above, smaller to bigger. I have no idea why I thought that would pull more air in opposed to my piping now. Probably more restriction with that second filter. I was thinking it would be easier on the eyes without the wrap around j pipe.

What I'm really curious about is doing the s300,400,500 setup. Would it be worth fabbing this up or should I stick with my compounds. If it's worth it I'll start making the bracket and save up for the s5

Last edited:

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
so you're thinking triple compound? S5 into S4 into S3? is there room for that? why not ditch the S4 and run 2 primaries that will combined flow more than your current S4.

Garrett

6.0dirtworker

Reaction score
Two primaries is running a turbo off each bank? Only reason is bc I haven't seen results on that. I saw erics triple setup from Craig made 700s with two s364s and a 66. I asked Craig and he told me it would have to be all s3's or s3,4,5 combo. I was going to remove the ac and cut if I have to.

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
Two primaries is running a turbo off each bank? Only reason is bc I haven't seen results on that. I saw erics triple setup from Craig made 700s with two s364s and a 66. I asked Craig and he told me it would have to be all s3's or s3,4,5 combo. I was going to remove the ac and cut if I have to.

two primaries is simply putting 2 turbos after the secondary. manifolds feed the secondary, outlet of the secondary feeds the turbine inlets of the primaries. get rid of your S4 and get 2 S3s.

Garrett

nvme_63

Reaction score
Disregard that post, I wasn't making sense from no sleep.
th_Twins-1.png

Here's my setup, sorry about the size. I was thinking of putting a filter on each inlet and not having that big j pipe there, i would just make a new pipe that y's each turbo outlet into the intercooler, but the hot side would be attached the same as above, smaller to bigger. I have no idea why I thought that would pull more air in opposed to my piping now. Probably more restriction with that second filter. I was thinking it would be easier on the eyes without the wrap around j pipe.

What I'm really curious about is doing the s300,400,500 setup. Would it be worth fabbing this up or should I stick with my compounds. If it's worth it I'll start making the bracket and save up for the s5

maybe i read this wrong, but if you got rid off your "J" it would defeat the purpose of the compounds. you would no longer be compressing the air that enters your small charger. again maybe i miss interpreted what you meant........

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
maybe i read this wrong, but if you got rid off your "J" it would defeat the purpose of the compounds. you would no longer be compressing the air that enters your small charger. again maybe i miss interpreted what you meant........

no, that is what he was saying. and like you said, it would defeat the purpose of compound turbos.

Garrett

6.0dirtworker

Reaction score
two primaries is simply putting 2 turbos after the secondary. manifolds feed the secondary, outlet of the secondary feeds the turbine inlets of the primaries. get rid of your S4 and get 2 S3s.

Garrett

Like this?
c0aa1a64.png

Both chargers compressed air would y out of each others outlet into each other right before the intercooler, they would suck in their own air from the atmosphere. I guess having the low pressure feed the high pressure would make the air more dense instead of each charger pulling in their own air.

I know it was a dumb question, that's why I built the j. Because it's how other people built their setup, so I knew it would work.

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
Like this?
c0aa1a64.png

Both chargers compressed air would y out of each others outlet into each other right before the intercooler, they would suck in their own air from the atmosphere. I guess having the low pressure feed the high pressure would make the air more dense instead of each charger pulling in their own air.

I know it was a dumb question, that's why I built the j. Because it's how other people built their setup, so I knew it would work.

yup, like that.

compound turbos are used on diesels for a reason. it takes X amount of psi to get Y amount of air into an engine. the higher Y is, the higher X is.

Garrett

6.0dirtworker

Reaction score
I just gotta figure out how he did the sizing. I was seeing if i could build a bigger set and it would function right. It would be biggest to smallest s5 first on the outside, s4 second, then mounting the s3 in stock location. I thought my only problem would be my space for the chargers in the passenger side.

Super 6.0

Reaction score
Have you done any math to figure the pressure ratios for this 3-4-5 set up that would keep all three from under or over speeding?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

6.0dirtworker

Reaction score
First off you need to post more LOL

And no I honestly have no idea how. I think I read once what you have to do.

14.7psia (down here in San Antonio) - 1psig (for the filter restriction)= 13.7 at the compressor inlet

And then getting the pressure ratio will be

(Boost desired out of the turbo) XXpsig+ 14.7psia/ 13.7psia= pressure ratio

Is that what I use for each turbo or am I off?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.