Twins vs single.

Extended Power

Reaction score
I think if you backed out of it really fast a few times, the stock charger would "Exit....stage left".

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I think if you backed out of it really fast a few times, the stock charger would "Exit....stage left".

Blow off valve is a good idea anyway... not saying it would be the best just saying it would work.
And that wouldn't really be any different than a stock turbo by itself anyway...

windrunner408

Reaction score
I guess one could always try it with a stock turbo until it failed but I think I would just start with a non-VGT. JMO.

motoxracer42

Reaction score
Disregard that post, I wasn't making sense from no sleep.
th_Twins-1.png

Here's my setup, sorry about the size. I was thinking of putting a filter on each inlet and not having that big j pipe there, i would just make a new pipe that y's each turbo outlet into the intercooler, but the hot side would be attached the same as above, smaller to bigger. I have no idea why I thought that would pull more air in opposed to my piping now. Probably more restriction with that second filter. I was thinking it would be easier on the eyes without the wrap around j pipe.

What I'm really curious about is doing the s300,400,500 setup. Would it be worth fabbing this up or should I stick with my compounds. If it's worth it I'll start making the bracket and save up for the s5

in order for this to work at all the s5 would have to be the only atmospheric charger. turbine wheel on an s5 is alot bigger than an s4. maybe thats the way your explaining it but thats not what im picking up. i think compounds would outperform it but i would like to see it lol.

Super 6.0

Reaction score
Me and a buddy had the same idea and did some math to figure out the pressure ratios that all three chargers would be at in order to function somewhat decent and this was jus approximate calculations.

Its a little confusing to do backwards but if you set a goal of say 80psi total after all stages of compounding and you worked backwards the largest charger would be at an extremely low pressure ratio. Im talking like the amount of boost it would produce is in the single digits. It would be virtually worthless.

So next let's say you want to bring that large charger up to par so for example 15psi. which would put it at a fairly good pressure ratio for longevity and good performance, 2.2-2.5% so now work the same math forward this time towards an unknown end result. By the time you compound those numbers two more times your looking at 200+ psi!!

Im not claiming this to be completely accurate. This was using approximate rounded numbers. That being said if a 6.0 was forced to eat that much air it would probably be more productive to count the number of pieces its in after it explodes rather than the hp. IMO

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
I thought I had asked about compounding my stock charger and people telling me not to do it.

Also, I know I'm late to reply but as far as stock sticks, 62 non-vgt and a 475, I think it would spool slower as compounds than as a single 62? Throw some injectors in the mix and it would change quite a bit.

Garrett

Probably getting paid at work to post this from my D1

da94broncodude

Reaction score
Honestly the s3/4/5 the way you are thinking of doing it would be a cluster imo and not worth the hassle why? local guy to me has been building triple kits on dmaxs, and i have been following him as well mpd on the triple setup already posted. Trent the owner of Extreme prejudice racing, is the dmax guy and when i first spoke with him about running the triples on an lb7 i asked why?! he said the chargers he specd out, and used in the beginning/base kit outflowed an s480 and guess what Spools a hell of a lot faster, fast forward 6 months later a friend of mine had and lbz done removing factory vgt and using 3 non vgts, i know the sizes but am not suppose to publicize it however this particular truck put down 945hp and you would never know it, its so driveable, can still tow etc.
To top it off this past weekend i rode in my buddys 05 dodge with a triple setup by epr stock injectors, modded cp3, airdog, smarty on 8 or 9 i believe made 580hp, well the ride i took was to the local sand dunes and he was towing a 25ft enclosed with mine and his rzrs, so amazing i really want to triple my truck as well now just because of these two, mainly cause it seems we have all these crafty ideas diverter valves etc just so we can run a decent size single, even then were limited on towing, i think a properly setup triple on a 6.0 we can get up there hp wise and still have quick spool with low egt, heres some pics for reference

EPR Dmax
DSCF5606.jpg

DSCF5601.jpg

The dodge i spoke of by EPR
DSCF5784.jpg

his crazy race truck setup, ran best time of 9.87 with his old setup, this setup best of like 10.01 i watched him run the 10.19, blew and injector cup half track basically coasted the 10 sec time
DSCF5443.jpg

DSCF5427.jpg

DSCF5440.jpg

Last edited:

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
I can up the 75 to an 83. I didnt know if a s510ish charger would net me a solid gain over the compounds. If it's minimal I would rather just do two big chargers.

just a quick comparison.

GT4202r at 74.7mm flows about 95lb/min.
GTX4202r at 75.8mm flows about 115lb/min.
GT4508r at 79.8mm flows about 112lb/min.
GTX4508r at 79.8mm flows about 125lb/min.
GT4708r at 79.8mm flows about 115lb/min.
GT4718r at 87.8mm flows almost 140lb/min.

GTX series aside, stepping up from a "75mm" charger to an "88mm" charger nets you 40lb/min+ depending on pr.

still wanna try to cram an S5 in there?

go one step further.

GT5533r at 91.2mm flows about 155lb/min.

Garrett

6.0dirtworker

Reaction score
in order for this to work at all the s5 would have to be the only atmospheric charger. turbine wheel on an s5 is alot bigger than an s4. maybe thats the way your explaining it but thats not what im picking up. i think compounds would outperform it but i would like to see it lol.

Thanks for the pm, I'll call you soon about it.

just a quick comparison.

GT4202r at 74.7mm flows about 95lb/min.
GTX4202r at 75.8mm flows about 115lb/min.
GT4508r at 79.8mm flows about 112lb/min.
GTX4508r at 79.8mm flows about 125lb/min.
GT4708r at 79.8mm flows about 115lb/min.
GT4718r at 87.8mm flows almost 140lb/min.

GTX series aside, stepping up from a "75mm" charger to an "88mm" charger nets you 40lb/min+ depending on pr.

still wanna try to cram an S5 in there?

go one step further.

GT5533r at 91.2mm flows about 155lb/min.

Garrett

Price was the only factor, 3800 for the gt55. And I know a guy that has one off a cat3600 with no use for it. I could never find the lb/min for the 510, but I barely looked for it since I could buy the turbo cheap.

I've wanted my turbos setup like that duramax with air to water. The reason I asked is bc I have a lot of pipe sitting here that I could put to use.

I could always do a 70mm high pressure with a s5, it would take some nos to spool it.

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
First things first, I'll be posting about how the 66 83 combo does.

Just curious but why did you go with a 66/75 set the first time. Seems like a weird pairing, unless that's a typical powerstroke twin set. I would be will to bet that you would like a 64/88 set. Just like some of the cummins guys are doing with small secondaries and large primaries. I wish I still had interest to twin mine, I would go for a 60 or 62 with like a 480.

Garrett

smokinstroker

Reaction score
he had a 62/70 before, got a good deal on a batmo 66 )which is supposed to spool like a 62-64)

also he has plenty of fuel for a 66

6.0dirtworker

Reaction score
Good deal I never got to get any good numbers with mine before I took them off.

Now your on another level

Just curious but why did you go with a 66/75 set the first time. Seems like a weird pairing, unless that's a typical powerstroke twin set. I would be will to bet that you would like a 64/88 set. Just like some of the cummins guys are doing with small secondaries and large primaries. I wish I still had interest to twin mine, I would go for a 60 or 62 with like a 480.

Garrett

What Chris said. If I'm keeping what I've got, I'll be upping from 75 to 83. I want to crack tens with this setup.

Latest posts

Members online