twins with stock tranny?!?!

NORCAL6.0

Reaction score
cant find any other threads for what im trying to build....if there is please send me the link...

im doing a twin kit with a 62/70 and a S474, 190's for sticks, AD165, and tunes...(who ever's).... all of this with a stock tranny, just upgrade the clutch pack and the valve body. the truck is a daily driver that tows on occasion

any thoughts would be great! thanks

strokin6L

Reaction score
sure it'll hold...but dont expect to run a tune any higher than a tow tune cause it'll start slippin bad with anything higher than that. I remember Shawn installing twins on his dually with running the stock trans and it didn't like it too much.

RedSmokey

Reaction score
cant find any other threads for what im trying to build....if there is please send me the link...

im doing a twin kit with a 62/70 and a S474, 190's for sticks, AD165, and tunes...(who ever's).... all of this with a stock tranny, just upgrade the clutch pack and the valve body. the truck is a daily driver that tows on occasion

any thoughts would be great! thanks

Your ganna throw twins on but not a trans? How ass backwards are you Matt? LOL

NORCAL6.0

Reaction score
so would i have to do a full build on the tranny to run the higher tunes or are there some other things/ways i can work around it....reasons is i have warranty tell 200,000 miles... trying to keep the tranny cheap so if it goes, i dont have to much into it;)

RedSmokey

Reaction score
so would i have to do a full build on the tranny to run the higher tunes or are there some other things/ways i can work around it....reasons is i have warranty tell 200,000 miles... trying to keep the tranny cheap so if it goes, i dont have to much into it;)

You dont think they will pop the hood and see twins on the motor, then void the warranty? Or you have some hook up? :naughty:

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Clutches and valve body? since when did a 5r get a valve body? By clutches do you mean you have new clutches in the trans? Need a little more explanation to this

The stock trans should last a little while if you have it tuned conservatively, Matt moroni ran his like that for a little while until it blew itself up LOL

NORCAL6.0

Reaction score
Clutches and valve body? since when did a 5r get a valve body? By clutches do you mean you have new clutches in the trans? Need a little more explanation to this

The stock trans should last a little while if you have it tuned conservatively, Matt moroni ran his like that for a little while until it blew itself up LOL

yes matt and i have been on the phone talking about this a lot lately.... on your second question.... just getting aftermarket parts for the tranny....without buying a full billet

Last edited:

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
A modded direct solenoid and new clutches (with more clutches than stock) will work just fine, add in a converter later down the road? Thats what I did and so far so good.

NORCAL6.0

Reaction score
ok thanks.... well know when its put together and it holds or not....what do you think on the fuel of the build?

windrunner408

Reaction score
190s will be plenty especially if used with 100% nozzles. More than enough to burn the tranny up.

motoxracer42

Reaction score

Trans didnt blow itself up lol. i burned the direct clutches racing in redding while spraying the crap out of it (Ellertons Idea lol). Matt you will be fine as long as you are tuned correctly. If you decide you want to add the direct solenoid you need to tell your tuner. You will be looking for a tow truck if not lol. You can also mod the pump and run two solenoids if you run billet shafts. 190s will barely be enough fuel. it will clean up completely.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Trans didnt blow itself up lol. i burned the direct clutches racing in redding while spraying the crap out of it (Ellertons Idea lol). Matt you will be fine as long as you are tuned correctly. If you decide you want to add the direct solenoid you need to tell your tuner. You will be looking for a tow truck if not lol. You can also mod the pump and run two solenoids if you run billet shafts. 190s will barely be enough fuel. it will clean up completely.

whats the difference? LOL Like Matt stated, tuning is key.

Latest posts